Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you think, on average, does it take to tell whether your dog will be reactive in the future.
Or is it kind of an, at any time occurrence?

Sans is a year and nine months old. I've done my best to keep all her interactions with dogs positive, but lately a lot of dogs have been picking on her again. This happens fairly randomly, and as a puppy she would usually back down while they picked on her, but now she gets snippy right back. She hasn't ever been in it for the kill/win and I've been able to whistle her away from the dogs every time.

It's just kind of a concern I've always had, I don't want her to be selective, and I don't want other dogs to pick on her. I mean, maybe she's just being assertive, I can't tell.

Why do you think that happens, that occasionally dogs will target her that are otherwise usually really friendly with her?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I don't know. Some dogs just have something about them. Some dogs always seem to be ignored and always manage to avoid scuffles (our neighbor's podengo), others always seem to be the one to evoke a reactive response from another dog (my previous dog Charlie).

Mike used to evoke reactive responses from other dogs but that was only because he was so awkward himself. He's still awkward, but he's learned that if he doesn't bother with other dogs, they usually don't bother with him.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sans is very excitable and plays well with a variety of dogs. At daycare they let her play with every size and she does really well, I've only heard good things.
At the dog park, or playdates she either doesn't find someone with compatible energy levels and stays with me to play, or seeks out puppies (or runners/chasers) to chase around. She's not a wrestler and just likes to run. She doesn't get intense on catching the dog and will often be the one to play submissively (end up on the bottom, appeasements signs when things get too intense, play bows repeatedly to let them know she's still playing). Body language-wise she seems to be doing everything right.

This whole last week has been a bad week for her. There's one person that I bump into when I walk with Sans, who has his dog off leash. The dog always runs up to say hi and I leash Sans before he approaches. The owner comes running up delayed as usually and apologizes for his rude dog. Yesterday the dog went for her. Ripped across the field and went for her aggressively and she wasn't going down quietly.
Today Sans went to daycare and one of the dogs she usually plays with went after her as soon as she entered the building. Nothing was different in how she greeted the poodle. Sans play bowed and rolled into the grass playfully and the dog's lip curled and she lunged for her.
Couple days ago we walked by this dog that we walk by all the time who is chained in his front yard (weird, I know). Sans didn't look at him because he's never moved to be interesting to her. That day he ran to the end of the leash full throttle and slammed against the chains, scared the crap out of me. But we kept moving.

I know a lot of people frown upon the dog park, but try to put that aside to just discuss what this could BE.

It seems to happen randomly. As a puppy she'd have a week where everyone would target her then months where no one would notice her. Hasn't happened in a while, but randomly there will be like a week where any time she's around dogs they'll pick on her specifically.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Josefina is awkward with other dogs ... I eont know if it's because she was an orphan with no mom, or what but she always ends up being the target for other dogs. Even Lincoln will pick on her mercilessly and I have to keep them separated now because she won't repell him properly she will be stoic until she loses her temper and them goes ape poop on a dog.

She is also very badly SSA, she is fine when she is out and about, she can be around other dogs of the same sex she just can't live with them or interact with them in a dog park like setting.

Lincoln so far has no issues with any dogs and I hope it stays that way lmao.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
It doesn't sound like the problem is her reactivity or dog selectivity right now, but if she keeps having altercations with dogs who target her it could become an issue. I think mature dogs with lots of good experiences are more likely to let that stuff roll off, vs younger dogs who are still deciding how they feel about other dogs. But I would worry if she's consistently having bad interactions with other dogs (even though she's not starting it).

I think reactivity can basically be genetic, where the dog is hard wired to be that way and it's up to the owner to prevent, manage, and teach the dog how to deal. But it's also possible to create reactivity in a dog who isn't predisposed to it, by having repeated bad experiences with other dogs that make them feel like they need to protect themselves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts