Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally give the dog a quick walk around 10:30 PM or so, just before going to sleep. Today, however, we spent the entire day at the park, and she crashed the moment we got home. She didn't even get up for dinner - after filling her bowl, she looked up quizzically, then lay back down and started snoring. (eventually she would get up to eat, and go right back to sleep). Normally, she's a light sleeper, but I was clunking around the living room without disturbing her once.

Should I wake her up to go outside? Since she last went to pee at around 6 PM, I know she's going to need to go badly when she wakes up. The question is, will it be at 6 AM, when I wake up, or will it be sometime before then?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I would unless you want to be woken up in the middle of the night. She'll act like you are the worst person in the world, drag, moan, groan, be sluggest but push her so she'll go out and then she'll be back to bed before she knows it

That's how Nubs is every night after 11pm. He goes to bed at 11pm no matter what, and I usually make him go out one last time between midnight and 2am. I have to roughly pet his rump area to wake him up, tell him it's potty time, grab his collar, walk back to his bed, tell him to come one, walk back to the door, return to the room and say "Now", wait, then walk over pick his butt up and push him toward the door. He has to go, but would rather sleep.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update - I managed to get the worst of both worlds. After much prodding, I took Dally outside, let her do her business... and she still got me up at 3AM for another round. I remain convinced she did it entirely out of spite for interrupting her imagininary squirrel chase.

I suppose it could have been worse - she could have left me a present in the morning even after taking her out in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
347 Posts
For the first time ever, my dog went to sleep before me.

He often snoozes in the same room, but I was in the middle of a good book in my recliner last night and read late. At 11 or so, he stood up, stretched, looked at me then walked into my bedroom and I heard him plop down.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My dog is a lazy Whippet, and he can go out any time he wants- I will take him. But he usually goes out at 9 PM and sleeps in until 10 or 11 AM the next day. His choice.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Your lucky , mine wakes up at 5 AM every morning :eek:

My dog is a lazy Whippet, and he can go out any time he wants- I will take him. But he usually goes out at 9 PM and sleeps in until 10 or 11 AM the next day. His choice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Amazing. I have never once had to wake up Big Words for bathroom time. Usually, a jingle of his leash and me asking if he wants to go outside sends him rocketing to the door. :)

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Trent has me getting up at 4:30 a.m. every morning for potty and a long walk. I catch up on sleep by napping during my Study Halls. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts