Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cosmo has been pretty great when it comes to his ongoing obedience training, but he still has his "one thing" that we're always working on: recall around other dogs (especially in dog parks)!

He's a party animal to say the least. We've continued our training in a variety of situations to work on his recall - but we find he's especially unreliable in environments that excite him, like dog parks.

Anyone have that "one thing" they're constantly working on?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
For Ozzie it would be continued socialization around people and men especially. His fear of people is something I will have to manage and 'work on' for the rest of our lives together.

I think for Tyler it would be managing his excitability. I will probably have to continue to remind him to 'calm down' until he is too old to get excited.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Hello, prey drive! Kabota tries to chase cats, rabbits, birds, you name it, if it's not human or dog, he's after it. If I can catch him when he first sees the animal, I can usually calm him down, but once he starts trying to run after it, forget it.

No off leash for him, except at the dog park, I suspect forever.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Arlo is still "new" to us, but he is continuing to have some potty issues (mostly peeing). There is a longer period in between each accident though so we're getting there.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I would have put recall on the top of the list except she has surprised us a couple of times when she got out accidentally, so I'll put that as her "other thing" (we'll never stop working on it)

Her major "One Thing" is leash walking, which ties in with her excitement level, so I guess its a two in one..

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Leash reactivity on walks.

Gracie is fine at events, on therapy visits, in classes, etc. But all bets are off on walks.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Leash reactivity for Kimma, too! She and yogachick's Gracie are like the same dog LOL. We also have to keep our recall sharp for agility purposes so that's something we work on regularly (going for faster and faster reactions with more, varied distractions).

For Pentti, I'd say recall.

For Bubbles, getting her confidence up in strange places.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Pulling on leash. Molly is a good loose leash walker for the most part but she does pull on occasion, sometimes for a squirrel, sometimes when we're in a new area, sometimes when we're crossing the street. She doesn't do it all the time but often enough that it annoys me & I'd like to stop it. I've been working with her but I must be doing something wrong. I've tried stopping until she releases the tension, praise & then move on. I've tried going in the opposite direction of the pull. I'm working with her on "with me" at the moment & she's doing okay with that off leash. I'm not sure what else to do. Dr. Dunbar says it's because the dog isn't motivated enough to be with you however, when I drop her leash in a field because she's decided she doesn't want to go the way I want to go, she'll come scurrying after me like she's afraid to let me out of her sight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sydney is terrified of storm drains... I know I know its very embarrassing. We can be walking along nicely as can be an AAAHHHH!!! EVIL STORM DRAIN RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIFE!!!

Chloe is pretty much amazing, but she doesn't seem to like children very much. We're working on it though!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Sydney is terrified of storm drains... I know I know its very embarrassing. We can be walking along nicely as can be an AAAHHHH!!! EVIL STORM DRAIN RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIFE!!!
Kaki was too for the first couple years that I had her. Nowadays, she's capable of giving it a wary eye and continuing our walk/run/bike ride.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Lady: Lay down, even in her old age she will not lay down on command.
Roonie: come while off leash, he runs like crazy if he knows hes free, and wont come back, wont even play the catch me game.
Kodi: Keeping his tongue in his mouth. He licks everything, he has an oral fixation on licking things and its disgusting.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Biscuit's "one thing" is being pee-shy in new locations. Sounds convenient until you want to go hiking for the day. Oddly enough, she is quite fond of peeing on storm drains. Inexplicable.

Actually, it's "two things." She likes to hassle puppies at the dog park, even puppies that don't like to be hassled.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My girl sophie's one thing is trimming her nails. I'm a dog groomer and can't do her. She bites, screams, scratches, and fights you the whole way. I've never had a dog react the way she does.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Other dogs, specifically licking them to death. At our training class there's a beautiful 9 month old dalmatian called Bungle who can be snappy occasionally. This week Alfie got right in his face licking so he grabbed Alfie's head in his mouth (gently), Alfie just kept on licking and started to head down Bungle's throat with it. I've never seen a dog look as confused as Bungle right then :D

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Abbylynn - anxiety when I leave to go away. ( She demolished the wall and the insulation this Sunday when I was grocery shopping ... in her SAFE room )

The two little ones ... anxiety when I come home as they are getting too old to act like I have been gone for 100 years! ... and their darn barking, as it goes along with the anxiety thing while they are jumping up and down whining and gasping for air! :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Clyde dislikes men. He will run up to them with his little nub wagging and as soon as they bend down to pet him, he will snarl and growl. I guess he is just luring them in. We have to warn all men to not be fooled by the grey thing.

Wally has a major issue with night barking. He never barks much during the day, but at night he comes alive. Our back fence is against some woods and I have to literally go pull him off the fence. During the day he is great with recall, but all bets are off starting at dusk.

·
Registered
574 Posts
counter surfing. Trixie is a coonhound and that nose and food guides her life.

I literally put about 6 cheerios in a bird feeder outside 8ft off the ground w/o the dog around. Later that day i was wondering why she was howling at the bird feeder.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Brody needs to be kept around people to keep him from returning to "I hate people" mode. He has cranky days and sometimes I don't know what to do about it or if it will ever get better. Then the next day he's the most social dog on the planet! He occasionally needs a reminder on leash manners when in the presence of other dogs.

Charlotte will always need to be reminded not to jump on people. She's a bouncy little thing.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Recall is such an important thing that I can't really say that we're not always working on it, but the thing that frustrates me the most is Buffy jumping on people. I always ask people not to pet her when she jumps, but a lot of times it's too late, and her jumping is only getting worse.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts