Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our first puppy as a family. As a good puppy mommy I called the vet immediately to get him a checkup. He hasn't been seen yet, his appt. is Thurs, but they told me on the phone that they neuter and give rabies shots at 12 weeks. I thought they waited till 6 months for both and was surprised that they do it so early. He will be exactly 12 weeks on Thursday, so I suspect they will probably want to give him the shot and schedule the surgery. I'm wondering if it isn't too early? Should I wait a while for this stuff???

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Some people will say to wait. Personally, I say the sooner the better. Definitely ask your vet what the pros and cons of waiting are. If your vet can't or won't answer the question or doesn't answer the question in a way you're comfortable with, look for another vet. I know that seems harsh, but I freely admit that I know nothing about veterinary medicine, but I'm not the type to just rubber stamp any procedure either.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It is better for the dog to go through the maturing process and hold off as long as you can, up until around a year.

Vets want it done ASAP for the $$$$.

I'd never have a dog neutered before at the very least, six months.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I've always had my pets neutered young around 4 months I think. My vet says its easier on them. The one dog that I had neutered as an adult, had a horrible reaction. Swelled up to the size of a volley ball and oozed. It was horrible. I dont know if it had anything to do with his age or what caused it. My neighbor just had her dog neutered as an adult as well and he did the same thing my dog did.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
If that were my dog, I'd wait at least till 18 months. Males neutered too young can end up with a greater risk of ACL tears and various other weirdnesses.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Or, it could be because they've met the average pet owner, and realize that the longer they wait, the more likely it is that they'll be delivering a litter of pups a few months later.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Or, it could be because they've met the average pet owner, and realize that the longer they wait, the more likely it is that they'll be delivering a litter of pups a few months later.
I vote the latter. Many pet owners (I don't know the percentages) are not as responsible as they should be. A vet who volunteers his/her time at a shelter, and/or who treats morbidly obese pets--day in and day out--can be forgiven a little bigotry. People who even consider the question are not the norm.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
We just got our first puppy as a family. As a good puppy mommy I called the vet immediately to get him a checkup. He hasn't been seen yet, his appt. is Thurs, but they told me on the phone that they neuter and give rabies shots at 12 weeks. I thought they waited till 6 months for both and was surprised that they do it so early. He will be exactly 12 weeks on Thursday, so I suspect they will probably want to give him the shot and schedule the surgery. I'm wondering if it isn't too early? Should I wait a while for this stuff???
Giving a rabies vac, and neutering and spaying that young is bad enough, but, if this vet is going to give your puppy the vaccination AND neuter him on the same day, run, don't walk away from this vet.

Given how irresponsible many pet owners are, I can understand the push to speuter pets ASAP. I wait until the dog/bitch are fully mature.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
that seems way to young to me. Dont know what breed you have. But I would wait until atleast a year to have him done. I would find another vet aswell.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I vote the latter. Many pet owners (I don't know the percentages) are not as responsible as they should be. A vet who volunteers his/her time at a shelter, and/or who treats morbidly obese pets--day in and day out--can be forgiven a little bigotry. People who even consider the question are not the norm.
This vet is the one who cares for all the pets at the SPCA here, so maybe they are pushing because of that. I, however, really would like to do what's best for the puppy and if that means waiting for the neuter then I'll wait. He will be an inside dog, only going out to potty or if we're going with him, so the risk of him making puppies with a stray are slim, so I think I'm gonna hold off on the neutering.

But the rabies vaccine will be ok? I've read that, at least for some vaccines, if they get it too young it is less effective because they still have antibodies from their mom.

Giving a rabies vac, and neutering and spaying that young is bad enough, but, if this vet is going to give your puppy the vaccination AND neuter him on the same day, run, don't walk away from this vet.

Given how irresponsible many pet owners are, I can understand the push to speuter pets ASAP. I wait until the dog/bitch are fully mature.
Not on the same day, he isn't scheduled for the surgery yet, but I suspect they will want to schedule it tomorrow when we go.

that seems way to young to me. Dont know what breed you have. But I would wait until atleast a year to have him done. I would find another vet aswell.
He's a Cocker Spaniel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm really surprised with the responses. I thought most of you would be encouraging to spay/neuter.

12 weeks seems a little bit young, but it's okay. Kittens are spayed/neutered 8 weeks or older.

For dogs - It has been said that if you neuter your dog before sexual maturity, he will show less dominant behavior and be a better dog. It has also been said that there will be less "humping" on humans and other dogs because it hasn't reached sexual maturity. If it has been neutered much later, it will still have the "thought" in the head to dominance everyone. God knows I've seen so many unneutered male dogs in the dog park going around everyone, especially after my spayed female pup. Owners get embarrassed and try to stop their dog. They can't stop their dog from humping every dog because it's still there in their heads. Less risk of testicular cancer. Etc. I would encourage to neuter your puppy at a young age.

Then again, I have absolutely no experience in raising dogs, especially animals that hasn't been neutered/spayed.

I had no choice with my dog because the shelter will not allow to have any dogs to go home without being spayed/neutered and microchipped. Do I agree with it. Yes. I support that 100%.

Having said that - I would recommend that you ask your vet exactly why they want to neuter at this age. If you don't feel comfortable, then go see another vet. Do your research as well. Not depending on everyone at this forums, including me.

As for vaccinations - the antibodies get wean off once the pup gets wean off the mother. The pups get their antibodies through their mother's milk. So, getting vaccination at 12 weeks is perfect. I think one of the vaccines has to wait until 6 months. I'm not sure...i'm not familiar with dog vaccines, only cats. (side note: I can't believe how many MORE vaccines a dog gets than a cat!)

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have 2 male dogs. The first was neutered when we got him from the shelter at around 7-8months. The second was rescued at 4 years of age. His neuter went well, and they're both fine now. Both well behaved dogs. My 4yo never humped a person, just other dogs. Constantly. That has stopped, and I'm happy about it. do whatever you think is best, it's your dog.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Agreed with you 100%.....

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I'm really surprised with the responses. I thought most of you would be encouraging to spay/neuter.
My dog is 3 and I'm going to do it. It hasn't been at the front of my brain because he doesn't hump, doesn't mark in the house, isn't aggressive, and doesn't try to run off. All training issues, and not neutering issues, BTW.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts

12 weeks seems a little bit young, but it's okay. Kittens are spayed/neutered 8 weeks or older.

For dogs - It has been said that if you neuter your dog before sexual maturity, he will show less dominant behavior and be a better dog. It has also been said that there will be less "humping" on humans and other dogs because it hasn't reached sexual maturity. If it has been neutered much later, it will still have the "thought" in the head to dominance everyone. God knows I've seen so many unneutered male dogs in the dog park going around everyone, especially after my spayed female pup. Owners get embarrassed and try to stop their dog. They can't stop their dog from humping every dog because it's still there in their heads. Less risk of testicular cancer. Etc. I would encourage to neuter your puppy at a young age.
Sorry but a unneutered male who humps and starts fights is a dog with training issues. My dog who is almost 6 is intact. for nor eason in paticular, he isnt a stud dog, or a show dog. He is a VERY well behaved dog, even much better then out fixed dogs have been int he past, why? Becuase I have trained this dog. he is a dog park role model. backs down to other dogs, and is submissive. I find that he gets picked on by fixed male dogs and they try to start fights with him. Alot of his buddies are intact (male and female) all get along wonderfully. since they are trained and we know our dogs. and god help him if he ever thinks about marking any where but out side (lucky he hasnt done any of this in side. not in pet stores where he easily can see another dogs pee on the floor ect) he has never humped and just wont. testicular cancer is a very slim chance, less then 1%. with neuters to young it increases other issues. please do some reading.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Lots of claims/myths here on what neutering will or will not fix. Unfortunately a lot of these are just that, claims and are not backed up by any significant studies. Other than the most obvious (unwanted pregnancies) I see no reason to neuter a male just because you think it is the proper (politically correct) thing to do. Of course this is just my opinion. It is purely a personal choice.

Here is an interesting article that cuts through some of the myths related to health on neutering/spaying. http://www2.dcn.org/orgs/ddtc/sfiles/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

1 - 20 of 56 Posts