Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have had jack since Friday he really has come out of his shell he still sucks on leash tho my friend who has 3 nice well trained dogs think ther will be about 10 people there should I bring him he's current on all shots I just don't know when it's best to bring around new homes for him stress wise what do you think?

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
I think 10 people and 3 (even well-trained) dogs is a lot to ask of a dog that has been in his home for a just a week or less.

When I take in a foster, of course they are around my dog and me, but other than that I try to spend at least 2-3 weeks doing basic training, normal walks (where we might greet someone but they aren't forced to) and just getting used to the house. Then I'll introduce one or two people, in my house (where the dog hopefully now feels comfortable) and if that goes well, maybe move on to one dog. 10 people at once might take several weeks or even months to work up to depending on the dog's personality and confidence level.

If you don't yet know how YOUR dog is with other dogs, you'll need to do proper introductions which take a bit of time and can't be done by just walking him into someone else's house. You'll want to walk (tire out) your dog as they do the same and then walk the dogs together for a bit and then bring them into the house after a good long walk together. you want to be able to supervise well when they are in the house and not leave them unattended at any time.

try introducing your friend's dogs and your dog in 2-3 weeks and if that goes well, THEN consider bringing him around a larger group of people + the dogs.

It isn't just because it could be stressful to your dog, but simply chaotic. My dog loves people, loves dogs, and is comfortable in groups of both but I still make the effort to make first time situations as calm and organized as possible (even if its just so he can't sneak off and grab food from a counter etc)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts