Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought Piggy was bad abut eating money before, with the "penny poop" escapade. But today she took the cake, to the tune of $300. I'll be toothless for a day or two. She chewed up my partial denture! My fault, should have put it in a safer place.

So how much money has you pet chewed up on you? Or maybe something cheap, but totally off the wall?

Gotta love those chewers.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My English Springer Spaniel chewed my husband's glasses. So he found an old pair and Benny managed to get them and chew them too. So my husband had his eyes checked, got a new pair on a Saturday, fell asleep with them on, Benny took them off his face while he was sleeping and chewed them to bits! Then he tore up two seat pillows from our $1000 sofa. I figure he did about $2400 damage that week. We bought a crate and with a little patience and lots of chew toys he's become a really good dog.

·
Super Moderator
11,512 Posts
A friend's Vizsla ate her husband's $1800 hearing aid.

Esther had a taste for winter jackets for a while - probably totalling $800 in replacement costs.

But her best stunt was carrying a quart of motor oil (5W-30 Pennzoil) over to the family room carpet, chewing the top off and draining the whole thing while I was in the shower.

The motor oil was a couple of bucks. The carpet is more like $700.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
My sweet little puppy chewed up a Lazy boy lounge chair. NOT HAPPY when that happened. I loved her anyway. Just crabby for awhile.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I guess the worst thing one of my furkids has done, was kill a $300 vaccum cleaner. I think it is the modern day prey of the Jack Russell Terrier. Other than that, nothing. But I never leave dogs unsupervised anymore. They are in their outdoor kennel runs, crates or if they can be trusted enough to be left in the kitchen with a baby gate. I have a couple I could leave out while I was in the shower. But usually just don't risk it.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Ripley chewed a hole in the carpet in the family room about the size of a tennis ball. The carpet was less than a year old at the time. DH was supposed to be watching the dogs while I was at the vet with one of the cats....no idea how much it will cost to replace, and no plans to do it any time soon.

Previous dogs....my very first dog ever, that I owned with a boyfriend at the time, chewed through a door, baseboards, and ripped up all the linoluem in our bathroom when we attempted to confine him in there while we were away for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Blaze has chewed holes in the carpets (many differnt areas), chewed about 8 or 9 of the stairs railings. Ran through 2 screen doors (he didnt chew them but heck, he did ruin them lol) He chewed the basment walls, where our old dog also chewed up, (maybe the old dog had a plan, and Blaze was taking orders from her from the rainbow bridge) many of my brothers basket/volley/foot/soccer balls, much to his dismay haha. I'm sure there is more. He did chew on my wooden hair brush when he was a baby. I still have the hairbrush and use it everyday (heck it is a great brush, just a little hard to handle splinters from time to time where the teeth marks are)
Many other small things like pens, pencils, paper ect

·
Registered
4 Posts
Max, my GS/Rotti chewed holes in the LR carpet, ate the corners of a couch that he dragged across the room, and chewed up the wooden arm of a chair. Probably a total of about $3000 destroyed. He didn't get left out unsupervised for awhile after that. :eek: :( But now he is a good boy and he and Ginger stay out all day while we are at work with no further incidents. Just had to wait until he outgrew puppyhood....

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
I have two friends who are twins and their two chi's and pomerian chewed up 4 or 6 PSP's cause they left them where they could get to them. Now they finally started putting them out of the dog's reach. :p

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
My Lab ripped up our new linoluem in the mud room not long after we found him. We have never replaced it, we just took it all up and said to "heck with it". Now its just the concrete floor painted some reddish color. *shrugs* I can't think of anything else major that he's destroyed...usually little things like shoes and shirts (most recently). One thing he did do that actually made my jaw drop to the floor was pulling my outside cats cage off the table in the mud room while we had the cat confined pending neutering. My cat was INSIDE the cage at the time. It was an unholy mess...the cats litterbox was in the cage also...I'm sure you can imagine the horror of it. Poor Fred was covered in his own poo...:eek:

Uallis hasn't destroyed anything really so far besides an XBox controller. He's such a good boy! :D

Oh!! Our one cat we had, Hank, did vomit on my boyfriend's stereo several years ago.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think the most expensive thing was the sprinkler system in our yard. Brandy was only around 6 months old and being a young beagle most things were taking her fancy to have a chew on. I couldn't stay mad at her though, she is just way too cute with those big sad eyes.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My parents had a cocker that chewed up my brother's girlfriend's retainer. Couple hundered bucks, but they turned it in under homeowners insurance. Sandy recently swallowed one of a pair of $400 daimond earrings my wife got me for our anniversary. I got it back, but that's another long and disgusting story (and if you've read Marley and me, you pretty much know the story anyway).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I havent had Shadow for two weeks yet. But she has already chewed 3 dog beds, her crate pillow my couch pillows ( my fault i had her crated in my formal living room and my dd left the pillows on the floor).

She seems very taken with my cell phone when i have it out lol its now locked away when im home lol

·
Registered
830 Posts
When I moved out of my dad's house, my dog had to stay behind for a while as I was in another town for a summer grad school internship. FYI, that was always the plan when I got the dog, albeit in retrospect not a very good one as my dad kind of dropped the ball on the walks and exercise requirements. My dad had another dog but it didn't have the energy and separation anxiety my dog had. My dad felt guilty about putting my dog in a crate -even though he was crate trained, and with the Florida rains he couldn't just leave him outside. So he left him and his own dog inside with the back door open. Not a good plan. Then he didn't walk them enough....Destruction ensued.....

We're all better now. Once he got back home with me, he has never had a problem---except the jumping at the back door and chewing on the door jamb....unfortunately, I'm not sure there is much I can do about that other than never leave him outside, which I rarely do anymore anyway.

The moral of the story:
A: Crate training is good!
B: Walk your dogs!

1 pair irreplaceable Chanel Sunglasses - the only pair I've ever owned that I absolutely loved how they looked on me - he did this as a puppy - he went into my bag to pull them out:(

Countless dog beds - he rips them up in his crate. Not so much anymore, but occasioanlly if he thinks we have left when we should be home.

A sofa and love seat
2 speakers
Carpet - but the fault was an older incontinent dog, not his so I let him slide on that. He never messes in house now.
Dentures - my dad sleeps with his and had a cold. We think he must have spit them out in his sleep and the dogs said, "yum, treat!"

From Jumping at back door:
2 screen doors multiple times
chewed up door jamb into house from back yard
jumping at sliding glass door when we leave to create scratches alllll over it.

Luckily, there was a magic switch in his head that said NOOOO Shoes. Good Dog!:)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Lets see when Zoe was a pup she got mad at my dad one time and decided to eat the bottom out of there new porch swing.. hehe like 300 dollars later, Then on top of all the shoes and socks (she still eats socks), and the wires to the computer..

Then one night we decided to go to walmart, I thought Stu would be good considering walmart was only 5 minute away and we would not be gone that long.. Well 20 minutes later we return home and find him eatting the side of the wall. So how I don't know, in the spand of 20 minutes we ate a hole about 4 inches long by 2 inches deep, and we were also in an apartment.
We fixed it ourselves, but I don't even want to know what the apartment people would have charged us.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My pups have acually been pretty good.. I think having 3 of them is good, helps keep them distracted.. That and we have an endless supply of bones+toys throughout the house!

The worst was when our youngest 2 pups chewed through the drywall right to the insulation.. We have a large pen that we keep the dogs in while we are away at work and we forgot to put bones in in the morning.. We didnt fix the hole, just picked up a large sheet of smoothed wood and screwed it into the wall.. HAvent been any problems since

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
So far Carter has chewed though 2 blankets, 1 door frame *sighs*, the coner of his bed, and a part of a carpet that he use to sleep on (thankfully its carpet that was extra so no harm done).

If thats all he ever does, I'll be happy!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I have an Uncle that is a jerk so this had me really laughing! On one of his honey moons they went up a mountain in a ski lift and at the top put 25 cents into the binoculars. When they got a shot from the top of the mountain they watched helplessly while their Springer munched on their dash board. They had to replace the whole dash and when they get back to the bottom the dog was sound asleep in the back seat.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
When I was in high school, my family had an Australian shepherd with a prey drive like no other. He gouged holes in an inside door trying to get to our cat and tore apart a neatly stacked woodpile to get to a rat that was hiding under it. Most famously, he chewed a shepherd-sized hole in the door of an aluminum garden shed. I don't know what little critter was in there that time, because (obviously) we weren't at home.

This same Aussie also had the rather perverse habit of taking underwear out of the dirty clothes and chewing off just the crotch part. This was especially upsetting when we had guests.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.