Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is the right time to contact a breeder to inquire about possibly visiting their kennel and maybe getting on their waitlist?

The breed I decided on is pretty rare (only about 350 pups born in the US a year) so I know getting on a waitlist is vital. Though I don’t know if it’s too soon since I won’t be ready for the pup for about 1-1.5 years.

Also, what should I include in the initial email?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am no expert but I would say call them now. This way they will tell you when you need to add your name to their wait list and answer any questions you may have.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I agree. Contacting them now, and letting them know you are interested in their dogs, and giving them your "dog resume" and timeline wouldn't be a bad idea. Especially with a rare breed, as good breeders of rare breeds typically have a fairly long wait list.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
For a rare breed, 1-1.5 years isn't too early.

As for the email, keep it relatively short. Say that you've been researching their breed, that you think it's a good fit for you for [x reason] and [y reason], that you'd love to meet some representatives of the breed to know for sure, that you're interested in their breeding program specifically because [z reason], and that you'd appreciate the opportunity to meet them and their dogs. Tell them you understand that they have a waiting list and that you're prepared to wait -- in fact, that you don't plan to add a pup to your family for about 1-1.5 years.

All of this is good stuff that shows you actually have been researching the breed, you've put some thought into how it would fit into your life, and that you're not an impatient PITA who wants a puppy right now. Do not ask about cost yet. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yeah, contacting now is a good idea. My breed is a rare breed like that and the breed club definitely has a waiting list for puppies. We waited close to a year for Beckett. We actually waited nearly a year for Annabel, too, and she's not a rare breed at all. I think it's better to be on the waiting list now than end up ready for a puppy in a year and then having to wait ANOTHER year.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I agree with everyone here. Contact the breeders now. Also, look around for a dog show where some representatives of your breed might be showing. You can see the dogs in person and talk with the breeders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts