Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

When to neuter....

5K views 55 replies 26 participants last post by  wabanafcr 
#1 ·
We just got our first puppy as a family. As a good puppy mommy I called the vet immediately to get him a checkup. He hasn't been seen yet, his appt. is Thurs, but they told me on the phone that they neuter and give rabies shots at 12 weeks. I thought they waited till 6 months for both and was surprised that they do it so early. He will be exactly 12 weeks on Thursday, so I suspect they will probably want to give him the shot and schedule the surgery. I'm wondering if it isn't too early? Should I wait a while for this stuff???

#2 ·
Some people will say to wait. Personally, I say the sooner the better. Definitely ask your vet what the pros and cons of waiting are. If your vet can't or won't answer the question or doesn't answer the question in a way you're comfortable with, look for another vet. I know that seems harsh, but I freely admit that I know nothing about veterinary medicine, but I'm not the type to just rubber stamp any procedure either.

#7 ·
Vets want it done ASAP for the $$$$.
Or, it could be because they've met the average pet owner, and realize that the longer they wait, the more likely it is that they'll be delivering a litter of pups a few months later.

#5 ·
I've always had my pets neutered young around 4 months I think. My vet says its easier on them. The one dog that I had neutered as an adult, had a horrible reaction. Swelled up to the size of a volley ball and oozed. It was horrible. I dont know if it had anything to do with his age or what caused it. My neighbor just had her dog neutered as an adult as well and he did the same thing my dog did.

#12 ·
Giving a rabies vac, and neutering and spaying that young is bad enough, but, if this vet is going to give your puppy the vaccination AND neuter him on the same day, run, don't walk away from this vet.

Given how irresponsible many pet owners are, I can understand the push to speuter pets ASAP. I wait until the dog/bitch are fully mature.

#15 ·
I'm really surprised with the responses. I thought most of you would be encouraging to spay/neuter.

12 weeks seems a little bit young, but it's okay. Kittens are spayed/neutered 8 weeks or older.

For dogs - It has been said that if you neuter your dog before sexual maturity, he will show less dominant behavior and be a better dog. It has also been said that there will be less "humping" on humans and other dogs because it hasn't reached sexual maturity. If it has been neutered much later, it will still have the "thought" in the head to dominance everyone. God knows I've seen so many unneutered male dogs in the dog park going around everyone, especially after my spayed female pup. Owners get embarrassed and try to stop their dog. They can't stop their dog from humping every dog because it's still there in their heads. Less risk of testicular cancer. Etc. I would encourage to neuter your puppy at a young age.

Then again, I have absolutely no experience in raising dogs, especially animals that hasn't been neutered/spayed.

I had no choice with my dog because the shelter will not allow to have any dogs to go home without being spayed/neutered and microchipped. Do I agree with it. Yes. I support that 100%.

Having said that - I would recommend that you ask your vet exactly why they want to neuter at this age. If you don't feel comfortable, then go see another vet. Do your research as well. Not depending on everyone at this forums, including me.

As for vaccinations - the antibodies get wean off once the pup gets wean off the mother. The pups get their antibodies through their mother's milk. So, getting vaccination at 12 weeks is perfect. I think one of the vaccines has to wait until 6 months. I'm not sure...i'm not familiar with dog vaccines, only cats. (side note: I can't believe how many MORE vaccines a dog gets than a cat!)

#18 ·
I'm really surprised with the responses. I thought most of you would be encouraging to spay/neuter.
My dog is 3 and I'm going to do it. It hasn't been at the front of my brain because he doesn't hump, doesn't mark in the house, isn't aggressive, and doesn't try to run off. All training issues, and not neutering issues, BTW.

#16 ·
I have 2 male dogs. The first was neutered when we got him from the shelter at around 7-8months. The second was rescued at 4 years of age. His neuter went well, and they're both fine now. Both well behaved dogs. My 4yo never humped a person, just other dogs. Constantly. That has stopped, and I'm happy about it. do whatever you think is best, it's your dog.

#20 ·
Lots of claims/myths here on what neutering will or will not fix. Unfortunately a lot of these are just that, claims and are not backed up by any significant studies. Other than the most obvious (unwanted pregnancies) I see no reason to neuter a male just because you think it is the proper (politically correct) thing to do. Of course this is just my opinion. It is purely a personal choice.

Here is an interesting article that cuts through some of the myths related to health on neutering/spaying. http://www2.dcn.org/orgs/ddtc/sfiles/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

#21 ·
I'm of the opinion that all dogs should be spayed/neutered unless there is intent to breed the dog at some point. Even then, once the dog is no longer going to be bred I believe the dog should be spayed/neutered. Even then, if you are going to breed the person should have a very, very good reason and not just "puppies are cute" or "the dog needs this to have a fulfilling life" or "we can make some money" or some other ridiculous reason. There are just too many unwanted dogs in the world as it is.

#22 ·
The thing is, a responsible owner is not going to have any of those problems. A responsible owner is going to train their dog to avoid behavior problems, and contain their dog to prevent the risk of accidental litters. Neutering has very few HEALTH benefits- it prevents a couple kinds of cancer that are uncommon (and highly treatable) in dogs but raises the risk of several other, less treatable cancers. (This is not the case for spaying, where the issues are a little more muddy because of the risk of pyo.) Neutering's main benefit is population control, which is something that a responsible owners houldn't be worrying about.

In the case of a breed that is frequently prone to excited urination as well as hip and joint problems like a cocker? I'd definitely let the dog mature! Testosterone can do some good stuff for doggy confidence (and yes, it can make them over the top jerks too, but in general, I think it makes for a more confident dog as long as the owners are committed to providing guidance while he's growing up) and that's a major factor in decreasing S.U.

#24 ·
Do a search and you can find some scientific papers which basically say that neutering before 2 years of age poses more health risks than it avoids.

There is a ton of pro-neutering propaganda out there, mostly generated with the intent of dog population control, but that issue has no relevance to YOUR dog, unless you plan on allowing him to roam around unsupervised. Ignore the propaganda.

There may be some instances where neutering is beneficial in dealing with behavioral problems, but at 12 weeks behavioral issues should be met strictly with training not surgery.

IMHO it is ridiculous and cruel to neuter a dog unless you have a bona fide reason to do so.

Vets make a lot of money doing neutering.

#25 · (Edited)
There is a ton of pro-neutering propaganda out there, mostly generated with the intent of dog population control, but that issue has no relevance to YOUR dog, unless you plan on allowing him to roam around unsupervised. Ignore the propaganda.
Yes, because every dog owner should able to keep track of their dog 100% of the time without being distracted, ever. Dogs are never able get in/out of the yard without the owner realizing & stopping it, and certainly not for more than the few minutes it takes to mate. And, as a responsible owner, you will clearly be capable of maintaining complete control over not only your own dog, but every other dog in a dog park. You will never have to board your dog in a kennel or with a friend who is the slightest bit less diligent than you about watching over your dog.

There may be some instances where neutering is beneficial in dealing with behavioral problems, but at 12 weeks behavioral issues should be met strictly with training not surgery.
No argument here.

IMHO it is ridiculous and cruel to neuter a dog unless you have a bona fide reason to do so.
I think population control counts as a bona fide reason to do so.

Vets make a lot of money doing neutering.
Is that an argument? They charge money to provide a service. Usually (but not always; every - not most, but every - vet I've met also does pro bono work at local rescues) they charge enough to cover the cost of the procedure, plus some extra to allow them to do it again. They will also refer clients to humane societies for free spay/neutering (often ones where they volunteer their own time) if they can't afford it.

The point is, deciding when to spay/neuter is a question of risk assessment. There are small, but not insignificant, health benefits to waiting to spay/neutering. That has to be weighed against the risks of pregnancy. It requires careful deliberation and an honest assessment of the dog's living situation, and not a mindless rant about the greed of veterinarians.

#27 ·
12 weeks is a lot younger than I'd personally feel comfortable neutering a dog. I wonder if they want to schedule it now but the actual procedure would be done at a later date? Just a thought.

I have never neutered a dog under 2 years. You'll find most people don't agree about age, but I like to wait until the dog is mature to do it, if I do it at all. The main thing imo is to be honest. If pregnancy is a big concern then I say do it earlier. I see pediatric spay/neuter done a lot in shelter dogs, and they seem okay. However, if given the choice, I'd wait. I understand why it's done to shelter puppies. It'd be far worse to have them reproduce and continue the overpopulation issue so they eliminate the risk.

The idea that spay/neuter as a whole is cruel is silly. It's an elective surgery, yes, and if everyone were completely responsible and never had any accidents, it wouldn't be necessary. However, people aren't so overall it's a good thing to do imo. I agree the thought that neutering fixes everything is propaganda, and I don't buy all the health benefits, but population control is a big issue that needs to be addressed.

#29 ·
I would have to agree with pretty much all of this. Personally, I would s/n my dog as early as possible and I always have. My reasoning is that I am not around my dogs 24/7 and therefore cannot completely supervise them. I certainly can't control the other dogs in the neighborhood. While my female who's in heat may not try to escape from my fenced yard or even enclosed dog run, I can't stop a stray from digging or jumping into either one of these. I'd rather not risk that and would rather not have the hassle.

#28 ·
I agree that 12 weeks seems a little young. The earliest I would feel comfortable is 6 months.

Riley and the girls were neutered/spayed between 6-8 months. Dawson is still intact, and I plan to leave him that way for a little longer. He does not have 'behavior' issues because of it. In fact, he is more laid back then Riley! He isn't aggressive at all towards other dogs. May be his personality though. He has always been just a 'chill' kind of guy.

Now, he does lift his leg to mark(Riley still pees like a girl at almost 2 years of age), but only if I let him do it. He has never attempted it inside a building/house. He has never tried to hump a human either.

As others said, it just comes down to training. Now I am not saying don't neuter at all, neutering is fine. 12 weeks does just seem young.

#30 ·
I never said that "spay/neuter as a whole is cruel". I said that neuter without a bona fide reason is ridiculous / cruel. If you let your dog roam or can't stop him from getting loose on occasion or can't control him at the dog park or have particular behavioral issues you cannot control by other means than by all means get your dog neutered. But many many people do not have any of these issues with their dogs and neuter them anyways which I think is then a totally unnecessary. It is I think driven by propaganda, mis-information and political correctness.

Wouldn't you say putting a dog through unnecessary surgery is ridiculous ? Is it not cruel? You think Fido likes going under the knife? I'm just saying don't do it without a good reason.

As per vets, I am not disparaging them, but they do have a vested interest in promoting neutering.

#34 · (Edited)
So population control is not a bona fide reason? I'm not strong enough to control all the dogs in the neighborhood. Wish I could, but I can't. Like I said, I've heard horror stories of intact males who never expressed any interest in escape suddenly hurtling huge barriers because there was a stray female in heat. Non-intact males don't have this issue.

I don't think Fido likes having to sit/stay before he gets fed. I don't think Fido likes having to be leashed just to get out of the yard. I don't think Fido likes not being able to pull me on the leash. I don't think Fido likes being confined to a yard or not being allowed to pee wherever he wishes. There are a lot of things Fido doesn't like that he has to do.

A dog does not possess the higher reasoning necessary to perceive a s/n as cruel. To the dog, she simply falls asleep in an unfamiliar environment then wakes up later and is sore. The dog does not go, "Holy crap!! Now I'm never going to be able to have a family!! What did my owner do to me??" Let's not forget that while we like to think of them as humans, dogs are animals.

You're right about vets though. They also have a vested interest in promoting yearly checkups. They have a vested interest in promoting heartworm and flea preventatives as well as periodic vaccinations. We shouldn't take our dogs into the vet unless the dog is having some obvious health problem I guess.

Wow, thank you for all the opinions and information. We go to the vet tonight and I'll get some more info from him then. At this point I am leaning toward at least delaying the neutering until he's older. He will be an inside dog and only outside on a leash, so I don't think an unplanned pregnancy at this point is too much of a risk. :)
Definitely ask your vet the pros/cons. If your vet won't discuss them with you or doesn't explain things clearly to you, look for another vet. Your vet should realize that you probably have little background in animal medicine and should be able to explain things to you in a way that you can understand them and make an informed decision. They should then respect that decision (whatever it may be) as long as it's not flat out stupid.

#32 ·
Wow, thank you for all the opinions and information. We go to the vet tonight and I'll get some more info from him then. At this point I am leaning toward at least delaying the neutering until he's older. He will be an inside dog and only outside on a leash, so I don't think an unplanned pregnancy at this point is too much of a risk. :)

#35 ·
I never leave the dog outside unsupervised, first of all. Second of all, I have a very good, strong PVC fence with a good lock on it.

We have strong leash laws here in the town where I reside. Nobody has their dog off of a leash, nor allows their dogs to run wild. Everyone around here with a dog has a fenced yard. Of course, some dogs jump fences but the chance of that is remote.

The guy across the street used to keep his two boxers out all day long, but no longer does so. I hear them yelping from inside when I am walking my pup, so he must have decided to keep his dogs inside.

There is a regulation regarding barking that says that no one may keep a dog outside that barks for more than ten (10) minutes at a clip.

If and when I get my dog neutered will be up to me and what is best for my particular dog.

#36 ·
I think 12 weeks is an excellent age to spay/neuter a cat, but for dogs I prefer to wait. 6 months is fine and your dog shouldn't be fertile before that. If you want to wait longer and you can contain your dog, that's fine too.

#37 ·
Well...the vet we saw (there are three in the practice) suggest neutering at 4-6 months. I feel much better about that. Now I don't have to rush to make a decision, I'll have some time to do some research AND to get to know my puppy and will re-evaluate my options then.

Thanks again for all the info and advice. It is much appreciated.

#39 ·
I would like to once again very strongly suggest that you do get the dog neutered. Your vet knows more than I do about when it should be done, but I strongly believe that it should definitely be done. I see a lot of reasons to do it and no reasons not to do it unless (as I said before) you plan on showing and/or breeding the dog.

#40 ·
Not necessarily....I do know some dogs neutered very early who have learned to lift their legs. Being a learned behavior, it depends on their doggy friends and what they learn from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.