Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the middle of nowhere in Brasil, and want to get a clicker to start clicker training with my 10 month old pups.

They have some training from me- a true novice- but I'm thinking a clicker would help my training a lot, since so many trainers I respect use them and have videos about it.

Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,
I bought a basic box clicker at first and it was terrible. Since then I got a StarMark which is the best I've had so far, BUT, before I got the StarMark, I was using a Snapple Ice Tea cap that I half-popped with my knuckle at the edge. If you do it just right, the beverage cap is as loud as a Starmark. Now when you half-pop the cap, you don't actually visibly or forcibly bend it. You just mush down the circle impression of the pop-cap and then try pushing in the opposite side of cap and if done right, it should make that great Click! sound.

You may not have Snapple drinks available, but there must be some substitutes that you can try. Look for non-carbonated drinks with the popping safety caps.

While this may not be a permanent solution, it's cheap and works well enough. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
You can find a good Karen Pryor clicker set on Amazon, and likely find one that will ship to Brazil.

If you don't have a clicker, which is just a marker, vocal marking works just as well. :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I have heard that some people use retractable ballpoint pens for timid dogs. It's a very soft click but dogs have good hearing :).

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I only use a clicker for shaping new things that require a lot of precision. Otherwise I use a verbal marker, "yes". It doesn't matter what sound you use, you can use a pen or a whistle or any other sound that you can produce easily and precisely. It's just a matter of practising the timing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
An LED light works well too (I use it for my deaf dogs, but hearing dogs would do well with a light). But the metal bottle caps, and pens work well too.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the tip! We don't have any containers like that- lids- it's all plastic, foil, or cans here. But I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Hi,
I bought a basic box clicker at first and it was terrible. Since then I got a StarMark which is the best I've had so far, BUT, before I got the StarMark, I was using a Snapple Ice Tea cap that I half-popped with my knuckle at the edge. If you do it just right, the beverage cap is as loud as a Starmark. Now when you half-pop the cap, you don't actually visibly or forcibly bend it. You just mush down the circle impression of the pop-cap and then try pushing in the opposite side of cap and if done right, it should make that great Click! sound.

You may not have Snapple drinks available, but there must be some substitutes that you can try. Look for non-carbonated drinks with the popping safety caps.

While this may not be a permanent solution, it's cheap and works well enough. Good luck!
The jerks at customs take EVERYTHING.

You can find a good Karen Pryor clicker set on Amazon, and likely find one that will ship to Brazil.

If you don't have a clicker, which is just a marker, vocal marking works just as well. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A toy! I hadn't thought of that. This is probably the only idea that will work. And maybe the pen.

A toy store may have a clicker, toy cricket, or toy frog....

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This is interesting....I'd have to go a few hours away on awful roads to find an LED, but I want one for my classes anyway, so maybe!

I definitely have a pen.

An LED light works well too (I use it for my deaf dogs, but hearing dogs would do well with a light). But the metal bottle caps, and pens work well too.
I want to teach loose leash walking for them TOGETHER. When walked separately, they are fine. Together, they turn in to sled dogs!

I only use a clicker for shaping new things that require a lot of precision. Otherwise I use a verbal marker, "yes". It doesn't matter what sound you use, you can use a pen or a whistle or any other sound that you can produce easily and precisely. It's just a matter of practising the timing.

·
Registered
404 Posts
What about a baby rattle? Shake it instead of clicking something.

If you really want a clicker I am willing to buy one and ship it to you. You can pay me via paypal. Just let me know :)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
A toy! I hadn't thought of that. This is probably the only idea that will work.

You can find these gadgets at any place that sells kid's toys, kid's party supplies, novelty items, etc. They won't hold up like a "real" clicker, of course. On the other hand, they should be cheap enough that you can get a few while you're figuring out how to get the real thing.

I don't know where in Brazil you live, but there are dog training facilities in most of the larger Brazilian cities (look on Facebook). While they may be too far for you to regularly commute to, you could certainly call them and ask about getting a "real" clicker..

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in the frontier area of Brasil, in a tiny town in the middle of the Amazon Rainforest! Here most people think you should beat your dogs and never touch them because they are dirty and can make you sick. There aren't any doggie supply places available. My Portuguese is improving, but with only 1 year here, I'm still struggling to communicate. Plus, the quality of things we can buy is quite inferior to the US.

I went looking for a toy on Saturday- I'll try again Tuesday. So far, no luck. All the stores close at noon Saturday and we have a holiday Monday, so.....here's hoping for Tuesday! I did try to find a retractable pen, but none of them were loud enough.

Thanks everyone for your help.

(I'm truly a novelty here....but I'm not alone. There are others who see their dogs as pets.)

You can find these gadgets at any place that sells kid's toys, kid's party supplies, novelty items, etc. They won't hold up like a "real" clicker, of course. On the other hand, they should be cheap enough that you can get a few while you're figuring out how to get the real thing.

I don't know where in Brazil you live, but there are dog training facilities in most of the larger Brazilian cities (look on Facebook). While they may be too far for you to regularly commute to, you could certainly call them and ask about getting a "real" clicker..

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awww, thanks Bethl! Unfortunately, that would probably take 3 months, and no guarantees it would ever get here. The mail is not very good here.
What about a baby rattle? Shake it instead of clicking something.

If you really want a clicker I am willing to buy one and ship it to you. You can pay me via paypal. Just let me know :)

·
Banned
158 Posts
You can always make a noise with your mouth to replace the click, btw - you don't need a physical clicker if you choose to go the clicker route...

·
Registered
705 Posts
A whistle? That's what they use with whales/dolphins.

You might be able to find one in a camping store or a toy store.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did charge up a sound, but it's a sound here people use to chase cattle and horses away....so it's having the effect of the dogs going towards people who are trying to shoo them. It's a mess. I need a physical thing to make the sound.
You can always make a noise with your mouth to replace the click, btw - you don't need a physical clicker if you choose to go the clicker route...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can, but it's not very loud. I might try it!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like this idea, too!

you are welcome :) what about snapping your fingers? can you snap? I know not every one can ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts