Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to find a solution on the forum to my dogs very bad gas.

She is a 5 year old Rottweiler in very good shape.

She is fed twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. Each meal consists of 1 and 1/2 cup of Wellness Core, about 3 ounces of cooked chicken, 1/2 teaspoon of Missing Link, 1/2 teaspoon of a probiotic, and 1 capsule of fish oil.

Her problem is not constant. Her meals are. She is a good eater, and active. I have tried giving her a spoon of yogurt with each meal for weeks, but the gas is still inconsistent.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You could try stopping one of the addtions for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

I am not a fan of ML as it gave Sassy enormous poops but don't remember if there was also gas. It could be that brand of fish oil or too much probiotic.

You could try dropping the amount of kibble fed just a bit to see how she does. Sometimes too much food doesn't make a dog fat, they just poop it out. I suppose that might occasionally result in gas.

Just do one thing at a time so you can pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
does the gassiness seem to coincide with the yoghurt? if so, since the gas is not consistent and yoghurt is not part of the daily diet, stop the yoghurt for a while...

i too am not a fan of missing link, although i used to be...missing link has flax seed in it and flax is a bowel irritant, with laxative properties....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the response.

I think I will stop the missing link first. It was my understanding that missing link provided ingredients that dogs need that were not available in the dog foods on the market. Is there anything to replace missing link? Or is there not much benefit in a product like that?

I started giving her the yogurt because I read in the forum that it may help stop the gas, so I know that was not the cause. Even on the yogurt she is inconsistent with the gas.

I will wait to cut back on the probiotics, as I know for sure, if we don't give that to her for more than a few days is when she acts like we gave her a laxative.
So, I appreciate the input, and I will stop the ML today. I will give that 2 weeks, if you think that is long enough, and then see if anything has changed.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i liked missing link.....i really did, until i started researching flax....for humans...and then it led me to researching flax for dogs....because i AM a little ocd LOL

these are the ingredients of missing link:

'Flaxseed, Rice Bran, Primary Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses, Sunflower Seed, Freeze Dried Beef Liver, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Carrot, Ground Beef Bone, Dried Fish Solubles, Ground Barley Grass, Dried Kelp, Freeze Dried Oyster, Zinc Methionine Complex, Lecithin, Selenium Yeast, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, and Vitamin B12 Supplement.'

let's see....flax...garlic....molasses...liver......carrot....fish.....can all contribute to gas, so i think it's a good idea to stop that and see.

i wonder why lack of probiotics gives her a laxative effect. that's odd to me....although every dog is different.

i still think yoghurt is part of your culprit.....dairy products are gas producers and mucus producers, plus yoghurt gave my dogs diarrhea....but again, it's know thy dog....

although, why can't a dog have gas?

humans have gas...it's perfectly healthy....maybe stinky, but healthy...it's just air being ingested with food....and certain foods are gas producers....wellness could have a gas producer in it....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She has been off of the missing link and the yogurt for only a few days. She still has some gas, and now she has the laxative effect that I mentioned earlier.

I will give this a few days, and watch her, of course, but I am sure that the ML and probiotics together is what keeps her regular.

She is on wellness core, and does well on it, but before that she was on Innova and was also doing great. We changed from Innova to Wellness Core because last summer the hair on her back was turning red. She had a blood test and everything was great. When I met up with the breeder she said her dogs were doing great on Wellness, and Innova, and maybe this was a lack of something in her diet. Anyway, we switched to Wellness, the red hair went away.

I don't recall her having gas on Innova, but then agaoin I don't recall lots of things nowadays.;)

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
She is on wellness core, and does well on it, but before that she was on Innova and was also doing great. We changed from Innova to Wellness Core because last summer the hair on her back was turning red. She had a blood test and everything was great. When I met up with the breeder she said her dogs were doing great on Wellness, and Innova, and maybe this was a lack of something in her diet. Anyway, we switched to Wellness, the red hair went away.

I don't recall her having gas on Innova, but then agaoin I don't recall lots of things nowadays.;)
I'm not sure why she has gas, it could be too many different things in each meal but I just wanted to say her hair turning red in the summer has absolutely nothing to do with food. The hair turning red is sun damage and food does nothing to help it. A lot of black dogs or dogs with parts of black color get it, it's pretty normal in the summer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was hoping it was too many things in each meal, but she has been on those things for years with no trouble. Maybe just being a year older changes things. We are going to put her back on Innova, as stopping the missing link and yogurt hasn't changed anything.

Thank you for your response with her hair. Sun damage would be the obvious to us, but being that we live in Arizona, and she has been there since she was 7 weeks old, and we have sun ALL year, we know that is not the case. Once we switched her from Innova to Wellness, her hair resumed its natural color (back in Arizona). Her hair actually turned red during the summer of 2009, while we were spending the summer in Oregon. That was the concern, as there are not many sunny days in Oregon to make anything fade.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
It could have nothing to do with the food. The summer in Oregon may have changed the way she shed her coat that summer. If she held on to it it may have turned red. Max's annoying sticking out undercoat comes in blackish and turns red as it ages then I really get sick of looking at it and remove it. Sassy's best shed ever happened on a hot camping trip, fur was gone by the time we got back and no dog hair in the house for months! If we had gone to Alaska instead of staying in the 80-100* southwest perhaps she wouldn't have shed out like that. Don't know.

Hope the switch back works and you have a nice shiny black dog without gas!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is looking really good right now. Smells a bit:)

She was in to the vet during the time her hair was red, for something else, so in the blood draw they checked everything, and it came back perfect. Just a little mystery about the red hair. She looks much better without the red. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post. She is almost switched over to Innova, so we keep our fingers crossed. ( and noses plugged )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts