Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is a 11-week old Shelti, we got him from pet shop 3 weeks ago.

We didn't give him really crate training 'coz he seemed to be totally happy with a crate from the beginning. (That confused us, too...)And he goes along well with the crate. But today he starts crying in the crate after releases outdoor, it lasts for at least 30 mins. And later when a friend came, played with him for a while and then left, he starts cry again. That at last drove me crazy. Before the second round of crying I just left the room, close the door and paid no attention to him. For the second round I said "no!" when he started to make noise like the starting of human cry (like someone is crying but not yet crying out). Did I solve the situation in right way? Or what shall I do to stop him crying?

Besides, Peter hasn't learned his name or "coming" command yet. He is smart, energetic and not very obeying. So any time when he is out crate, we keep him on leash. Is it right to do so? And is it important for the puppy to eat in the crate and after people eat? Peter just starts eating after we eat and eating in the crate today. Before today, we walk him and feed him first, then keep him in the crate, and then we eat.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Welcome to our forum.
Before the second round of crying I just left the room, close the door and paid no attention to him. For the second round I said "no!" when he started to make noise like the starting of human cry (like someone is crying but not yet crying out). Did I solve the situation in right way? Or what shall I do to stop him crying?
Negative attention is still attention. If you say no!, he may learn to cry when you're not around, but this isn't the learning you want. So, ignoring him is the appropriate thing to do when you're in the room or not.

Besides, Peter hasn't learned his name or "coming" command yet. He is smart, energetic and not very obeying.
He hasn't learned yet. If he hasn't learned yet, how can he be disobedient?

So any time when he is out crate, we keep him on leash. Is it right to do so?
This is fine for short periods of time and as long as you're holding the leash, or have him in view.

And is it important for the puppy to eat in the crate and after people eat?
When he eats relative to your feedings is of no importance. Feeding him in the crate is acceptable too but it would not be my preference. A pup this young should be hand fed a portion of his meal, and you should use his food to teach his name and a recall, along with any other behaviors you'd like him to learn. I would still make the crate a fun place to be with food, but not food in a bowl - food in a frozen stuffed Kong. A frozen stuffed Kong is like a pacifier.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to our forum.

Negative attention is still attention. If you say no!, he may learn to cry when you're not around, but this isn't the learning you want. So, ignoring him is the appropriate thing to do when you're in the room or not.

He hasn't learned yet. If he hasn't learned yet, how can he be disobedient?

This is fine for short periods of time and as long as you're holding the leash, or have him in view.

When he eats relative to your feedings is of no importance. Feeding him in the crate is acceptable too but it would not be my preference. A pup this young should be hand fed a portion of his meal, and you should use his food to teach his name and a recall, along with any other behaviors you'd like him to learn. I would still make the crate a fun place to be with food, but not food in a bowl - food in a frozen stuffed Kong. A frozen stuffed Kong is like a pacifier.
Thanks a lot!

And a frozen stuffed Kong sounds great! We tried to feed hime with Kong stuffed with food, too. But when he finds the food in kong won't fell out automently, he gives up, anyway I never saw him trying to get the food out hard, at many times the food was just there, never be touched...is it normal for a puppy to do so? (I'm pretty sure that he loves the food in kong)

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've had two shelties and neither one liked the kong.

Are you taking your dog to puppy class? Shelties are very smart dogs and love to learn stuff.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
In my experience, crying in crates is normal. I crated my pup (by the way, crates are supposed to be a positive thing, not a punishment) whenever I would leave the house. She would cry and bark for awhile, maybe half an hour, then go to sleep.

Now she loves her crate and goes in there when she seems me get out a bone (what I give her when I leave her in her crate).

I think when you pup cries, he just wants you to pay attention to him. Puppies need a lot of attention, plus it is healthy for them to get it so they know they are loved in the pack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had two shelties and neither one liked the kong.

Are you taking your dog to puppy class? Shelties are very smart dogs and love to learn stuff.
Then what would be their favourite?

Peter seems to love my backpack most...:confused:...he never spends more than 5 mins on any toys other than my backpack...and he chews my desk...sometimes I'm just not knowing he is a rat or a Shelti:eek: Peter loves chewing big thread like articles, like those on the backpack, but when we give him thread for chewing, he just won't stick on chewing that:confused:

And I agree that Sheltis are soooooo smart...sometimes I'm even doubting Shelti is too smart for a beginner to handle

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd love to understand better the need for hand feeding. I never did this with my pup and he learned his name and obediance to come, sit, stay, etc with out the use of treats (I didn't want him to only listen when food was present which was an issue my family had when I was smaller with a dog of ours).

I just don't see the relation behind hand feeding (or know of a need to do so) so that's why I'm asking. I can see the relation with helping him to learn his name and such if one chooses to use treats and such to train.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts