Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know when to expect bad habbits. My baby is only 3 months old right now and the only bad habbit he has is chewing the kids toys. When should I expect territory (which I hope never happens) marking in the house? ( I will be getting him fixed ) Biting and stuff like that? He is a real gentle dog so I dont really see him doing any of this.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
If you start training now, you will greatly reduce creating the bad habits. ;) You need to start socializing him with lots of dogs and people, take him to some obedience classes. Marking in the house is a potty training issue, so you need to stay on top of him in the housebreaking department.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
If you start training now, you will greatly reduce creating the bad habits. ;) You need to start socializing him with lots of dogs and people, take him to some obedience classes. Marking in the house is a potty training issue, so you need to stay on top of him in the housebreaking department.
DITTO! Have your kids put their toys away, so your puppy doesn't have acess to them. When your puppy alert barks, go to the door or window immediately, then thank him, and go about your business. Marking is a housetraining issue. If your dog lifts his leg in your house, then immediately take him outside. You might also want to tether him to you for periods of time, so you can take him outside the minute you see by body language that he's going to pee. When you cannot supervise him, then crate him. Most puppies mouth - don't encourage it at all.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah we started training the day he came home. He is a great dog and is doing GREAT with potty training. I just didnt know if there was an age when the puppy stage ends and the maturity begins which could bring bad habbits or not

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Other dogs view the end of puppyhood at around 16 weeks. Up till then, bratty behavior is tolerated. But, after that, rude or ill mannered behavior will bring a swift, often vicious reprimand.
Puppy growth (muscles, weight, height, etc) takes 1-2 years. Often, full maturity including emotional maturity sets in around 2 years.
The 'bad' habits start on day one....puppy jumps up on people and it's 'cute'.
At 2 years old it's not so funny anymore.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah he has a bad problem with jumping up I cant control him. I dont even know where to start. I tell him sit but he just doesnt get it when people are here. He knows how to sit, give paw, stay, high five and we are working on speak. So hes a smart dog just a different dog when people come by.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts