Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I brought our dog on a little two night vacation for the weekend. We are staying at a "pet-friendly" hotel. When I called the only thing they told me to keep in mind was a 40lb weight limit. Well, fine...my dog is 30lbs. I booked the reservation and when we got here after driving for six hours they informed me that she cannot be left in the hotel room at all not even when crated! Who the heck goes on a trip and never leaves the room? We haven't left yet but we want to go to lunch today instead of eating room service food. Should I hire a dog sitter?? My husband said we should leave the TV on and put the "do not disturb" sign up. I'm worried we will get "found out" and they could ask us to leave. This is the silliest thing...I am never staying at this chain again. For what it's worth, she has been extremely well behaved so far...no accidents and not one peep of barking but I'm worried she will bark when we leave...anyone know of a good pet sitter in Pittsburgh??

·
Registered
891 Posts
Can she not just go places with you guys, like lunch at an outdoor cafe? I'd be worried that she'd freak out if you leave her alone in a strange place.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
For what it's worth, my friend would take her dog on business trips and leave the dog at the hotel while she was working. Her dog was reliable though and wouldn't bark or get into trouble and she stayed at this hotel a lot. The maid service did find her out sometimes when she forgot the "do not disturb" sign, but they never complained, but I'm sure different chains would respond differently.

If the weather is nice and cool you can put her in the car with windows down (in a crate) while you eat for a little while (hopefully in view of the car). That's assuming you can't find an outdoor place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What's the deal? Probably the motel has had bad experiences with people leaving their dogs (crated or not) in their rooms and their dogs just bark and bark and bark. How would a motel stop it so other patrons don't endure it till the owners show back up? There always seem to be people who travel with pets who don't observe common courtesies (picking up after their dog, crating them to prevent damage, and not leaving them unattended to bark incessantly). This results in less pet-friendly motels, high surcharges for pets, and strict rules for pets. I empathize with you if your dog is totally quiet and trustworthy.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
We never leave our pets in a strange hotel room when we travel. If we can't take them with us on our daily outings, they are boarded.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
^ agreed I would never leave my dogs in a hotel room alone, even when I competed in flyball, we would travel as a team with 13-14 dogs and usually stay in only 1-2 hotel rooms, everytime we went anywhere, including out to eat, all dogs were loaded into the vans and taken with us, we would go to fancy restraunts, find a shady spot near a window, put crate fans and water buckets on all the crates, and leave the vans running with the AC on. when I travel with my own personal dogs, I plan all my outings keeping in mind the dogs will be along. it would not even occure to me to leave my dogs in a strange hotel room alone!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We ended up leaving the TV on and putting a blanket down for her and she was fine. There is no way we could take her in the car and leave her...it is over 80 today. Just took her for a long walk and she is very pleased! Next time we will stay somewhere that allows dogs to be left alone since she doesn't freak out over it. Can't imagine bringing a dog with separation anxiety on a trip unless the dog was going everywhere with you...unfortunately in this city most places are not dog friendly.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Don't think you're going to find many hotels that will let you leave a dog unattended in a room, crated or not. The risk to staff is too great + they don't want to deal with any soiling or chewing issues.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I have stayed in several hotels with Crystal, and I liked how two of them (one in Halifax, one in Toronto, different companies but similar policies) handled this issue. I'll quote from the Toronto one's website:

We would prefer that your pet not be left unattended in your room. If you need to leave without your pet, please inform the front desk and leave a contact number where you can be reached should your pet become agitated.

Please arrange a convenient time with the front desk when you will be out of the room with your pet, so that our housekeeping team can service your room.

Any damages to the room caused by your pet will be added to your credit card.

Should your pet create a disturbance affecting the comfort of other guests, you will be expected to compensate the hotel for this loss of revenue.
That was all fine with me, and I left Crystal in her crate in my room a couple of times when I went places she wasn't allowed. I gave the front desk my cell number, but they didn't have to call... and Crystal is quiet, so she didn't cause a disturbance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think some La Quintas allow dogs to be crated when you are out. I would understand if your dog was a barker/howler but mine rarely barks. The front desk has my # and I declined housekeeping...I guess this "unattended" thing is a general policy...perhaps that's why the hotel did not mention it. Luckily our dinner choice tonight allows pets :).

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I leave Jackson in the hotel room in Gettysburg - not often, but we do one morning at an indoor breakfast place and one night we go to an indoor dinner place. It's our tradition. I put a gate by the door just in CASE, and also a do not disturb sign, as well as turn the TV up semi-loud. I'm not sure if there's even a rule that states not to... but I do it anyways and all has always been fine. Though of course I always opt to bring him when we can, sometimes it's not possible. And I know he has so much fun so I'm not going to NOT bring him just because he's gotta be left alone for 2 hours.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have stayed in about a dozen pet-friendly hotels. All of them have required that you stay with the dog or leave a number if you are going to leave.

I always respect the rules of the hotel. If too many people don't, fewer places will allow dogs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think as long as your dog is reliable it's fine. I'm sure the rule was enstated due to dogs barking/howling. I guess you never really know how your dog will react to a strange place but I think some people bring dogs that shouldn't come along and would fare better with a pet sitter. With that said, I definitely wouldn't bring her on a trip longer than 3-4 days. It's a lot of work to bring a dog along & not exactly "leisure" but I thought I'd do it as a treat and she has enjoyed it :)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I guess I assumed that dogs would have to go with you if you stayed at a dog friendly hotel. If I owned a hotel, I would do the same thing that Crantastic's hotel says. Dogs may be fine alone at home but they can get out of sorts away from home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts