Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a dog on Friday and have been trying to find the owner, but until then I'm going to take on some light training to establish dominance (puppy push-ups, come, proper leash walking, etc).

The problem I have, though, is that the dog has shown no interest in food or training treats. He's only nibbling at regular hard food (the kind that my other dog eats, who is smaller, so size isn't an issue), and snubbed the Alpo Filet Mignon (even after I explained to him that filet mignon is supposed to be awesome). I've tried giving him both meaty treats and crackers, and he'll take them, but then just sit them down and forget about them.

So, what do I use for positive reinforcement?

If it matters, I think that he's a miniature schnauzer. He's old enough to have adult teeth, but I don't think he's more than a year old because he acts like a puppy. He's also not neutered, and he's obviously sexually mature. I don't think he's ever had any training from the owners.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Test him. Does he have high(er) pack drive or high(er)prey drive? That will determine what you use for motivators.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts