Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:wave:. My names Zach Im 14, freshman in highschool at the number 4 school in the country Stanton College Prep. Im in the international bachelorette program and have 1 dog a welsh corgi cardigan(Wilbur) and a turtle. Wilbur is 5yrs old and weighs about 45 lbs. Hes not overweight and the vet says he is in goodshape but his dad was a monster for a corgi lol, almost 50 lbs. Wilbur is the perfect dog, well behaved, protective, smart. He went to obedience training and can wait(when I throw the ball) sit, laydown, and stay. he knows drop it when he picks up nasty things and it as fast as usain bolt.He gets about 15 mins of fetch, and a mile walk everyday. Hes a couch potato at home though:wink: Hes awesome, but getting a little lonely nowdays. Im looking for a new(female dog) for him. No, I am not trying to be a backyard breeder he is neutered and the female would be spayed. Im looking for a large dog or xl or xll. No spefic reason but Ive spent time with neighborhood dogs and wilbur, and me get along with bigger female dogs really well. Wilbur is well socialized but he gets along with a large female boxer the best. So Im looking for a large dog(lab to great dane we have a 1acre plus in just our backyard) that is protective, I do not mind barking Wilbur lets me know anytime someone is close and it is comforting, short coat with minimal shedding, drooling doesnt bother me, not a high energy dog, a dog that will enjoy a walk and game of fetch but doesnt run around the house with unspent energy and will lay down and watch tv. Ive looked at great danes but came to this forum because I love forums and its a great place for advice. So again, large, protective, short coat with hopefully minimal grooming, smart, and a easily or somewhat easily trained dog. Im attaching some pics of wilbur and btw this is my second dog. Also anybody here have tegus? Im hoping to get one next breeding season(summer). Thanks, Zach

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Welcome Zach! Wilbur's a great looking dog :) This is a good place here, with a lot of well-informed people that I'm sure will be able to offer some good breed suggestions. I only really know labs, and they dont fit your criteria. The low-shedding part. I have to vacume everyday, including the inside of my refrigerator ;)

Teri

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Welcome!

Wilbur looks funny in that second pic. Is his fur clipped? Or was it just an awkward stage?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Is your backyard fenced? There are some dogs that might be suggested, but tend to stray without a fenced yard... Wilbur is adorable

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is your backyard fenced? There are some dogs that might be suggested, but tend to stray without a fenced yard... Wilbur is adorable
My yard is fenced. Big Tall fence. and we trim him in the summer to keep him cool. Ill take a pic this winter of him grown out. So breed reccomendations? And btw I dont mind a dog that sheds it just needs to be shorter coated dog

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hi all:wave:. My names Zach Im 14, freshman in highschool at the number 4 school in the country Stanton College Prep. Im in the international bachelorette program
I'm going to assume you mean the International Baccalaureate Program? LOL!

Cute dog. I have a soft spot for corgis. A friend has a couple and they are great little dogs!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Look into retired racing greyhounds. They can keep up with you being athletic, playing frisbee, hiking, yet are couch potatos when at home.

·
Registered
529 Posts
ZachAttackAndWilbur said:
Im looking for a new(female dog) for him.
NOT a good reason to get another dog. Don't get another dog for your dog because your dog may not even like the new dog you bring home. Get another dog because you want another dog.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Also anybody here have tegus? Im hoping to get one next breeding season(summer). Thanks, Zach
I have a Columbian black and white Tegu :) If you want a tegu I'd recommend an Argentine, though. They are much more tameable than a Columbian. I got lucky with mine not being aggressive. He has a heck of a feeding response though. He will leap for your hand if you stick it in his tank until he takes a moment and realizes its not food. Then absolute best person to get an Argentine tegu from is Bobby Hill at Varnyard Herps: http://www.varnyard-herps-inc.com/

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive looked into hounds. They are great dogs as my mom friend has a pack of 6 all retired and GREAT DOGS. Also Ya just cus Im in Ib dont expect me to spell it lol. And I want another dog for multiple reasons, but one of them is for wilbur. Daenerys Ive talked to Bobby quite a bit and was already planning on a argentianian, Ive looked extensively into it as tegu is a big responsibilty. Lastly, everyone think that a retired grey would be the best bet? Ive also looked at Danes, mastiffs, boxers, rhodesian ridgebacks and a couple others. Also got to ask but Daenerys have you ever read the book Game of Thrones? Just asking. So anyways I still want input and then Ill look into reccomended breeds on my own, contact breeders etc so more input! And Ya

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Daenerys Ive talked to Bobby quite a bit and was already planning on a argentianian, Ive looked extensively into it as tegu is a big responsibilty. Also got to ask but Daenerys have you ever read the book Game of Thrones? Just asking.
Good, good! Bobby should be able to help you with anything you need to know about tegus and probably quite a bit you don't need to know a well, hahah. And of course I have! :p

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That how you got your name? lol Im just wrapping up the first one. Good book. Also how are you housing your columbian? and what do you plan to do if its not an adult, lemme rephrase that, if its not in its adult enclosure yet, what do you plan to house it in? tHANKS, also you got any reccomended breeds?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Zach,
Wilbur is one of the cutest puppies that I have ever seen! Such big eyes :)
When I was 10 my father bought us an old fashioned scotch collie, which is kind of like a rough collie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_Collie). Our collie was really playful and energetic when we were outside, but a bit of a coach potato inside. Basically, he wanted to be around us and to do what we were doing. As long as he could do that he was happy. He was an absolutely amazing dog, very protective without being aggressive, playful without being hyper, and extremely intelligent, sensitive, loving and loyal. I doubt I will ever have another dog as amazing as he was. A rough collie isn't quite the same as his "breed", but they have a lot in common. If there are any rough collie breeders in your area, I would definitely check them out! There is also a smooth coat variety with short hair, since you are interested in shorter hair dogs.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
That how you got your name? lol Im just wrapping up the first one. Good book. Also how are you housing your columbian? and what do you plan to do if its not an adult, lemme rephrase that, if its not in its adult enclosure yet, what do you plan to house it in? tHANKS, also you got any reccomended breeds?
I'm not good at matching breeds to people so I don't have any recommendations for you, sorry.

As for my tegu, he is in a 125 gallon tank and he should be able to stay in there all his life. An Argentine would need a bigger enclosure though, at least 4x6 ft of floor space.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wilbur is SO cute! Awe! I also recommend retired greyhounds, someday, I will have one, or two, or three, LOL. I love them!

Good luck deciding!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts