Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup is 6 months old. I take him out every 2 hours. He was holding it for 3 but caught him marking in my house (he peed on a comforter and my sons foam chair) I want to take him out every 3 hours again but dont want him to mark. What do I do? He's a small breed and yes I am getting him fixed when he is a year old.

·
Registered
301 Posts
it is usually 1 hour for each month old they are. So if your puppy is 5-6 months old then he should be able to hold it for about 3 hours min!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Honestly if he's marking your home you need to get him neutered like YESTERDAY!
6 months or 6 lbs whichever happens first is the rule. The longer he keeps his testicles the more likely the behavior is here to stay, and the increased risk of prostate cancer. lop them off he doesnt need them for anything!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Have you talked to the vet? It could be a urinary tract infection causing him to urinate frequently, but if he's marking, it has nothing to do with holding his bladder. His marking is a behavior problem. Get him neutered now. No reason to wait. And then you still may have marking problems. Once they start it's hard to stop, but it can be done.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Marking is a behavioral problem, usually. As mentioned above, have the dog checked by a vet to rule out any urinary problems first though. Then address the behavior if the vet check turns up nothing. Neutering will not cure a behavioral problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts