Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Golden Retriever will jump off the steps from about the 5th or 6th step, onto a hardwood floor.... slide across the floor, and smash her head into the front door if she thinks she hears something outside.... goofy dog.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I will have to say that Abbylynn invariably runs into the kitchen and all fours go out underneath her ... she does a 4 way split every time. I would think she would learn. :/

Just hoping she does not injure herself one of these times ...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Misty is not the sharpest tool in the shed, or knife in the drawer or brightest crayon in the box - however you want to phrase it. We regularly have "dumb" moments here. She regularly eats (as in swallows whole) inedible objects such as aluminum foil, plastic and rocks. She doesn't watch where she is going and walks into walls, doors, filing cabinets, gates, etc (she has had her eyes checked - she can see). She turns to run with a gusto and wham! there is something in her way.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Luke always loves to go to the patio door and watch for whatever outside that in his territory. Mostly at night he'll bark and we'll come in and see....nothing. So my mother concluded he's barking at his own reflection. There goes Doggy Harvard.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Luke always loves to go to the patio door and watch for whatever outside that in his territory. Mostly at night he'll bark and we'll come in and see....nothing. So my mother concluded he's barking at his own reflection. There goes Doggy Harvard.
Katie started barking at her reflection shortly after we brought her home at 5 1/2 months, but stopped after a week or so. Last week, just after turning 11 months, she's started again. She'll stare at "the doggy in the dishwasher" and bark (although yesterday I caught her licking the dishwasher dog, so maybe they're friends now).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Katie started barking at her reflection shortly after we brought her home at 5 1/2 months, but stopped after a week or so. Last week, just after turning 11 months, she's started again. She'll stare at "the doggy in the dishwasher" and bark (although yesterday I caught her licking the dishwasher dog, so maybe they're friends now).
Haha! Awesome! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Although this only happened once (that we caught), Maui started chasing her tail and was spinning incredibly fast trying to get it. After doing this for about 15 seconds she stopped and decided to try to run over to us, but due to her dizziness, she instead ran straight into the wall.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Haha I think Jubel has gone off on a barking/growling fit at the glass door to the backyard a few times in reaction to his reflection and/or the reflection of car headlights passing through from the front of the house at night. This only happens at night and is solved by closing the blinds. Hasn't happened for a good while so maybe he's wising up about it.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bella always gets stuck in the attic. If she follows me up there, she can never figure out how to get back down the stairs...even if I'm right there calling and trying to guide her. She will circle the opening in the attic floor and cry. They are only normal stairs - not like a ladder or anything. It takes two people to "corral" her to where the stairs start. LOL

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mine will carefully take 20 seconds to sniff out a bush or thick patch of grass to pee on, and then take 3 extra steps, totally missing his target. Then after he's done peeing, he'll take another 3 steps away and kick up an arbitrary patch of dirt/grass. I don't know if this qualifies as dumb, but it certainly makes zero sense.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Holly does this all of the time, she also growls at herself too, she never seems to beileve me when i tell her it it just her though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
haha! Loki did the same thing! He still gets confused with reflections. His thing is to chase his tail- he sits down bends over and uses his mouth in the carpet to move him towards his tail .... IF he gets it, he's so hunched over he falls backwards onto his back and he starts again ....

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Chester will sniff, sniff, sniff to find the perfect spot to pee, lift his leg and then ... oh look, a squirrel... and forget to pee. Yep, just stands there for a few seconds with his leg up while something else grabs his attention and then walks on like nothing happened.

He's walked into a telephone pole a few times while looking backwards at something, but that isn't so much a dumb thing as a careless thing. People do that kind of thing all the time (like walking into a coffee table because they don't look down)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Colby likes to indulge in eating rabbit poop. I've been trying to get him to stop that habit since it is very unhealthy. So far no luck...

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Rubbing his face all over the floor. I mean, it's like he's sweeping the floor. I hear him snorting and stuff while he's doing it. Then he might just freeze in what looks like a very awkward half-play bow (but his front legs are only a little bent), butt up, tail sideways face sideways planted on the floor with his neck bent. Then he'll do it again, freeze again, and then go scratch on his bed like he's pissed and flop down and sigh and go to sleep.

What...is that about?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Well Zoey eats Luke's poop and I think that is very dumb but she disagrees. She also frequently chooses to not utilize the last 5-6 steps on our staircase, landing/falling/skidding across the wood floor into the wall. Zoey hasn't had quite as many dumb moments yet. Most of them jump involve failed jump attempts.

Luke...oh Luke. My poor boy definitely isn't the brightest crayon. He tries real hard though. His most frequent "dumbs" are misjudging how big he is, he frequently tries to turn around in small spaces and fails, knocking his head on something. Took him a couple times to figure out that he could NOT fit under the fence like the Aussie at the barn could while they played chase. He's also done the barking at reflections thing a time or two. He also enjoys the occassional tail chasing, gets pretty intense about it. Basically anything that makes us laugh, he does it more!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Munching on grass, only to have it stick in the back of her mouth, causing coughing and wretching. But somehow, it's still enticing to eat it.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Sydney flips out all excited and barking anytime a sound is made that is even remotely similar to knocking on a door. This morning she was sitting in my lap at my desk and when I was setting her back down on the ground to get back to work my elbow bumped the desk and she went crazy. Then I got her attention and knocked a few more times to show her it was me. So she just started barking at the door more even though she was looking straight at me when I did it. No, not the brightest dog, lol.

Oh, and she also frequently spreads out at the very edge of a couch/bed when someone is petting her, resulting in her falling right off if you aren't paying attention. ;p

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Oh, and she also frequently spreads out at the very edge of a couch/bed when someone is petting her, resulting in her falling right off if you aren't paying attention. ;p
LOL

Wally did that once. He was on the hotel bed, changed how he was laying... and fell off the bed. He was like WTF just happened.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I would think they'd be used to their reflections by now but they both freak out at the dog in the fireplace or window.
If you twirl a treat in the air and say "roll over"Zoey lays down and rolls over. Ziva just stares at the treat. And wobbles her head in a circle.
Ziva regularly gets herself trapped in positions she cant get out of such as climbing under a hutch or jumping up someplace high up and then cant get down.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts