Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 7.5 month old Toller went into heat. Her littermate joined her the next day.
Neither one has gained any weight in the last 6 weeks, though the vet says they are the perfect weight. I saw her 20 month old sister and they are exactly the same size and shape.

1) When should I spay her? I have read it can be done 8 weeks after the heat start, so that would be 8.5 months. Is there any reason to wait at this point. I really really want to avoid a second heat! I have read that they usually come every 6 months, but can be as short as 3 months. What is the latest I could spay her to avoid a second heat, and is there any advantage to waiting?

2) Is she fully grown now? She is very small for a Toller, but so is her 20 month old sister.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will definitely wait until she is out of season, but would like to do it before the next season. The breeder says her mother and older sisters are running 7 months.
So I am figuring she will be done at about 8 months, so keeping it to 5 extra months to be on the safe side would schedule spaying at 13 months.

We did the Toller on the left at 6 months, which I guess was universal 16 years ago, and she is doing great. but of course I want to give Chloe every advantage.

Interestingly, her older sister started the same day as Chloe, so all three of the girls are in sync!
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top