Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frodo - His owner was an old lady who died no one knew he was alone in her house for a week because he hid when the people got the lady.

Charlie - Just a shelter dog someone didn't want any more

Samantha - she lived in a small rabbit cage in her poop and pee with three other dogs

Brainard - almost like a TOY for three high schoolers who would repedently throw him into a pond and force him to swim for hours. Someone from the passing by high way and contacted the *animal cops*

What happend to you dogs? Did the dog shelter tell you>?

·
Registered
35 Posts
wow ppl never surprise me... as a shelter, I get the stories first hand...

shepherd pup at 8 weeks had his face sliced open,nose hanging off, bc he was "biting" their kids,

coon hound had a collar twisted so tight with a stick so she couldnt put her head down to eat or drink, under weight by about 25lbs

aussie came in with over 300 ticks- I quit countin!

I could go on forever... ones that stand out-- a curr hound that at the age of 6 weeks had been attacked and her leg was hanging off--

the worst rescue ever- a shepherd/chowx mama and her pups dumped out in the country in the middle of our Texas summer at 6 weeks- making it worse, they had the pups in a wire cage and maggots were eating the pups and the mamas crys is was helped get attention to them-- I saved every single one! One lost and eye, but overall they were all placed in great homes!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow ppl never surprise me... as a shelter, I get the stories first hand...

shepherd pup at 8 weeks had his face sliced open,nose hanging off, bc he was "biting" their kids,

coon hound had a collar twisted so tight with a stick so she couldnt put her head down to eat or drink, under weight by about 25lbs

aussie came in with over 300 ticks- I quit countin!

I could go on forever... ones that stand out-- a curr hound that at the age of 6 weeks had been attacked and her leg was hanging off--

the worst rescue ever- a shepherd/chowx mama and her pups dumped out in the country in the middle of our Texas summer at 6 weeks- making it worse, they had the pups in a wire cage and maggots were eating the pups and the mamas crys is was helped get attention to them-- I saved every single one! One lost and eye, but overall they were all placed in great homes!!
WOW! That is terrible. The four dogs I adopted where all on the same day because the shelter had to put them down. They all had problems that I am struggling to solve.... I quickly said "How much?"

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
This is a doozy, because all my dogs came from sadness.

Smalls: Found wandering by herself at about 5 weeks old. Went into an animal control with less than capable people who fed her crappy generic adult dog food when she was that young and so emaciated. Caused a prolapsed rectum, which she hung out with for a few days until I got her, and she narrowly survived surgery.
Jack McCoy: Pulled from a kill shelter in Indiana to a shelter here in Michigan. Hung out at the shelter for 8 months until we adopted him. Found a lot of old trauma and healed fractures that were never cared for. Based on that and his behavior, someone beat the crap out of him for a long time. When we scanned him for a chip and he had an owner on it, we could have died. Until they contacted the owners and they said "We got rid of him for a reason."
Jonas: Reject breeding dog. Pulled from a kill shelter in Indiana by the same shelter we got Jack from. The listed reasons his owners gave for his surrender were that his puppies were not selling and he wasn't a good show dog, despite the fact it was looked up that he was never entered into any shows. He acts like a dog who never had any human contact in his life.

·
Registered
35 Posts
WOW! That is terrible. The four dogs I adopted where all on the same day because the shelter had to put them down. They all had problems that I am struggling to solve.... I quickly said "How much?"
I know its really sad- even as a shelter I have "adopted" dogs to get them help, I go through this daily-

what issues are you dealing with your rescue babies?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Toby was at a high-kill city shelter for 6 weeks! He was a staff favorite, so they "overlooked" him at euth time for a while. The AC officer told me he used to run away a lot and his owners didn't want to bail him out any more. He was intact and probably out looking for love. From his behavior, I guessed that he was probably kept tied when not out running loose. I don't think he was allowed indoors. He did housetrain quickly, though.

Penny wasn't from a shelter, but almost ended up at one. My mom found her running loose in the country and picked her up (my mom is a rural mail carrier). None of the neighbors knew where she belonged, so she must have been dumped. Rural people know all of their neighbor's dogs. And when we took her to the vet, he said another family had brought in a male pup that looked just like her, found in the same area. She had urine burn on her paw pads and had very long nails, so probably was kept crated in her own waste. When my mom said she was a Husky, I told her I didn't want a Husky and we should just take her to the shelter. But I fell in love when I saw her! And I probably would have even if she was pure Husky.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a a lady stop by our shelter with a boxer, she demanded I help her bc she deserved it!! the boxer had a severe prolasped rectum!! She said the dog was sooo sweet,( running a HIGH fever) bc she kept putting her head on her leg... her son's friend took it to her like that- this poor dog was like this for days!! She wanted me to "fix" the problem- not spay her though... she could sale the pups... then she wanted to get it back to she could tie it up in front of her house to scare ppl away!! yeah!!

needless to say - she didnt get the dog back!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
We got Bayne from the local shelter. He was found wandering the streets of the city that I live in with a collar on and tags. They found out that he was from a small town about 7 or so hours away. He had somehow managed to make it all the way up here. He was a little underweight but not bad. No obvious abuse. They contacted his owners who drove all the way up here, just to say that they didn't want him after seeing him.

By the time I saw Bayne, he had been at the shelter for a month. I knew as soon as I saw him that I was gonna take him home. I called my hubby and asked him to come home early from work so he could meet him as well. When he got home, we took our kids down to the shelter to see him. My hubby agreed that we needed to bring him home. But we weren't allowed... Bayne had a limp in his one rear leg and they weren't gonna adopt him out till after the vet had checked him. The next day we got the call saying that if we still wanted him, we could have him. They said he may have early HD but that further tests were required. I booked him into my vet the next day. No HD! But I got a call while I was there that they had a parvo outbreak and that all of the dogs had to be put down. Bayne was ok though! If I had been unable to adopt him that day, he would have been put down and I would have lost my heart dog!!

Baylee wasn't from a shelter but she was a rescue. We got her when she was 12 weeks old. The lady that had rescued her had found out that this litter of pups were being drowned. When she had gotten there, there were only 3 puppies left. Baylee and 2 of her brothers.... We took Baylee :)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Johnnie - I got her at 12 wks old. The story I was told that a previous owners had a beagle they didn't know she was pregnant and returned the mother dog to a kill shelter, and luckily the no kill shelter here in my area has rescued the litter of puppies & the mother. So there that's how I discovered Johnnie at a adoption day at the Hardware Store where it was happening locally

Frankie - Was a sad background, I got him when he was 3 years old he was from puppy mill that's all I know

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Nubs was turned into the shelter because his old owner was in the military and got called to duty. None of his family members were willing to take Nubs in for the 18 months he would be gone so he took him to the best shelter in the county. Nubs was there for 3 months before I adopted him. I had over looked him so many times because I didn't want to deal with the issues that Pit Bulls had and he just looked "mean" (that "mean" look is actually his "Will you love on me please???" look). They talked me into visiting with him outside of his kennel and in a different environment. Fell in love then and there.

Never judge a book by it's cover ;)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know its really sad- even as a shelter I have "adopted" dogs to get them help, I go through this daily-

what issues are you dealing with your rescue babies?
One dog picks fights with the other dogs but only when I am watching and another dog has a food agression and another pees when you look,speak, or touch her..... :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sadie is a GShep/Sheltie/Chow (?) mix. She was found on the side of a street after being hit by a car. She had a broken hip and leg. A foster agency paid for her surgeries and had her at an adoption fair where I work. The poor girl was lying on the floor (obviously doped up) the whole time with a big shaven leg and a bandage wrapped around. Everyone ignored her and adopted the 'cuter' puppies instead. I fell in love. I meant for her to live with my brother in MN, but she ended up with us and we adore her.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I wish I knew her story. She was picked up downstate as a stray, and deposited at a kill shelter; a local rescue picked her up, and sent her to a foster home. I found her on petfinder, and now she's with me.

She was obviously somebody's pet; when I got her, she already knew 'sit', 'down', and 'come'. She was already house and crate trained, she adores children, and gets along great with other dogs. Everyone she meets falls in love with her right away. Somewhere, somebody still misses her.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My boyfriend's dog came from an all breed rescue. They're really not sure what she is- I think maybe some pit, some lab, and something smaller. She's only about 30 lbs.

She was bounced around from place to place to place, and by 6 months old was no longer puppy cute and no one wanted her.

Finally, my boyfriend came along and adopted her. That was 6 years ago.

Sometimes we wonder if her fear issues come from being bounced around as a puppy, or whether it's just natural temperment. I know that before I came, he didn't know what "socialization" was and so we have a long way to go before this poochie girl can have a more normal life.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well... all but two of our dogs were rescues...

Mom's house dogs:
Max- Just was picked up on the side of the road
Jackie- Came from a litter up in the mountains, where the mom was just bred and they didnt know what to do with the puppies
Mia- Im not sure what her story was, but she ended up at a vet friend of ours, and my mom took her to foster, and she never left. She's going to college with my sister in a few years, which great, because shes very protective of my sister.
Louie (available for adoption) is a rottie/chow mix who was chained with his mom. Total sweetheart!
Sundae was found with her puppies, and was scheduled to be put down, but my mom drove up and got her.

My dogs:
Charlee was just picked up as well. We originally thought that she was the product of the last hunting season, but then figured out that she isnt purebred, so we dont know.
Trout, as mentioned before, we got from a friend who couldnt keep up with him and all her other dogs, and she thought he would be perfect for charlee to buddy with.

Dixie and Winston were purebreds- my parents went all the way to get Dixie from Canada!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I took a bag of food to the shelter to donate it. While I was there, I asked if I could look at the puppies. That's where I met Cara and Mia. I knew I wanted Mia, but I couldn't leave Cara there, so I took them both.

They were 2 of a littler of 8 that had been abandoned in a cardboard box by the side of a country road. Four of the pups were put down. Two others were adopted out singly. The last 2 went home with me. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow...i'm always impressed by the "touch your heart" type of stories.

Stardust is my first dog, so I don't have a lot of dog stories. Regardless - I adopted her at a shelter the day that they put her up for adoption. If I didn't adopt her that day, she would have been adopted easily.

She was found on a road. I suspected that she was abandoned since she warmed up to humans very well, and good on a leash (aside from the first two days, she probably wasn't used to the flexi-leash). So, she had to have an owner previously. She's is not a purebred, so it couldn't have come from a breeder or shelter (all shelters requires microchipping before adopting out). Maybe unwanted litter, but then why 4 months?

I have one cat, 10 years old now, was abused by children. The children were playing too rough on her. Mocha still has the psychologial scars. She's a little wary about little children. She's also a Torti (they're known as bitches).

Hobbes - 5 years old - was abandoned by his mother. He was fostered and I adopted him from the hospital that I worked at.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I love reading this thread because it makes me so happy that these dogs have gotten a second chance at life!

Ranger - This is a weird one. Some of you may remember a few years back, a woman in Kansas who bred rat terriers killed another woman and stole her baby. Well, obviously the family of the rat terrier breeder was devastated and with everything going on, decided they couldn't keep all their dogs. So they surrendered some of them, including Ranger, to a rat terrier rescue. He ended up being fostered in Texas and we found him on PetFinder. As horrible a crime as that was, she was obviously good to her dogs because he was well socialized when we got him and has been a dream.

Mayzie - A local rescue got a call from an owner saying they wanted to surrender a puppy. When the woman who runs the rescue went to pick up the puppy, they found the mama (Mayzie) tied up outside on the end of a rope with no food, water or shelter. She was underweight and much of her hair had fallen out due to stress and malnutrition. Luckily, the rescuer was able to talk them into surrendering Mayzie, too. Having never lived in a house before and obviously not getting a lot of socialization as a puppy, we're working through some "issues." But she is such a treasure and we are so grateful to have found her.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bless all of you with your stories and good hearts that took a needy dog into your homes. There is a special place in heaven for ya'll.

This makes me want to get a shelter dog as soon as I can, to keep my baby Aussie company!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts