Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second time typing this post, no idea what happened to the first one after I clicked submit :doh:

I have three 2.5 week old border collie puppies that are being fussy about the temperature. Every online sources (my vet as well) advise that room temperature should be kept at 75-80 degrees until puppies are at least 4 weeks old. However, my pups act restless, cry, and spread out even at 74 degrees whether the mother is sleeping with them or not. I had to do some experimenting and found that they fall asleep faster after meals and cuddle or stay sleeping in one place without fidgeting around at 72-73 degrees. Is it normal (or even safe) for such young pups to prefer a cooler environment or should I remove the soft blanket they have for bedding and just raise the temperature back up? One is especially prone to wandering into the stinky potty area in search of a cooler spot and I have to bring him back to the clean side rather frequently (I've started them on the misty method of potty training puppies once they started pee/pooping on their own at exactly 2 weeks old).

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Sounds to me like the puppies immediate surroundings (blankets, other animals, etc.) are significantly warmer than the overall ambient room temp. Personally I'd prioritize keeping the actual pups in their actual environment comfortable over a more general recommendation, especially since it's only a difference of a few degrees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I needed to hear that. They're now 3 weeks old and they seem to be doing great at 71-72 degrees with fluffy blankets. They cuddle with their siblings more instead of spreading far apart from each other and they fall asleep quickly. :whoo:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts