Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is enuff.....i had Lacey in at the vets yesterday for a "recheck" on the lump on her side that had been diagnosed back in Dec as a "fatty tumor"....at the time it was about the size of a pea and is now about the size of a quarter.....my regular vet, whom i have alot of respect for, saw her this time (last time it was a newer vet that i've only had a time or 2) and he said that it has grown but still feels like a fatty tumor rather that something to be to concerned about and that at this point he wouldn't even recommend going in to remove it.....i trust him on this as he has not led me wrong on anything w/ my dogs yet....

but, and for the main reason for this post, while we were there i had him check her hips as well along w/ her front feet (she's the one w/ HD and her front feet are soooo swollen and knotted w/ arthritis).....she has absolutely no extension in her hind legs....the furthest back he could get them was even w/ the tail base....he said that part of it was due to the pain (this after she had been give her pain meds about 1 hr b/4) but most of it was due to the way the hip has become....the joint cannot move back.....she has been doing a lot of "falling" (back legs going out from under her) when playing at the park (mind you, her play consists of a Jolly Ball that is kicked so it goes maybe 5' if i can get it past her and, even tho we're out there for about an hr, she gets maybe 10 min of this in that whole time), for the 1st time in the 10 yrs i've had her she (air)snapped at my hand one night when i had gently touched her hind leg and then moved away so i couldn't touch her again (very un-Lacey-like)...the Tramadol that she is on (200mg a day) is being increased to 300 mg a day to see if it helps more, and she often "asks" to be lifted into the van or onto the bed/sofa (again, very un-Lacey-like and you can see the dignity go out of her bearing [she's a very proud girl]), she "cries" sometimes in her sleep and for the 1st time in a while she slept last night w/ out twitches and quite deeply (she was given extra Tramadol which causes drowsiness)....so, my question to you all is, how long would you keep her going knowing that she hurts sooo bad all the time, and that the only time she can forget it (sorta) is when we're out there playing? ....this is my girl, and i can't let her go, but i can't stand to see her hurt so much.....how do i do this...make this decision?

what would you guys do?

oh, she's only 10....this shouldn't be this way.....can i kneecap the breeder, let him know what her and her brother (Tipper) had/ve gone thru all their lives?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Im sorry to hear about Lacey. :(

Trust your judgment, TIR. You know what is best for her. Whatever you decide for her, please know that we are all here for you. (hugs)

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
How sad Tirluc :(

All I can say is you know Lacey better than anyone. Does she have more bad times than good? Has her quality of life deteroriated to where there is none at all? Has Lacey shown you any indication that she's had enough?

I know where you're coming from, I've been there. It's one of the most difficult decisions there is.

My experience has been that when they're ready.. they will let you know.

My heart goes out to you and Lacey.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry for what you're going thru & understand all that you've written. It sounds basically like the very same thing I'm going thru with George.
And believe me, I question myself & my judgement. Some times I feel like George has had enough ... other times I'm hell bent on making his life better, or giving him more time ... it IS hard to know, & I'm so sorry I can't give you any advise or tell you what to do, I can offer you my sympathy for what I know you're going thru.
Some times I do wonder if I'm being selfish ... but other times I have to wonder if I'm jumping the gun, or just not doing enough on my part ...
You & Lacey are in my thoughts.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx guys, for your replies....

Renoman, her "quality" of life has gone from being able to play (w/ moderation, of course) for hrs to being down to this 10 min in the whole time we're out....anymore than that and she really hurts were the Tramadol doesn't even cut it.....and that's really about her good time....i know she enjoys being w/ me all the time as well but the rest of the time we're out and such she's just riding in the van or at work w/ me....and staying drugged up is, what i can see, is going to be the next level...the 300 is going to already do a number on that end....

as for her telling me she's had enuff, i kinda think that that is what the snap was all about "i hurt, don't bother me, let me alone"....and, i know alot of you probably don't believe in this sort of stuff but a friend of mine has been doing "animal communications"....she says that when she "talked" w/ Lacey, Lacey told her that she wants to go but she knows i'm not ready for that, yet, and she wants to wait till i can be....

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
"....and, i know alot of you probably don't believe in this sort of stuff but a friend of mine has been doing "animal communications"....she says that when she "talked" w/ Lacey, Lacey told her that she wants to go but she knows i'm not ready for that, yet, and she wants to wait till i can be....
I can't find any reason NOT to believe in it. Until someone proves to me that it's impossible, I will believe. I have another friend who in deeply involved in animal communication and some of the things she's told me .. well suffice to say I get goosebumps. :eek:

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Tir, if you think she's had enough and is ready to move on, then get your self in order and take care of her wishes. I know it's hard, it was for me too with Max, all the more so because he was so YOUNG! However he was living in pain and fear everyday. I couldn't find it in my heart to let it continue even though my heart was breaking at the though of him leaving me.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carla, i think what is sooo hard for me here is we had to have her brother PTS last July for pretty much the same reason (plus he was so afraid of any noise that even remotely resembled thunder and was spending most of his time in his crate, nose in the back corner (door still open, just where he felt safe)....and Lacey has been w/ pretty much 24/7 since she was 7 wks old....either way, it is ripping my heart out....

i'm gonna give her a month on the 300 mg of Tramadol and if i have to go higher than that (which will just keep her a walking zombie, i'm sure) i think i'll have to take her in.....

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
When Lucky was ready to go I knew it. We waited a little longer than we should have, me and my parents were not ready. She was ok with that I think. But when she really needed to go we knew and we let her go. She seemed at peace going to the vet and going in there. Didn't even seemed bothered when we put her up on the table for them to just go over her. She was about 18 years old.

Have you tried water therapy, a cart or brace to support her hips, accupuncture or pressure? (just trying to give you other things to try).

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am so sorry.

I went through a similar thing with my 14yo Dal. Fatty tumors and all.

She had really bad arthritis in her hips. She ambled along for quite awhile; slowing down bit by bit. She got to the point where I would go home at lunch and carry her outside to do her business. She got to the point where she could barely squat. Thing is, she wasn't fussing about it.

She stopped eating. Unheard of for her.

I had made the decision to take her to the vet, and she took it out of my hands. I sat up with her the last night until about 3am. I fell asleep on the floor with her. When I woke up at 6, she was gone. She too was waiting for me to get ready. As ready as anyone can get, I guess.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I agree with Wvasko, 10 years with you has been filled with love and devotion to her. You have happy memories of her, that is why it hurts so much to think about ending your time together. I know for me, it comes down to not allowing my dogs to suffer needlessly. You will know when she has had enough. Let her tell you. I am so sorry you are going through this, no words can help you feel better. We are all here for you.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you tried water therapy, a cart or brace to support her hips, accupuncture or pressure? (just trying to give you other things to try).
the water therapy is something that i (unfortunately) can't afford...the only place close by that has a facility is our E-vet and they want (someone told me) like $50 an hr to use it....i have thought about the cart and have even discussed it w/ my vet, but she has arthritis in her shoulders as well as her HD and arthritis there that it wouldn't do her any good....we even discussed a full cart (one that would just "lift" her to relieve some of the pain on her joints), but then, like the vet said, she still wouldn't be able to do much (and there's the quality of life).....my neighbour does pet therapy w/ Rehke (sp?)(energy) and touch and that does help a little so we do use that as much as we can get our schedules together (she gets home about the same time i'm going to bed b/4 work) but we can usually get it at least 2x a wk.....

i'll keep talking to her and we'll see how the next month goes....i'll keep you updated....for you that may not know, Lacey is the gorgeous one on the left in my sig pic....

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
That sucks that the water therapy is so expensive:( Is it warm where you are? You could try a pond and just have her walk in it where it is deep enough its up on her shoulders, but her feet still touch the ground. I love it in summer because Allie can go swimming (she has bad hips too, she is 6) and that is excellent exercise for her. When she seems sore I put a warm rice bag over her hips and that seems to help her too.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
no, melgrj7, it's warming up (finally) but i live in WI so it's been pretty dang cold....in the summer/fall she was doing some swimming when we'd go goosing while using a lifejacket....that way she didn't have to worry about getting tired out, but, of course, all good things must come to an end and winter came.....

that was another thing that had to be taken away from her...goosing...unfortunately, the grounds around most ponds are either rocky or very uneven ground, which would trip her up and cause falls, thus hurting her hips even more.....if she's still w/ me when the nesting starts she'll get to do that as it's all on leash and on pretty level ground, but thats not for about another month....

thanx, wvasko.....she is soooo sweet, too....

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Yeah, we have that issue with it getting cold here too. When ever you decide is the time it will be the right one. I miss lucky every single day, I honestly do. I want her back every single day. But, I do not regret the decision to put her down when we did. She was ready to go.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I'm terribly sorry TIR, that's one of the toughest calls to make with a dog I think. My only suggestion would be accupuncture, it seems to have done a world of good for Mo's back. Otherwise like everyone else has said, maybe it's time to get yourself together to honor her wishes. :(

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanx, everyone....i think, knowing i have ppl "in my corner" helps to come to this decision better....i'll work w/ it this month on the higher dosage and see how it goes....hopefully it will help greatly w/out causing her to be drowsy....that could be bad when she does want to play as she won't have the co-ordination she needs....

thanx again, you've all been a great help....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts