Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog started vomiting his kibble on Thursday night. Fast forward to Saturday morning: vomiting everything he'd eat. Took him to the vet Saturday morning (before people start freaking out to take him in, I already paid the $120 vet visit, which thankfully wasn't expensive) Vet said he was really dehydrated and said it wasn't a intestinal blockage (I was really thankful) They gave him IV Fluids and Maropitant (Cerenia) shot for nausea. Told me to feed him very very little or else he'd be back in getting the same "treatment" Went home and literally fed him (rice and chicken) a tsp. every hour/couple of hours. Fast forward today and he's doing great.
So here's my thoughts/questions: Should I take him off the chicken and rice on Thursday and put him on his normal food or should I wait a bit longer? (I have no issue waiting longer)
When I do put him back to his normal kibble should I slowly transition between chicken & rice and kibble? Or it really doesn't matter?
Thanks for reading

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
When my dogs got their one and only serious gut upset I fed chicken and rice until diarrhea was gone and stool was starting to form up. Then I added a little bit of canned plain pumpkin until stool was normal. As I did all that I changed meals from a spoonful every hour to 2 spoons every 2 hours the next day until dogs were eating a good amount twice a day. Once that done ready to go back to normal food. I substituted a spoon of kibble for a spoon of mush and waited a day. If all was good I went ahead and fed a couple meals that way then increased kibble and decreased mush a spoonful at a time daily after that.

If there's no diarrhea then you don't have to wait to see bowel movements but go slowly in increasing meal size the first couple days. You would think the dog would hate going back on kibble but mush is low fat, low sodium so my dogs were delighted to get normal meals again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He doesn't have any diarrhea, I thought he would but he actually has normal stool (a bit on the soft side but still good)
I also thought Jojo wouldn't want to go back to kibble but I'm sure he'd be happy to get a normal size meal. Although the vet mentioned he was a bit on the thin side so I might increase his food once he's fully switched over to kibble.
I'll probably just add a little by little of kibble until his entire bowl is of kibble. Hopefully all goes well the next couple of days/week
Thanks

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
am glad you pup is on the mend :) :) do you think it was the bag of food. My cat got violently ill after feeding his food, he went off his food for over a week before he felt better .. It bothered me that the food was bad in that batch, that I purchased a different brand of cat food for him and he switched back no problem.. Some times a bag can go bad...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
am glad you pup is on the mend
do you think it was the bag of food. My cat got violently ill after feeding his food, he went off his food for over a week before he felt better .. It bothered me that the food was bad in that batch, that I purchased a different brand of cat food for him and he switched back no problem.. Some times a bag can go bad...
Haven't talked to you in a while :)
At 1st I thought he was eating his food too fast because he was puking whole pieces of kibble but he puked too many times and would re eat if I didn't get to him on time. But the vet said he must've gotten into something. I don't know exactly what he could've got into.
But I know the food isn't "bad" as my other 3 dogs are all on the same bag of food he was eating and are all fine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So would it be okay if I were to wait until Monday to switch him. I just realize I won't be home majority of the day on Sunday. And my dogs aren't allowed to "go" inside the house. The last thing I need for him is to get a stomach upset and me not be home. My dogs are fine and I do have a person who comes to take them out once or twice depending. But she wouldn't be able to stay with Jojo the entire time. But is that too long on chicken and rice?
Also this morning he got into a townhouse buttery cracker by mistake. I was able to catch him on time and take the majority of it out his mouth but I'm hoping he won't get a tummy upset (I do realize I'm probably overreacting)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Probably be fine. A lot of tummy upsets are too much food and you've been underfeeding him since he's been sick. American human sick food is chicken soup, saltine crackers and jello so this was simply a richer cracker than we'd eat when sick.

Monday? It's Wednesday and he's been fine since going to the vet? Start moving to larger mushy meals now, he'll be fine on Sunday when you cannot be there to spoon feed every couple hours and on Monday add a couple kibbles. I don't think he was very sick if it didn't get into the intestines, more an irritated stomach than a bacterial overgrowth. It was good and irritated though since he was so dehydrated. Really good that you took him in when you did. You will know if it's better when you start feeding larger meals. Do go slowly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just called the vet's office. They said it be fine to switch him on Monday. But to do it slowly just like if I were to transition him to a new dog food.
Just today I've started feeding him "larger" portions. He got 1/4 cup rice and 1/8 cup chicken for breakfast all at once. So now I will have enough time to increase his food each day which was something I also wanted to do before getting switched to kibble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts