Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...debarking surgery?

I met a debarked dog. I have to say id prefer a regular dog noise.

I asked her why she got him debarked and she said because he barked when people came to the door...

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
A friend of mine adopted a Yorkie from rescue that the previous owners had debarked, the poor little thing has SOOO many problems from the surgery due to scar tissue. I'd LOVE to get my hands on the person and remove THEIR vocal cords.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I think it's weird. If you don't like barking either don't get a dog or train your dog not to bark.

I also have to say that on one occasion I witnessed a total personality change in a dog who was debarked. I swear it was depressed.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think people that debark a dog are lazy jerks who deserve the same done to them. Humans bred dogs to bark and now some of us are too lazy to train our dogs so we take away a vital part of what a dog is...WTH? :mad: Don't get a dog if you can't handle dog behavior, IMO. Personally, I love that my dog barks to alert me about something around the house. As a single young girl in a city, any help I can get for detecting a possible threat is good.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Well, I won't pretend that my opinion means anything---the people who approve of it won't suddenly change their minds because of me---but I do think it's a reprehensible practice. I've never heard a de-barked dog make noises (the only de-barked dogs I've met were at a puppymill and the silence was eerie), but I've heard it's worse than a bark.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I knew a collie named Lady that had this done to her. I remember the first time she made a noise I looked at my mom and said "What is wrong with Lady mom?" and she told me her friend had her de-barked because all she did was sit in the yard and bark all day. These people had 5 other dogs that ran loose and Lady was kept in a small run because she was aggressive toward their cats. I felt so bad for her. :( Its such a horrible sound

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I think it's weird. If you don't like barking either don't get a dog or train your dog not to bark.

I also have to say that on one occasion I witnessed a total personality change in a dog who was debarked. I swear it was depressed.
I'ld be depressed too if my primary form of communication was taken away from me! :(

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is completely inhumane and poor pet ownership. I can't believe a vet would do this elective surgery. Hello - dogs bark! I like it when my dog barks when a stranger knocks at the door. I came across this poll on my.arfie.com - What is your primary pet-related "hot-button" issue? I have to say all choices are hot topics with me.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Don't ask this on a sheltie board, lol!

Coming from having a breed that is probably the most debarked breed I have mixed opinions.

Shelties bark A LOT and VERY LOUDLY. If you do not like barking dogs, do NOT by any means at all get a sheltie. It is often something you can't train out of them completely. sure, they'll be quiet lying around the house, but many will bark the whole time they do something. (have you ever watched one run agility?) That is my first spiel. If barking bothers you so much, don't get a breed known to bark a lot!

In shelties it is sometimes a routine procedure. Many breeders will just debark their dogs and pups to not have to deal with the barking issue. I think this is WRONG.

However, I have known a few dogs where I think debarking was the kindest option for them. Nothing, no amount of training would stop the incessant barking with these guys. It is not for your typical dog barking. Often if the owner rents it is either debark the dog or surrender the dog. I would much rather see a dog debarked than PTS. If all other options have been exhausted then I see no problem with it. It's when it's a bandaid solution to normal dog barking and lack of training that I don't agree.

If you want to know what a debarked dog sounds like go to the sheltie breed ring and I bet at least a third there will be debarked. They're not silent sounding. It is a quieter bark and sometimes sounds quite raspy to hear. I would personally rather have a normal bark because the debarked dogs are kind of like nails on a chalk board to me, but that's personal opinion.

Overall, though, the dogs I've known who were debarked (and I've known a lot) do not suffer from this procedure IF it is done properly by a vet. A lot of problems you see are from millers and people 'debarking' themselves. It can have horrible consequences. If done properly though it is a lot less invasive than other routine elective surgeries like cropping or spaying. I have never known a sheltie that had ANY adverse effects from debarking. They've all lived long, happy lives and seem very unaware that their bark has quietened at all. They can still communicate though- that's a common misconception is that they cannot make a sound anymore. They can and do, it's just softened.

So yes, there's my complex opinion. Do I agree with it? Not usually. Is it as bad as it's made out to be? No.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm all for it for dogs that are difficult and very, very noisy. And if debarking would keep a dog from being dumped or worse shot, (it happens) then I say go for it.

Contrary to what some well intentioned people think, there are some dogs that you just simply cannot teach to shut up. Some dogs get their kicks from running their mouth, and in breeders like Collies and Shelties, it only takes ONE dog like that to get EVERYONE stirred up.

Does the debarking take away their bark? No. But it does take away that high pitched edge, and I can live with that more than I can a regular bark.

I've gotten dogs done before, and I will again should I ever get in one that I feel needs it. I actually went back in the back with my bitch and the Vet showed me how they did it, it was quick, easy and she recovered fast and I've never seen a debarked dog with problems from it's debark. And all the dogs I've seen that have been debarked never acted differently, they were even happier afterward because they weren't getting in trouble for running their mouth.

Some info interested people can read over. http://www.naiaonline.org/body/articles/archives/debark_qna.htm

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I don't think we're in a position to judge someone who has had their dog debarked, for reasons we may not be aware of. I personally would not do it, but then, I know of people with small breeds who were faced with having to get rid of their dog(s) or get them debarked, because of the complaints of their neighbors. If I had been in that position, well, I may have made the same choice, rather than lose the dog.

My (rescue) male's first owner debarked him. He still barked, but it wasn't loud at all, and sounded sort've raspy. He didn't appear affected by it in the least. He's not a problem barker, so I don't know why it was done. However, after a couple of years, his voice came back - he CAN bark normally now. I've heard horror stories about gagging and retching, and dogs aspirating the vomit.

My neighbor has a Doxie who barks at everything that moves. He barks and shrieks and literally screams when they take him out walking. I have to take a deep breath and maybe go get a glass of wine! LOL (At this rate, I'll end up an alcoholic!:D) I REALLR wouldn't mind if they debarked that dog!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I would never do it to a dog of mine. I can see where having several small yappy dogs it would be a big temptation for a lot of folks though.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I would never do it to a dog of mine. I can see where having several small yappy dogs it would be a big temptation for a lot of folks though.
Okay, why small yappy dogs? I never get this. Yes a lot of small breeds are vocal, but so are a lot of large breeds. You are more likely to see this in collies than any toy breed.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Okay, why small yappy dogs? I never get this. Yes a lot of small breeds are vocal, but so are a lot of large breeds. You are more likely to see this in collies than any toy breed.
I once had my paps referred to as "yapillons". Which really bothered me because I've know larger dogs that bark WAAAY more than my little ones.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would much rather see a dog debarked than PTS. If all other options have been exhausted then I see no problem with it. It's when it's a bandaid solution to normal dog barking and lack of training that I don't agree.
Yes, I agree.
I believe that debarking is a better alternative than having the dog euthanized.

I have owned a sheltie, and we never had her de-barked, but we went to court several times due to a neighbor complaining about her barking...during the day.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Alright, I am NOT ripping on a breed or group of breeds, I am just seriously curious. If Shelties as a breed bark so much isn't their anything breeders can do about that? Breed dogs with quieter voices and less barky dogs. It must be a hereditary trait to some degree if it runs more commonly in certain breeds.

As far as how I feel about debarking? I just don't understand why people get breeds that are known to be barkers and then debark. I have not seen this surgery done so I know nothing about how quickly they recover or how it affects the dogs mentally afterward. If it has to be done for some reason, It would be my hope that people would seek out a vet that is skilled in the procedure, not go for convenience alone.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
interesting.

i was just curious. i can see it being prudent if the situation was such that the dog either had to be debarked or be put in a shelter/put down but wouldnt it the case that it was a last resort when the cops had already become involved kinda thing? i dunno...the particular debarked dog i met i think was a convienience thing and i think that is something that i dont agree with.

sure was awful hearing a hound make that kind of noise......it just was kinda off.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Two of my collies wer debarked before I got them. The bark was not completely silenced in either dog. They just sounded as if they had larengytis. Neither suffered any adverse reaction and both were done by the breeder's vet with the breeder present.

Personally, unless it was a last resort, I would not have had them de-barked or have any dog of mine debarked. But, if I'd done everything possible to train the dog or use medication for a dog that barked due to SA for example, I would have the dog debarked to save it's life. I have to admit that, since the collies' barks didn't set off other dogs and didn't disturb others that I was lax in training them to be quiet, which I would not have been (lax) if they'd had their full voices.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think it's a very cruel thing to do...if you cannot stand the sound of a dog barking, then get a cat...that's my opinion.

Dogs are going to bark, you can train them and work with them so they do not bark ALL the time, but to think when you are getting a dog that it is ALWAYS going to be perfectly quiet and you won't have to work with it at all, that is just insane....

I think people who debark their dogs are just looking for an easy way out of a problem that probably could've been avoided had they worked with their dog in the beginning or done some research on their breed before buying/adopting it.
Why people get a dog that is prone to bark a lot and then complain about it barking a lot is beyond me...

I guess it is a good thing we can't "de-voice" humans with a surgery whenever we got sick of hearing someone...I can just imagine how many voiceless people we'd have walking around...I'd probably be one of them :p

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
It'd take a lot for me to debark a dog, or condone the procedure on another dog. I do agree that a debarked dog is better than a dog that has been put to sleep because of obsessive barking issues or trouble with AC. I absolutely do not agree with dogs being debarked because the owner can't be bothered to explore the training options open to him to solve his dog's barking problem. That speaks of laziness to me.

As a point of interest: just wondering what the parallels are between debarking and s/n. Some would say that save extreme cases (emergency spay/debarking when absolutely necessary), both are invasive surgical procedures done purely for the owner's convenience.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts