Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do your dogs greet you? Lucy is 3 and she talks to us and wags her body like a snake and gets on the bed or couch to say hi ( we dont mind this she is nuts about it ) then our puppy Roxy she is about 6 months and she is wild one she bounces like she has a built in pogo stick flys through the house crys like she is going to die licks us from head to toe. She does not seem to suffer from SA when we leave or while we are gone she doesnt tear things up or cry bark pace or anything she just acts normal. Its just like she is so happy we come back everytime even if we are gone like 10 minutes that she just needs us to know how utterly happy she is we came back..... ( I also should add that I think she was abused in her first home and prob left in the garage most of the time ) She seems just to be so completely happy to be here that she always wants us to know she loves us....

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
First off Lucy sounds lovely and im very glad she found you.

Well my greeting is crazy,there is the gone to shop for 5 minute greeting that is crazy enough,1st off its barking at the door and Blake jumping at it(took most of the paint off doing that) when i come home from work its the insane greeting!lol,i open the door and all 3 are wagging (blake jumping some more) but poor short Bless gets lost in all the madness so i always neal down to her 1st,she puts her paws up on my knees and nibbles at my ear.

After that i have to let the left out lads get some loving,this normally involves Aslan half knocking me to the floor with a pounce and lick to the face (blakes still jumping) then i go and pat blake who's tail is going at a million MPH.

I gotta say no matter how bad a day ive had,coming home always makes it better :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It really makes my day no matter where I have been or what happened that day I really feel like the most loved and important person on this planet they are so happy everytime I get home lol I just wanted to make sure I am not the only one with overexcited dogs when I get home lol.. Lucy has pretty good manners in general that I am working to make even better but Roxy is just learning and she is really willing and wanting to please she just has little bit more trouble understand what we want from her. But she gets better daily.. I just cant stop them from the greeting though..lol

And Bless Bless's little big heart ... I know the feeling of having to get on the floor just to let them love you all over....:D

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Ah, it's so nice to be so warmly welcomed when you get home!
I LOVE the enthusiastic greeting I receive whenever I come home, even if I've been gone for a very short while. Some times even if I've just been in another room, lol!
George does his whole body wag & DJ always runs to get a toy to bring me, lol! Neither of them will go out to potty until after I've taken the time to pet them both & give them a proper greeting back.
Yeah ... hubby don't greet me nearly as enthusiastically :rolleyes:

·
Banned
749 Posts
Lola's greeting depends on how long I am away. If it is a short while like an hour or so she comes to the door as I am opening it and is wagging her tail and kind of like bowing down while walking and grabs a toy and runs around with it.

If I am coming home from work because i have been away longer she will hear me backing my truck in (backup alarm) and I can hear her barking a bit. When I get to the door she is bouncing up and down at the door. I then put the key in the door and she backs up from the door in a sitting position. Then I open the door and as soon as I am inside she will be running around circling me then grab a toy and start running with it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Well I have started this thing that I say "daddy's home" and Snuggles (the older one) will run back and forth to and from the door to the garage. Now the younger one watches her and stands by the door wagging her tail. Then my husband takes both of them outside. It's their routine. I really don't have one since my daughter may be at home holding one of them or they are already at play. If we are all gone, I will get Cuddles out of her crate and maybe carry one or both of them to the back door and then outside.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I'm usually greeted by Elsa sitting on her mat. Her mat is 20 feet from the door I enter, and she's expected to stay there until I release her. If she's had a particularly good day she'll give me a few roo roos plus wide bum wags while she waits. I don't know what her bad days are like, they are indiscernible from her good days.

If I'm in a good mood, which is often, I'll invite her to jump in my chest. I've timed her at 0.3 seconds to clear that 20 foot gap. I get the standard face washing followed by here's my tug. If I'm having a bad day I ignore her and she'll eventually settle and stay on her mat and wait patiently for her walk.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Complete madness there is talking running just chaos lol. I don't mind though. I am just glad they don't greet company that way then I would have an issue with it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I open the door, Akira looks at me from the couch he either:

A) Come to door and shake his hold body and give me kisses

B) Go back to sleep and don't care

A happens more often if I have a baguette (bread) in my hands

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
It usually goes like:

1. Mel opens the door
2. Beagles run into the hallway and wait for me to put everything down
3. I kneel down, which is the cue for "I'm ready, come get your cuddles"
4. Cuddles!
5. They sniff all my stuff

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Given their choice, my greeting would be something like...

*tackle* *splat* *face licking*

Since that scenarios sounds painful (for me), they have to wait at the top of the stairs. If they are both in nice sits, they are greeted and released when I get up there...if not they are ignored until they calm themselves down enough to abide by the above.

If they were crated while I was gone, they are expected to remain quietly in their crate until I let them out...whether that takes half a second or 20 minutes.

Webster in particular jumps threshold so quickly that it's absolutely necessary to remain firm on these rules, or he becomes frantic when I get home and loses his mind. I guess some people would think that's a sign of love, but I think it's sad so I try to help him out.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Blaze comes running so fast that he will lsip ont he floor if i havnt shaved out his paws in the last few days. He ran so fast once, slipped and went THROUGH the dry wall (did that also when he was barking at the door and went through the wall. A nice collie size hole int he wall lol)

I wait until i get my stuff off to notice him normally. try to keep him calm. but there is no use in training him to be good at the door, when there is 5 other (somtimes 6 when my boyfriend is there) people in the house who make him go crazy at the door calling his name, talking in a high pitch voice that makes him go crazy. telling him to speak ect. just generaly making him a monster at the door. (Never said my family were good dog people with training. atleast they love and adore Blaze lol)

if I had it my way. he would calmy walk to the door and wait for his greating.

Now its another story if I have bags. forget me, he shoves his whole face in the bag, while the cat climbs in to see whats going on. Yes Blaze now even has the cat traiend to come running to the door as soon as any one comes home too. She gets just as excitied 9well as excitied as a cat gets)lol

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Blaze comes running so fast that he will lsip ont he floor if i havnt shaved out his paws in the last few days. He ran so fast once, slipped and went THROUGH the dry wall (did that also when he was barking at the door and went through the wall. A nice collie size hole int he wall lol)
:eek: OMG! That would be a sight to see, ROTFL! George doesn't normally go for the bags, except when I bring home dog treats, he must have a very uncanny sense of smell as he always seems to know when I bring dog treats home & noses at the bag.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Misty (if in her crate) will begin her body wiggles and wait until I let her out (no whining/barking). Once let out, she will generally offer a few good butt wags, then leads me to the door to be let out.. As is my custom to let her out so there are no potty accidents.

If someone is home already and I return she usually trots towards the door as I put the key in, stands still as I open it, then shoots over and gives body wiggles and runs around me in circles. She's still jumping a little, but we're working on that. Usually, (and it's getting more frequent with practice), she will sit quietly after begin ignored briefly and then I bend down and invite her in for snuggles.

We have had the day when she'll get a lovely bout of the zoomies and start running circles around the living room.

We're working on teaching her to control herself.. ;S

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Lloyd and Allie both run to the gate at the top of the stairs, waiting for me to get up there. Lloyd sometimes does some butt wiggling, Allie usually licks my hand. I ignore them while I get my shoes off and put my stuff down, usually check the mail. Then I go check on the cats and say hi to them (the dogs are following me through all this). Then I let the dogs out to go potty. When I let them back in I say hi to them and pet them if they are being calm.

If Julie and I left the house at the same time (meaning they were there 8 hours alone) I let them out first, but usually it works out that they were only home about 4 hours or so alone so they can wait 15 more minutes to go out.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
When I come home, Eevee wags her entire body, and then runs and grabs the nearest toy and carries it around the room and drops it at my feet. Shippo wags his butt, and stretches with his butt in the air while going "Aroooo?"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Morgan knows to sit and wait until I have invited him to come greet me (after I get the door shut and set down all my bags), but he will usually run somewhere to find a toy first, so that he's holding something while he waits for me to come inside. Once I'm in and give him his release cue, he will do the full body wag, shove the toy in my hands, and try to weave between my legs. Lol!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for all your cute stories.. I love it. I love the idea of them having a release cue and all that I am working with them daily to get better about alot of stuff but I love how they great me and my hubby loves it to. They are pretty good with other people the mostly only do this to us and we are happy with them and their grettings. Sometimes they get alittle over excited when the greet other people never as bad as with us but I am working on getting them even better. I am aware just because we like and allow our dogs to jump on us dosent mean anyone else likes it or should have to deal with it at all... Anyhow thank you all I these stories hope to here many more.

:eek: OMG! That would be a sight to see, ROTFL! George doesn't normally go for the bags, except when I bring home dog treats, he must have a very uncanny sense of smell as he always seems to know when I bring dog treats home & noses at the bag.
How cute... My girls go through my bags but they just sniff they dont get into anything but something very funny is one day while walking Lucy down the street a lady with a lot of bags in her hands was in front of us well Lucy thought she should look in her bags... I was a tad embarassed lol The sad thing is most people are so affraid of her this lady laughed but got out of the fast lol

·
Banned
352 Posts
Well, since Roanna (pictured in avatar) is my wifes Guide, we dont leave her at home---unless she has been misbehaving, in which case she is in her crate. When let out, she "apologizes" to my wife by creeping out and giving up the belly. She HATES being left home, so doesnt act up much.

Mariah, my wifes retired Guide, comes down the hall when she hears the front door open up, and gives my wife the "So, you went out without me again" look to which my wife tells her "Hey-----you were the one who didnt want to work anymore, so dont blame me." Mariah is usually satisfied with that and then goes to lay down by the couch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts