Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not find a similar problem here so another pee thread sorry about that.

My puppy is 11 month old. Suddenly he starts peeing around the house as he pleases.
I notice suspicious peeing noises and have caught him peeing in his drinking bowl, in his bed, next to the open front door and some less dramatic places.

I express my displeasure with harsh words and from his reaction: ears flat to the head, submissive posture it seems that he gets it. also he seems to be quite intelligent I taught him some basic commands and he catches on quick.

Just now I caught him peeing in his sleeping box I took a more drastic measure and sent him out in the yard with harsh words and closed the door behind him.
He never gets physical punishment.

I can't understand why does he do it.
He gets lots of love and attention.
I am always home.
We go for long walks.
The door to the garden is always open.

Maybe something physically wrong with him?
I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
first is to rule out medical condition .. so a vet visit ....

And start back on a frequent potty schedule on lead , crating and or restricting to an area in the house.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Stop using harsh words you are scaring him and making things much worse. Take him to the vet. Urinary tract infections often cause this problem. If it has started all of a sudden it's much more likely that he's sick than he's forgotten house training.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Dirtbag teenager ;).

(Of course still rule out a health problem. But if he sniffs and marks a tiny bit, like normal marking, I'm not inclined to think it's a health issue)

My boy was doing that for a while. Just keep on letting him out a lot, interrupt when you see him pee and rush him outside. Clean the spots well with vinegar or enzyme cleaner. Use a belly band if you can't tolerate cleaning up pee. He should outgrow the dirtbag teenager stage soon, and will get the point then.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dirtbag teenager, that's cute.
Thanks for the thought.
he doesn't sniff and mark he just stands there in the middle of his basket and lets it flow. That's what so weird because I learned they don't pee where they sleep. Or he lifts his leg inside the house as if he has a mental problem.
The door is always open, he can go out whenever he wants.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Ah, sometimes dogs don't quite understand housetraining if the door is always open. Inside is the same as outside, right? You have to go out with him for awhile so you can praise him when he pees outside.

Letting it flow in his bed may be indicative of a health problem. Lifting his leg is a house training problem. He just isn't understanding the difference between inside and outside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah insight and out is the same to him that makes sense. Thanks for the pointer. Sometimes the answer is too obvious to see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts