Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it do inside his brain? He looks SO depressed - is he really learning something while looking at me with that sad expression?

I know you want to stop before he's bored, but I read/hear a lot "leave the dog wanting to earn more rewards/keep playing/working/whatevering"

Like just a little while ago. I decided to do an impromptu short session on shaping that retrieve using one of my french fries as the treat (it had no salt or sauce, ketchup, etc on it)

Well, he got into it. Did eight trials (then the fry was gone). He got all 8. Some nose touches in my hand, on the floor, held out once and he really sniffed it hard (that was the final one). The whole time he had that glassy-eyed, big, excited, FEED ME MORE! look.

But that was it. So he sniffed around a little and then got back on his bed, curled up with his head looking at me and moped. Poor guy :)

But that is what I'm supposed to do, right? It just seems like I'm not only ending on a good note - I'm disappointing him at the end.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha, probably! :D

I know I always like to see his big eyes - so that's probably it!

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
pull out a few more treats in a bit and do it again...

vary times between sessions...that way he will know that sooner or later it will happen again..and you keep him ready to perform at a moments notice..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts