Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am pretty new to this. I have a 16 week old Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier that we got at 8 weeks. He is progressing very well and is a very smart dog. Potty training is going great! very minimal accidents these days, he knows to go to the door, etc. He will do wonderful at night. Won't get up until I do, can stay in the crate 9-10 hours overnight if I'm sleeping.

The problem is, separation anxiety..or what I believe to be separation anxiety. When I leave for work he is constant crying. If I put him in his crate and go into another room he is crying! We have a dog walker for when I'm at work. She comes every four hours right now. About every 2-3 times, he will pee in his crate. He keeps doing this and I would think he would learn by now. yes, the crate has a divider so it's small enough, he has toys, treats, etc. He will not pee any other time, except for when I'm gone.

I really need help on how to stop this!! It's killing me. My fiance is working away right now, so he's only home on the weekends. He won't usually pee if we're gone for 3 or so hours..but it seems like when it's more than that about every 2-3 times he is going, laying in it, etc. Nothing plush in the crate. no bed. nothing. I was wondering if it is same to use those calming tablets dogs? I didn't know if puppies were ok to take them? Also, I work a lot of night shifts right now and I didn't know if they would be a good thing to try for when I'm trying to sleep during the day when I get home since he usually doesn't want to be sleeping again when I am in the day. I wanted to try here first before consulting my vet about this and having to make another appointment. PLEASE! if anyone can help at all!! It would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I'm sorry, this must be frustrating!
A couple things you can try:

- conditioning to be alone. Basically, this is building up his tolerance for being alone. Put him in his crate with something yummy, like a frozen, stuffed kong. Shut the door for 30 seconds, then let him out, no fuss. Do this as often as you can, so it becomes normal. After a few days, increase the time to 1 minute. After a few days increase again to 2-3 minutes. Do this as often as you can throughout the day.
[Of course, when you need to, like when you work, and when you have to do things around the house, you can still crate him for longer. This is just in addition to that, so you can help him learn to tolerate it.]

- cover his crate. It may help him relax.
- put an unwashed piece of your clothing in the crate, it can help comfort him.

When you put him in the crate do you give him anything to do? Toys, chews, kongs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the tips! Yes, we put multiples toys in there for him..I tried a kong toy, and he loves it outside the crate, for a while, then gets bored. It seems like when we're home and he's in the crate he doesn't really play with his toys in there, just lays around or sleeps. I'm going to try the kong for just inside the crate and freeze it and see how he does. Thank you very much! I will try this method of conditioning!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Our Wheaten is 11 months old and she and I'm home she doesn't have it as far as we know. When my wife leaves the house though and I'm home she wil put her paws on the bay window and watch her leave, whine a little and she is good to go. She does have toys in her crate that keep her busy for a while but we don't have doggie blanket in there because, you know, it will get chewed up. As far as peeing, Sweet Pea has now started dancing around, sniffing and such that we know to say no, get the lease and out the door we go. There are still some accidents but overall it's going well. My wife leaves for work at 7:30am, I get home around 3pm, so she's in the crate about 7 1/2 hours. She's happy to see me, we go out she pees, maybe a poop. I was told that for every month alive, it's an hour in the crate, so 4 months = 4 hours? Not to sure about that because we have gone over that with no problems. We did put a old robe my wife had in her crate, it's still in there, rags pretty much but she doesn't mind. I'm not sure if this helped or not, just how we did it with our Wheaten. Good luck, most of all, it will get better. We're looking for another one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have an 8-month old wheatie :)

I found that in the early months, the longest he could hold for was around 2-3 hours while awake. If he was sleeping then he could hold it way longer. Around 6 months he could hold it for up to 5 hours.
At the time he was also terrible at holding his poop, so you can imagine the mess we'd come home to after 4 hours! We left pee pads in there so that he wouldn't be swimming in it -- but be warned, they might get chewed up!

Nowadays he's fine to hold it in his crate for a LONG time even when he's awake.

The breeder I got my puppy from already got them used to the crate at an early age so we didn't have too much trouble, but now we have also taught him to "go crate", and when he does it really well we give him a treat. We also leave a toy in there (that's safe to chew) so he doesn't get too bored. Try giving him treats so that the crate will be a positive thing!

Even now Cody (my puppy) will bark if he's in the crate and my mom and I are chatting in another room. Wheaties are really social, so I think he just wants to get some attention :p We shush him and ignore him, and when he's silent we let him out again.

Hope everything works out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts