Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for needing advice again so soon but (and this is an important disclaimer to the whole post): I tend to over-worry!

SHORT FORM: we called the vet with the following symptoms: nose-blowing, intermittent coughing, and some vomiting. The vet gave us meds. We then discovered the probable cause of the vomiting symptom (she ate some boxer shorts...), but additional vomiting has continued-- possibly side effects from the meds. But she has also displayed thicker eye-mucus, which can be a sign of distemper. Since we're not sure if the vomiting is a symptom or not, should we (1) continue the meds or take her off to find out? (2) Take her to the vet immediately, or wait a few days?

LONG FORM

We adopted Pixel, a Pomeranian and/or Tibetan Spaniel mix, a week ago from our local shelter. Since Saturday or Sunday she has developed a nose-blowing habit, especially in the morning and/or outside, an intermittent/occasional dry cough, and some vomiting. She has also had some minor eye discharge since we picked her up, which I'd been watching but wasn't super worried about on its own just yet (more of a "next vet check-up to-do").

Here's where it gets complicated: we called the vet, who gave us some meds to give her (cephalexin, temaril-p, and unspecified "cough tablets"), which we started giving, and she began vomiting a bit more frequently (mostly liquid). THEN my boyfriend saw some of her vomit, since I'd kept a sample in case we need to go to the vet, and realized that a significant chunk of it was...his boxers that she had devoured! We didn't realize that she'd EATEN a bunch of it, rather than just shredding/chewing.

Because she still has other symptoms I gave her the meds again today, this time ground into powder and mixed with peanut butter in pill form-- she really had trouble with the cephalexin pill last night. But I also noticed this morning that her eye discharge got thick...which put me in mind of my reading up on Canine Distemper. I'd read up because my mother's animal shelter phobia began when she adopted a dog that developed distemper and passed away.

But it's hard to tell if distemper is likely because I don't actually know if vomiting is a real symptom or not. Both of the named meds the doc gave us have a potential side effect of nausea/vomiting. On the other hand she hasn't shown any diarrhea and she's eating fine, so hoping no major dehydration. She doesn't seem desperate for water, and she has a healthy appetite.

Which FINALLY brings me to my first question (thanks for your patience with me!): if she keeps vomiting today while on the meds, should I take her OFF them to see if she keeps throwing up? Or should I keep her on them per the vet's instructions?

And/or should she be taken to the vet immediately? Are there particular signs or symptoms that I should look for to signify "okay, it's vet time"? Her health insurance doesn't kick in for illness until next Thursday, so I don't want to rush if it's probably not necessary and I'm just being a worry-wart...but obviously if it IS necessary I want to do something now!

·
Super Moderator
7,422 Posts
If you know she has eaten a pair of boxers, I'd say an immediate trip to the vet is necessary, especially if she is still vomiting. She could potentially have an obstruction, which can be fatal. I wouldn't be taking any chances.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Oh, for what it's worth she hasn't eaten the entire boxers, just a small portion of them...not sure if that changes your advice any, but thank you! (Edit: Oh, and she's also kept down pretty much everything that she's eaten. Of her various vomits yesterday only one contained solids, and it was definitely less than she'd eaten.)

And thank you CrazyDogLady as well.

We're watching her closely and will call the vet to get their advice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: she's at my boyfriend's office today, and he reports that she just had a healthy pee and poop and seems generally happy and energetic. She has also not thrown up all day despite wolfing down her breakfast, so we are not taking her straight into the vet, but we are monitoring her closely just in case.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.