Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So My pooch had a major bought of vomiting this spring. It lasted around a month of on and off vomiting( she would be fine for a few days then puke for a few days). I took her to my vet numerous times and they figured nothing out. X rays showed nothing abnormal, energy was good and appetite was good. I was about to try barium x rays or an ultra sound, when all of the sudden went away. Last night she puked again(almost 6 months after the issue). She then puked around noon and again just a few minutes ago. I picked up some pepsid from the vet today. It only been around 24 hours. Ive certainly have had bugs last longer. It seems to happen a few hours after eating. Hopefully she will be better tomorrow but I have my doubts. Energy seems slightly off(she was fine on an hour + hike today, appetite is high(since she has not taken in food at all today.) Palpitating the stomach does not have any response from her. Do I run to the vet tomorrow for x rays? Give it till Friday? I really hate having a sick dog and my bank account has been slowly dwindling(last stomach issue cost over 1500 buck for no answers).

Thanks for any insight

·
Registered
583 Posts
deep powder ,
Please give a little background on dog: Breed , weight , age ,wellness/shot history?
Has dog ever been treated for Giardia or Coccidia ?
Does stool look normal? How many meals per day and amount fed? Treats?
List any meds/supplements , Flea or HW prevention given on regular basis?

Did your Vet prescribe any meds at the visit last spring , and , did Vet give opinion about your dog’s sickness at the time?
………………………………................................................................
Food :
Spotted nikes , makes a good point about your dogs food quality needs.
I would add this: check for recalls on dogs current food , treats etc.
Make sure no exercise immediately before or after feeding, very important…
………………………………..................................................................

Take a little time and do a check of what is around the house , inside/outside/garage/yard that may cause a health risk for you dog.

For example:
Inside = chemicals in bath area including treated toilet water.
Pesticides or rat/mouse baits , carpet powder/cleaner used in house.
Laundry&kitchen area soap/cleaners/dryer sheets. Access to meds/candy/food/tobacco products , foil wrapped or plain etc on counter tops or low end tables. Matches or any type of fire starter.

Outside = Chemicals in garage area , snow melt , pesticides/ poisons and leaking/overflow anti-freeze from car/tractor or other water cooled equip.
Standing water or water runoff from snowmelt or other chemical.
Does your dog have a food or water bowl outside?

As for the trip to the Vet, Do what you feel is right for your dog.............. That is what I do.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I remember that episode with your dog. I think what you should do, or what I would do, is do a diary of your dog's day and indicate when she vomits, what is she doing when she vomits, what does the vomit look like...appetite, thirst, urination and bowel movements. Write down what and how much she eats. Stuff like that. Then if it continues tomorrow, bring her to the vet. Then you can give him a detailed account. If it stops and she's fine, then great. If she's not eating, having a bowel movement, vomiting water or foam or blood, drinking a lot, I would bring her in immediately. But if she is still eating normally, acting normally, having normal bowel movements, leave it until tomorrow and see how she does.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
One additional note to what Flipgirl said: Is it vomiting or regurgitation?
1. Regurgitation is fairly quick and the dog can't easily control it.
2. Vomiting can take a little longer, and you can see the dog churning before she vomits. She may even be able to hold it until she gets outside.

Describing those types of situations may help diagnosis. Regurgitation can relate to stress or even a small esophagus (stenosis).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the replies. I took her in on Friday to get checked. Vet does not feel like its an obstruction. Certainly its not been regurgitation(normally occurs 2-4 hours after eating) Vet put her on an anti vomiting drug that is for motion sickness. She has been puke free since(friday, saterday and sunday). Today Im not going to give her the medication and see what happens. She also put her on panacure because it seemed to work last time. Hopefully this will be the end of it. If she starts puking again I will start a log for the vet
Thanks

·
Registered
952 Posts
am going through something similar. if you search you'll find my thread. But all dogs are different. I'm waiting for results to come in from a biopsy done during an endoscope last week....

to answer the origial question. 2 weeks of vomiting 1x a day every other day or 2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts