Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a rough collie female, she is 8 months old.

I am just wondering when they would normally have their first season/heat?

I have always had male dogs so this is just something I want to be sure of as I am thinking I will probably spay her, but want her to have a season first.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
They can have their first season anywhere from 6 months old to 14 months old. If you know who the breeder is, ask them the history of the your dog's Mother. Daughters often pattern after their Mothers.

I had one dog who had her first heat at 13 months old and then every 6 months after that. Next dog her first heat was at 11 months old.

Smaller breeds often have first heats younger than large breeds, but not always.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
They can have their first season anywhere from 6 months old to 14 months old. If you know who the breeder is, ask them the history of the your dog's Mother. Daughters often pattern after their Mothers.

I had one dog who had her first heat at 13 months old and then every 6 months after that. Next dog her first heat was at 11 months old.

Smaller breeds often have first heats younger than large breeds, but not always.
2+ on this. Mesa just had her first heat at 13 months. One of her littermates had it at 11 months and another just before a year. So it can even vary somewhat in a litter. Mesa's mother had hers around 13 months as well. Definitely ask you breeder about your collie's lines.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
It depends on the lines and the individual dog. Sometimes diet can come into play.

My dogs never came into heat before they were spayed. One was spayed at 1 year.. the other at about 15 months. Some don't even come into heat until they are around 2 years old. You just never know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts