Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a room where the animals would often urinate on the carpet. I finally was able to remove all the carpet and padding to replace it. When the carpet was gone I cleaned the bare wood floor really well and put two coats of Kilz down. I then put down more carpet but the dogs still urinate on the new carpet.

I have one male dog and a female dog, I also have one male cat and a female cat.

I though that after getting rid of the old carpet the dogs would no longer urinate in the room.

Was there something I missed? I just don't understand why they would continue and I also don't know how to stop it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

RIKIL

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Were they ever properly housebroken to begin with? They have to be trained not to see the house as a bathroom, it doesn't come naturally.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Yep, training is the key.

Also, when you clean up the carpet you need to be using an enzyme cleaner (such as Natures Miracle). Otherwise particles of the smell remain and the dogs are then encouraged to remark the same areas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Were they ever properly housebroken to begin with? They have to be trained not to see the house as a bathroom, it doesn't come naturally.
Yeah, the dogs have been here for years (so have the cats) and this is just an occasional thing. The dogs have a huge back yard with all the access they want to it and the cats have more than enough litter boxes. They are all housebroken.

Strange thing is, there are other rooms where the carpet needs to be replaced. The previous owners of this house had a pet that would urinate in a few rooms. I can see it with the black light. My animals urine doens't show in the black light, not sure why.

Anyway, my animals only urinate in this one room and I can't figure it out.

RIKIL

Does this stuff work? http://www.getseriousproducts.com/ This is what I have and I am more than willing to use my carpet cleaning machine to clean the carpet. If this stuff doesn't work then I will get what is recommended.

Where is the best place to shop for the products that work? We have PetsMart here and the other stores like Target, wal mart, etc.

RIKIL

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I would do the following:

1. Since you don't know which dog (could be both) is doing it I would have both checked by the vet just on the off chance that there might be a medical condition such as a UTI or kidney infection (there are not always symptoms) contributing to the problem.

2. I would put both through a housebreaking review, treating them like puppies in that no unsupervised house freedom house freedom allowed until re-earned.

3. I would shut off access to the problem room until I had it throughly, professionally cleaned letting the cleaners know that animal urine is involved.

It's possible that the urine has pnetrated into the sub-flooring itself, in which case no matter how often or thoroughly you clean the carpet the scent will still be there. So you might have to consider having all the flooring replaced. If that happens, I think I'd replace with tile or something easy to keep clean.

You can get Nature's Miracle at any PetsMart or even at Wal-Mart if you want to try and clean the carpet yourself first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got some Nature's Miracle to clean the carpet and I also have some Nature's Miracle spray which is supposed to keep the animals from going in the room. I've also put up a baby gate to the room to keep the dogs out.

We will see how this all turns out.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Are the males altered? Could be a big marking match. My Dachshund wasn't neutered when we got him, and he picked out a chair and our Elkhound's bed to pee on. He'd also follow our Elkhound around the yard and pee on any area he peed on immediately after. After we had him neutered this behavior stopped. On top of rigorous potty training he desperately needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts