Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some research and keep finding conflicting information on when to vaccinate a puppy. We brought home our 7.5 week old Mini Schnauzer puppy this past weekend. I'd be getting a puppy package from Vetco via Petco.

Some places say 8 weeks, other say 6-8, others 9-10. I wanted to know when you all vaccinated your puppy because this is confusing!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He hasn't received any shots yet. He's 7.5 wks so I'm wondering if I should wait a bit or if it's okay to take him now.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Definitely take him now, I wouldn't wait.
Agreed. Also, if you're going the Petco/Vetco route, and you're taking your puppy into a store open to the public for his first vaccines, I'd highly recommend you hold him the entire time and don't let him contact the ground or other potentially unvaccinated dogs. It's generally considered inadvisable to expose your puppy to dogs of questionable vaccination history or areas frequented by strange dogs when your puppy is so young and vulnerable to communicable illnesses.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason your puppy was home with you at 7 weeks old? That's pretty young to take a puppy home.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you are getting a first round of shots for a puppy at Petco, make sure you carry the dog from the car into the store & around the store & back to the car (placing on a blanket in the cart is okay if you don't want to hold the entire time....just don't put the puppy on the floor). You do not want the puppy to pick up any illnesses from the ground in the store.

Also, have you taken the puppy to the vet since you have gotten it? While the Petco shot clinic is fine for boosters, you want to develop a relationship with a vet that has regular hours & knows your dog....and an initial shot visit is an easy way to do that.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Yea I confirmed because I wanted to be certain, barring extenuating circumstances the first set of vaccinations are normally given at 6 weeks.

I would be concerned that the breeder or rescue you got him from didn't do the first ones.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Also, have you taken the puppy to the vet since you have gotten it? While the Petco shot clinic is fine for boosters, you want to develop a relationship with a vet that has regular hours & knows your dog....and an initial shot visit is an easy way to do that.
That is excellent advice. You want to have a relationship with a vet that knows the dog. Also, you want to get the shots started right away. As others have noted, dont' take your dog around other dogs or areas where other dogs would have gone to the bathroom. There are some serious diseases unvaccinated puppies can get and you don't want to have that happen. The first thing you should do after getting a puppy is call a vet for an appointment.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The first thing you should do after getting a puppy is call a vet for an appointment.
In my opinion, you shouldn't even wait until you have the puppy to make a vet appointment. Make it as soon as you know which day you're picking the puppy up, don't wait until the puppy is home! Many vets have waiting lists and new owners may be waiting weeks to get their puppy looked at. I scheduled my puppy wellness check for 9/19 on 8/9, over a month in advance.

Obviously OP can't do that now, but that's what new puppy owners should try to arrange. OP, in your case, I'd recommend that when you make your appointment, let them know it's a wellness/vaccination visit and ask them to schedule some extra time for any questions you may have. Then, when you take your puppy in to the vet, make sure you have a list of your questions written down, because believe me, they will randomly slip out of your mind once you get there!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Go now. Don't let him go for walks or down in strange places until he's vaccinated

·
Registered
335 Posts
He can definitely start now, yeah. I'd just get in as soon as you're able, good idea for new puppies to have a wellness exam and meet the vet anyway :)

My puppy had his distemper combo vaccine at 7, 12, and 16 weeks. That one is a series that is boostered every 3-4 weeks until they're ~16 weeks old, so you'll need to go in a few times for that.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Vaccinating at 6 weeks is not a thing here so normally" is relative. In my area I would be concerned if my 7 week old puppy WAS vaccinated :/ puppy vaccs start at 8-9 weeks here. I personally wouldn't start till 10 weeks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts