Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

What's the protocol for visiting more than one vet practice?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  mcdavis 
#1 ·
Over the years we've used a number of different vets because we've moved around - in some places we always saw the same vet, in others it was a different vet every time.
We were fortunate that vet visits weren't very frequent, however now that Hamish is older and we're in the process of diagnosing his liver issues I'm starting to think about the possibility of short notice visits.

I am reasonably happy with one vet that he sees at the current practice, but she doesn't work all of the time and I would not want him to see the other two vets there (one is very inexperienced whilst the other is very offhand / rude).

Another vet practice has opened up closer to home and I am thinking of at least registering him there so that I have an alternative if our current vet is on vacation, and also if I think a second opinion is required.

So sorry to be so long winded, but what I'm looking for is your thoughts on whether or not I need to tell either of the vets of my plans

#2 ·
No, you don't need to. . .but if you want them to coordinate his treatment it may be a good idea.

#3 ·
Every vet I use has knowledge/records of the things the other one has done.... makes it easier
For them to know what has been or still needs to be done.

#4 ·
Same with my vet and the ER Vet/Surgeon I took Leeo to ... turns out I had to take Blu Boy to the same ER for the kennel cough he got from Lucy and they now also have his records. I like having everyone on the same page just in case of an emergency. :) I also like the idea that an ER Vet Hospital is there to assist in the things my regular Vet cannot.

#5 ·
Sorry to be a bit stupid here, but is there a way of vets sharing records (we're currently in Canada)? If so is it just a case of me giving the new vet authorisation to request the records? I have asked for hard copies of Hamish's recent blood tests as I want to have them to hand if we're ever out of the area but they have said the vet needs to approve their release.

#6 ·
When I went to the ER ... I took all my receipts and my dog(s) health records with me. The ER then conversed with my regular Vet via telephone. I am not sure about the files. I was told by a social worker that you are allowed to request your dogs medical records just as you would your own?

I was going to request Leeo's medical files for future use because of the circumstances regarding the 2x misdiagnosis ... but was too upset and didn't.

Being you are in Canada ... I haven't a clue. :(

#7 ·
I do have a card showing all of his vaccinations which includes the labels, but haven't thought to request his medical files from previous vets as most of the treatments were for one offs (injured paw, teeth, etc.), however as the liver problems can affect so many other things I thought it would be helpful to have details of the blood tests in case an emergency vet was unable to contact the current vet. I haven't been in Canada for long so don't know what they story is - should find out on Monday!

#8 ·
I have three vets. One KS a very local one who we see for routine things. We have one we love for any procedures, surgeries, problems etc. Then, we have the holistic vet that we see yearly (required to keep on as clients). I keep all invoices and carry the notebook with them to every appointment.

#9 ·
This morning I spoke to a different member of staff at the vets and she immediately printed the blood test details for me - not sure whether it was because the vet had authorised their release, or just that she didn't think it was needed :confused:
I think I'll go investigate the potential new vet before saying anything to the current one......

#10 ·
I also have switched vets quite a bit, (college, moving home w/ parents, moving out on my own) I have each dogs 'invoice' in filed tabs sorted by dog/year in a binder. When they have blood work done (Pebbles has thyroid blood work done yearly, her SuperChems, ect... I keep an excel sheet and update it with each blood draw, that way (if needed my vet can reference everything quickly) I keep the copies w/ that dog/year. I don't necesarily have my two vets communicate but I do keep all of the paperwork together and bring it with me so they can reference it if needed :)

#11 ·
This ^ ... ^ ... ^ for sure! I know all my dogs medical records are in individual big yellow envelopes. In case of an emergency I know right where they are and can grab them and go! It really could mean a matter of life and death in some situations. Especially an ER Hospital ... they will know what meds to and not to administer. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.