Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a new dog/older puppy.

I've never really had much experience with dogs as I've always had cats.

So, I was kind of surprised and, I admit, amused (though I didn't let on ;) ) when Ruby acted out when I ate in front of her.

I offered her her very nice Iams Puppy food -- but she didn't want it -- she wanted my pizza!!

She had just eaten 2 little treats for reward of coming down 2 flights of stairs, so, I felt that she'd already had treat food.

I really would like to keep her away from people food -- is that realistic? I don't know!! My cats always ate a good quality dry cat food or the occasional treat/tuna fish.

Certainly, I don't want to torture her. She's a puppy, though, so she's going to be around me a lot and not parked on the sofa content to daydream by herself.

Should I crate her when I eat? Should I give her people food? Should I just ignore her (funny, but also distressing for both of us) passive aggressive antics?

Thanks for any insight. :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yes crate her or keep her out of the room until you trained her to be calm around you when you are eating. I don't give table scraps for this very reason. If I do give her something I'm eating, like a banana, I make her sit and wait for it so she knows jumping around or begging won't get her what she wants.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Thanks, that sounds good. What about if we're outside or at a place where there may not be a crate? We plan to take her along with us when leave the house.
Everywhere? I mean I take my dog a lot of places but you need to be able to leave her at home too. You'll eventually want to eat inside a restaurant.

But no, you don't need to crate her when you eat, just ignore that behavior.

Also, Iams is not a good food.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My mom will eat food with the dogs on the bed. Bubba will be trying to steal her food the whole time. He even grabbed the pizza she was eating.

I have a little gate that I put in front of the door when I'm eating to keep the dogs from coming in the room.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thanks, that sounds good. What about if we're outside or at a place where there may not be a crate? We plan to take her along with us when leave the house.
That's where training them to be in a down stay right next to you or a sit will come into play. I find them to be a lot calmer around humans eating when they've never had anything fed to them from the table - no expectations.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Lol -- pizza on the bed, must be a universal human/dog experience. :p

I like the crate training idea because our house has pretty wide walkways for gates. We'll get her a mat eventually -- she really is motivated to do well, so as soon as I figure out how to steer this ship, I think we'll be doing pretty good!

My sister had a little dog while we were growing up -- but we never had to train him. He was full grown Schipperke with impeccable manners. We would tell him to lay down and he'd go under the coffee table for awhile. I realize now that I'm on this site someone might have trained him to do that!!!

I'm thinking maybe her Kong filled with dog treats -- that might do the trick while she's learning and we're out where there's no crate -- with the advantage that she wouldn't eat too many due to the work involved.

Quote: "I find them to be a lot calmer around humans eating when they've never had anything fed to them from the table - no expectations."

Yeah, that was my thinking, not give in -- but I could tell I was doing it wrong.

She went over and started loving on my snoozing H, trying to make me jealous, LOL -- giving me little looks "This loving could be YOURS if you'd only feed me pizza, hearless woman". LOL.

This dog is awesome!!! :) (But, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me a lot). :p

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Start training her to "go lay down". I have no problem with giving "human food" to dogs, and do it with my dog all the time. but then again he is trained to not beg, and knows if he doesnt beg and does as he is told, his chances of getting somthing are very good.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This dog is pretty small -- I worry about her getting overweight with this kind of relentless husband-stealing, stop-at-nothing, food questy-ness.

She doesn't like to chew, on anything (oh, but food). She doesn't like toys. She doesn't even like her kong.

She must be a Foodie!!

After all, she has snubbed Iams and wants hand-tossed New York-style pizza instead (and will have her way with my man to try to get it). I knew it -- I'm going to have to show her pics of Rachel Ray, nothing else will probably work. :D

Hehehe, oh, I don't know, I see so much disfunction ahead, which way to a well-adjusted, non-diabetic Foodie Doggie??

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I can not stand a begging dog. It drives me nuts...lol

With mine, I just ignored them if they were begging. If it got to be ridiculous begging then I'd turn my back on them and act like they weren't even there. If they barked at me, then I'd remove them from the room. They caught on pretty quick that begging gets them nowhere. However, if they are laying down nicely and aren't paying attention to me eating...they *might* get rewarded. ;) However, it has to be universal response in the household. Everyone needs to react the same way to begging behavior. Begging is NEVER rewarded here.

With my Lab, I can drop food on the floor and he will not touch it unless I give him the Ok to do so...my Mastiff doesn't quite have that self restraint. To him, if its on the floor its fair game...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Someone fed the dog people food, before you got him. You will not torture the dog if you don't feed him people food. In fact, he is genetically programmed to torture you into believing that you always have to feed him when he is hungry.... And he is always hungry.

First, you want to get the rules established and one rule is that people food is yours, not his. In a few months, after he learns this, then you can relax the rule if you want, but for now, no people food. However, you can give him some "people food" veggies etc. in his food dish, while he is eating... but not while you are eating.

I suggest MDawn's approach of ignoring or removing the begging dog. It is a bad idea to let a dog think that it can teach you to feed it people food by begging. Processed People food can be harmful for dogs. So, I suggest that you re-condition him to understand that he is not allowed to beg while you are eating.

- Hank Simon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts