Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old beagle mix that mostly lives down in the family room of a three level house. A babygate keeps him there. That's also where his doggy door is, which he uses 99% of the time to go out and potty. He's been with us for 4 months now.

Recently I've started to let him roam the rest of the house and he has peed and pooped the first chance he gets wherever he happens to be standing, especially in the living room. I've chased him up the stairs to the bedroom only to find he's peed in the corner before I could catch up with him.

Is it because he doesn't know how to get back to the family room? When is a good time to let the dog explore the rest of the house. Like I said, he's been with us for 4 months.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Suspect retraining him in each new area is necessary. AFTER he has pottied outside allow him in ONE new room until you figure he is ready to potty again then take him outside and praise/treat when he potties. Once he has figured out how to get outside and potty from that new room allow him in another and so on. Since he has figured it out in his main area I'm sure it will go smoothly if you go slow and easy. Even a well trained adult dog needs a little retraining when visiting a new house.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts