Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first post, and I'm not sure if this is in the correct category, but I just had a random question-and any input would be great. I was wondering when dogs stop growing. Researching, I read around 18 months. But my chocolate lab seems to not be getting any bigger-he's 6 months old, at about 40 pounds. I also have a yellow lab, and looking back at pictures when he was 6 months old Patton seemed much bigger. I know I see him everyday, so that probably makes a difference. When I send my husband pictures of the dogs (he's in iraq) he tells me that he can tell he is getting bigger. I think he is going to be a smaller lab to begin with-his mom is a black lab, and she is only about 55-60 pounds. I was just wondering when to expect him to reach full growth!?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
My Lab, Eddie, slowed down in growing taller around 1 year old or so...maybe even a little before that...but he was still gaining bulk until he was about 2 years old or so. People kept telling me that he was getting bigger but I didn't really see it because, like you mentioned, I saw him everyday. However, looking at pictures of him from when he was around 1 year old and then pictures when he was 2 there is a very noticeable difference in the size of his face and chest...not to mention his waistline...but we are working on that...lol :rolleyes:

I think it just depends on individual dogs as well as breed. My Mastiff is 2 1/2 and I think he still is putting on bulk but I don't think he'll get any taller.

Have you measured your Labs height? My Lab has been 24 inches tall, it seems like forever...but when measuring my Mastiff's height several months ago, I saw that he did finally gain that half an itch that put him at 31 inches tall...before that I thought he was going to stay stuck at 30 1/2. I would have swore by it...lol Sometimes it really is so slow and gradual that we really just don't see it.

If your dog is only 6 months old...I'm sure he still has a lot of growing to do...its just slowed down a bit.

The mom was within standard size for a female Lab, according to their standard...females 55-70 and males 65-80lbs. My Lab is a freak of nature at 123lbs. :eek: He needs to lose weight but even when he was at a good healthy weight, he was around 110lbs. He was thin and just very muscular...He's taller than most other Labs he's been around, although he's still within standard height but he's seemed to be longer than them as well. Like I said though, he's a freak of nature...:p :rolleyes:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm sure its a lot like kids....

My girls will go through a growth spurt every couple of months where they eat like they are starving and suddenly their shoes and pants are too short!!

I would assume a slow natural growth all the time but you would see the changes after a growth spurt :p because it happens quickly.

At least that's what I think... ^_^ just my opinoin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts