Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was posting yesterday that the breeding I was after looks like a false pregnancy, and I'm not sure when that breeder is going to breed again after that.

I found another breeder that is breeding now, and I looked into it because I'm starting school again in Feb/March and would really like to have 2 months with more time for a puppy before that. They do health testing, which is my #1 concern, and socialize the puppies, which is my #2, and I've seen some positive experiences with them online, however when I talked to her, the breeder said that they are already taking deposits, even though there isn't a proof of pregnancy yet.

It sounds a bit like a red flag to me, how normal is it? I'm not picky about color, just the sex, but I'm still a bit wary about sending $300 without knowing when I'll actually get a puppy (when, personality speaking, I'm more comfortable with the breeder I wanted to go with originally). I'm waiting for her to send me the contract, but I'm just not sure about what to do at this point (the other one was only going to ask for the deposit when the puppies were born).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
It really varies and you're just going to have to decide what you're comfortable with. Some breeders require a deposit to be on their wait-list, some want one when the puppy is born, some at confirmation of pregnancy or anywhere inbetween.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have had a breeder take NO deposit.

I also know breeders who take a deposit when:
Pregnancy is confirmed.
# of puppies is confirmed.
When puppies are born.
When puppies are 10 days old.

Deposit refundability is also variable and that is what you really need to know. If you put a puppy deposit in for a male from a specific breeding and the litter is 100% females (it happens!), how is that deposit handled?

And, last, but not least, does the breeder have references that can verify deposits being returned (if deposit return is part of the deal).

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I don't think either of our dog breeders took a deposit, but I don't think (to me) it's necessarily a red flag. I would ask what happens to the deposit if a suitable puppy for you isn't born. If the deposit just keeps you on the waitlist for the next litter, it wouldn't be that big of a deal for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
First dog from a breeder but it was a deposit to reserve a specific puppy after seeing them at 6 weeks, non-refundable barring health defects, etc.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's getting very slow sending me that contract so I'm probably not going to bother with that breeder anyway...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts