Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a lack of a better term. I guess the real thing is Summer has no idea what to do with raw. I've tried switching her over before and since I've moved Trey over to raw for now and he's doing fabulous (no stool problems at all in the first two days and eating well) I'd like to switch Summer. The problem is no matter what I try giving her, she snubs it. I tried winglets recently, thinking those are about as small as you can get and she still sniffs it a few times and looks at me like... 'And what am I supposed to do with this?' or 'You expect me to eat THAT?!'

So any advice? Do you try ground meet or something at first? Trey has been so easy to switch, he loves his new food. I'd like Summer to eat raw mainly because of her teeth. They're getting buildup and it's hard to keep a toy dog's teeth clean. However, she won't chew on bones at all.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
To be completely honest, I'd just leave it. Honey was the same at first -- gave me that "er, what???" look -- but she started licking and chewing gingerly at it, and when I encouraged that behaviour she figured it out pretty quickly.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Honestly I just started giving my dogs chicken backs, and after about 5-10 minutes of licking and confusion, they were on board. Not very helpful, I know.

Kim acts with fish like Summer is acting with chicken, though. I've tried stuffing the fish cavity with peanut butter, putting a bit of garlic on the outside, etc. Nothing works. And I don't buy the whole "just wait them out...they won't starve themselves." Might work for some dogs, but when I tried that with Kim we went four days, and on the fifth morning I caved and gave her something else after she refused to eat again, because she was actually getting shakey.

If the bone is the issue I would start her on ground meat until she figures out it's food. If you need to mix something else she's used to eating into it, go for it. When I introduced organ, I had to leave it partially frozen at first so they would eat it...something about the texture. You could try that with the ground meat as well, in case that's the issue.

Good luck either way. If nothing else, she seems (from what we can tell here) that she does well on whatever kibble you were feeding her, so there's always that to fall back on :)

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the last attempt I tried a neck first. That didn't work at all. After over a week of throwing away perfectly good meat (at least now I can get Trey to do cleanup), I caved in and gave up.

I haven't tried ground meat yet though to wean her into it. She does great on her kibble... except for her teeth. I have her on Innova EVO RM and the change from when I got her on Dog Chow to that has been well, astounding. She's got a great coat, put on a lot of weight (Which is good), good muscle tone, less tear staining, etc. The only complaint I have is the buildup on her teeth. I wouldn't mind just giving her kibble and then a bone or two a week but she won't touch it.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
You might try giving her a few bites of raw meat in her food bowl and increase the raw part daily, until she seems to actually be liking it. When Pop-It came to live with us last year she had been kibble fed for the previous 8 years. So after a few weeks of getting to know us I put her out on the patio with the other girls for her first raw meal. I took a beef rib, sliced at the meat diagonally until it was basically just hanging on the bone. She started ripping the meat off the bone at that point. The paps can't really do much with a beef rib. But once she got the hang of ripping meat we just moved to chicken wings, chicken necks, chicken legs. Since all of our dogs are small, and the two paps came to us missing many teeth, besides the chicken I give them boneless muscle meats and compensate the calcium with finely ground eggshells...1/2 tsp to one pound of meat. Even missing many teeth they are still pretty interesting to watch when they are ripping up a chunk of boneless meat...don't get in my way!!!

First raw meal...

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Have you had her watch trey eat? With Allie I had to feed Lloyd his turkey neck in front of her, then let him sniff around hers before she decided "Hey I want that!". (my guys don't eat all raw, they get it once a week or so).

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I would just keep trying; our terrier mix is kind of the same way...if I put her in her crate with it, though, she will eat it after a while. My Poodle pup loves raw; he had one 'skeptical moment' and that was the very first time I offered him some raw chix skin! I don't have them on 'full raw' either, they get it once a week, mainly for their teeth. I'd really like to feed atleast 1\2 raw, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts