Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know as dogs age their metabolism slows and they (usually, depending on the situation) will require fewer calories to maintain.

Our pup is now 11 months and just shy of 54lbs.
He is currently consuming 2.75 cups/day of Acana (Pacifica) split over 2 meals. He is still lean looking but has the poodle genes so its expected.

Out of curiosity, how do i know when to slowly start reducing his caloric intake as he ages? Is there a certain time frame that is ideal for a puppy or do i just keep observing until i can no longer feel his body shape (ribs, stomach tuck, etc.)?

I wasn't planning on doing this soon as he is still obviously growing and burning a ton of energy being a puppy but when did everyone notice that a switch flipped and their dog suddenly required less?

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
To be honest, I'm not sure I ever reduced the amount of food my dogs ate - I just increased the amount of each feeding and decreased the number of times I fed. Or, rather, it wasn't an age/stage thing. I decreased their food when/if they got pudgy. For Kylie that was about 9 months old. For Thud (the other puppy I raised) it's been never. Kylie was spayed at 6 months. Thud is intact. I don't imagine those are unrelated facts (or the fact that Bug is also prone ot pudge and spayed, while Jack is usually a little underweight and is intact).

Mostly, though, it's just going to vary. If he looks good on what you're feeding him, keep feeding him that. If you notice extra padding, cut it down a little.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
A 54lb dog eating 2.75 cups of food doesn't say much about the quality of that food. I would have figured 1.75 cups would be the top end.
A 54 lbs adult dog with moderate activity maybe, but a 54 lbs dog under a year old? Sounds about right. My 62-65 lbs adult spayed female eats about 2.5 cups per day of most of the foods since outside of the performance formulas, the calorie counts aren't hugely different. Doesn't matter if it is Pro Pac or Farmina or 4Health grain-free, right around 2.5 cups works. Now, the performance foods, I could drop to about 2 cup of but that is makes sense by the calories.

I agree on the feed to condition advice. Every dog's metabolism and exercise amount is different, just like in humans, so adjust as needed. I wouldn't cut back unless I felt the dog getting pudgy (I say "felt" because I mean that literally, feeling the ribs and hips and such for body condition)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts