Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that no advice can be more important than a Vet's... I just want to get a feel for what I am looking at and if a vet trip is warranted.

I have a 6 month old Wheaten Terrier. He is by no means show quality and has a lot of disqualifying flaws. He has bilateral chriptorchidism, no neck, small head and has always been barrell chested. He loves to eat and will overeat if allowed to. The reason I am saying all of this is because I cannot distinguish fat from genetics.

He is high energy and the chestyness does not seem to bother him.
He's been like this for about 2 months
He has a lot of gas (stinky gas)
He eats Lamb & Rice formula food
His bowels are fine
He has been treated for worms
He does not vomit
He is an excessive drinker - but has always been this way
He is limited to 2 cups of food a day

He's so porky in that region he can't get up on the couch sometimes... and it's hard but never hurts him to touch, is not discolored or warm.

Just to give an idea of his size... he's already 40lbs...
He is a puppy mill rescue on a side note so I know little of his breeding.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Does he chew up stuff, like toys, bedding? Any chance he could have ingested some, but not enough to cause a total impaction?

Have you tried changing his food to a grain free alternative protein food (with fish, bison or venison)?

Try giving him a couple of tablespoons of yogurt, or a probiotic for a few days to see if it helps the gas and distention.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will do that. He is ALWAYS chewing stuff up... the other day he pooped out a 6" bendy/rubber spider. I am thinking if that sucker made it's way out... then anything in it's way must have too. I am hoping it is just gas. He doesn't seem to have a problem with food. I know Wheatens are known for their allergies but his only symptom is the stomach. I can try grain free and see if that works too! I figured Lamb & Rice was gentler than beef...etc.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Two cups is a LOT for a Wheaten. It does sound like he has a weight issue. Not sure what the weight range is for the breed, but I would guess 30-35 lbs. Do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 cups is pretty standard for an adolescent Wheaten. Males are about 35-45... They're generally full grown at 9 months... So by the book he sounds ok but he sure is barrelly... Which is not characteristic.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
So he has always had a hard, distended abdomen? If not how long has it been distended? So does your list refer to his normwl behaviour or how he's been since his abdomen has become hard and distended? Since he has a history of eating foreign objects, I would strongly suggest an emergency visit to the vet. A foreign object.might be stuck and twisted and could cause necrosis of tissue. I don't want to scare you but I would get him to a vet now. I hope it's nothing and you will have just lost sleep!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
So he has always had a hard, distended abdomen? If not how long has it been distended? So does your list refer to his normwl behaviour or how he's been since his abdomen has become hard and distended? Since he has a history of eating foreign objects, I would strongly suggest an emergency visit to the vet. A foreign object.might be stuck and twisted and could cause necrosis of tissue. I don't want to scare you but I would get him to a vet now. I hope it's nothing and you will have just lost sleep!
I agree with flipgirl. You do not want to wait if your dog has a history of eating foreign objects. The sooner you catch it the better. Vet can palpate and do a rad. Good luck to you and let us know who your dog is doing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He has always been like this it has just been more prominent the last 2 months when he hit a big growth spurt. I googled every disorder wheatens and dogs can have... protein wasting, bloat, lodged object... although everything gives a side effect of a distended stomach it also states ... diarrhea, bowel problems, vomiting, lathargic.. and he's nothing like that. It's kind of like when you see an overweight lab or a beagle... but wheatens aren't supposed to barrel... it's not in their rib composition. I know it sounds crazy but I have been googling fat wheaten pics for days... I absolutely cannot find one!! He could very well be overweight... I just don't think I've ever owned an overweight puppy. My other dog being a Dane... I think it's almost physically impossible to create a fat Dane - they eat a lot to maintain and they just choose not to eat more. I did some research on cup sizes and he's near the time when he could be cut back... but barrel chested at 4 months on 2 cups a day? Kinda weird... I appreciate all of the imput... I know you are all like bring him to the vet already... it's just right before Christmas and everyone knows what that's like. :)

Here's a pic anyways :) It's hard to tell because he's so furry...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even when we first got him he seemed to have a ball shaped abdominal cavity...

@ 3 months (the day we picked him up)

@ 3 months hair shaved

Here he is at 5 months... but it's hard to tell because his hair is growing in... I never actually take pics of his belly so I don't have good ones. :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Even though he's been treated for worms, he might need more. Roundworm causes the.distended belly. So maybe bring a stool sample to your vet to get analyzed. If you tap his belly, what does it sound like?

If it were me, I would take him for an xray.and some Bloodwork. It could be a number of things. You say he is active....does he have stamina or does he lose steam quickly? It could be a malabsorption thing, a liver issue, or just worms. Since he's not vomiting and still eating maybe it isn't a.blockage but I would still do an xray to be sure.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Even though he's been treated for worms, he might need more. Roundworm causes the.distended belly. So maybe bring a stool sample to your vet to get analyzed. If you tap his belly, what does it sound like?

If it were me, I would take him for an xray.and some Bloodwork. It could be a number of things. You say he is active....does he have stamina or does he lose steam quickly? It could be a malabsorption thing, a liver issue, or just worms. Since he's not vomiting and still eating maybe it isn't a.blockage but I would still do an xray to be sure.
Not only this but he is rather rolly polly! I do like to see a bit of pudge on most pups but he is carrying to much fat.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL the vet said the same thing... I have a friend I went to visit and he saw him and said "he's too fat".... Puppy diet for this big nugget. I will bring him in for some work anyways, it doesn't hurt but at least I feel more comfortable waiting a few weeks. Thanks for all of the responses!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts