Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bailey is 6 months old and is reliably paper trained. He's not much of a chewer and I have my relatively small apartment puppyproofed. Lately, Bailey hasn't been loving his crate, we actually end up playing a game of chase whenever it's time for him to go in. I'm leaving him with some favorite toys and a treat-stuffed Kong, but he has been barking when I leave him. I'm wondering if it's too soon to give him free access to my apartment.

Actually, I just left home after lunchtime and did leave him out of the crate with access to the bedroom, living room, and kitchen. I plan to stop by and listen at the door to see if I hear any barking or crying. Am I making a huge mistake? I know that an ex-pen could be a good solution but again I live in a small city apartment where storage is at a premium. I've tried leaving him in the bathroom but that too is pretty small and he really didn't like it.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It's basically a trial and error method. The usual approach is to let them have access to tile floors or non-carpeted areas first. If they do OK without accidents then carpeted areas and wood floors. If they do OK with that, then they can have the HD TV, and stereo and the leather recliner.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tooney, LOL. There weren't any accidents or destruction when I got home yesterday so I'm trying it again today. I plan to check on him in 3 hours to see how he's holding up. There was no barking, crying, or scratching at the door when I left today which is definitely an improvement!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Cute dog. Very. :D

I never uncrated my dog.. too much trouble to get into and with the Cats to help there would be no end to it. The cats can open all the drawers and doors in the kitchen now.. (am I the ONLY one who has to bungee cord the cabinets shut in the kitchen etc.?). Once she learned what they know they would be pushing her to open the Refrigerator.

Naughty used to take the phone off the hook (cat). I checked my phone bill carefully.. I figured he might have a GF in Fiji he was calling.

I am teasing.. but I could not help responding because your dog in your Avatar is a real cutey.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I don't see much reason to leave Sadie uncrated when I'm gone if it's more than 20 minutes. But usually if I'm running to the corner store and I haven't gone to put her in her crate, she wants to come along.

Even a well trained adult dog is still on level with a 2 year old child IMO. It takes less than a minute to tell Sadie "KENNEL" and close the door. She's happy in there, and she naps.

Last night I went out to a Cinco party and was so distracted by my husband and I's discussion on the way out that I never went and closed the kennel door. I realized it halfway down there that I couldn't remember closing it, but I figured the worst that would happen was a few potty accidents.

When we got home Sadie was laying in the kitchen staring at the door, and she CHARGED it when we came in. OMG YOU GUYS CAME BACK! She wiggled up to me doing the saddest little appeasement dance I have ever seen her do, and she was by my side the rest of the night. She kept trying to leap up into my arms for hugs.

Now I have NO idea what exactly that means but I get the feeling she was NOT happy being alone with the whole empty house. And there were potty accidents.

She's happier in her crate, it's safer for her and the cats, the carpet, and not to mention we now have a puppy that also has to be crated. Best for everyone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Elana55. I think he's pretty cute too. Of course everyone thinks he's a she...but that's another issue ;)

I ended up getting tied up at work and it was about 4 hours before I got back home. Bailey was waiting at the door when I came in and jumped on me all wiggly & waggly and excited. No accidents though and nothing chewed that shouldn't have been. One thing I have noticed on the 3 occasions I've left Bailey uncrated and alone (for more than a few minutes) is that he hasn't pottied at all...his pad has been dry. Of course as I was getting his leash to take him out this afternoon he peed on his pad. But it's almost like he won't 'go' when I'm not home, period. Not a bad thing!

I did put him back in his crate after lunch, he didn't do #2 on our walk and I didn't want to test my theory & end up with a poo accident :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts