Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a dog eats grass when it has a tummy ache...but my dog eats grass all the time. She rarely has tummy troubles. Seems like she likes to eat it for fun, she rips it up in her mouth and runs, she lays in it and nibbles ect... This doesn't mean she always has a tummy ache right? And should I let her eat it as she pleases?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Some dogs just like grass, I think. As long as your grass hasn't been chemically treated, she should be fine.

·
Registered
500 Posts
All of my dogs eat grass. They just eat it, one will eat it and barf, sometimes not. I don't think it's a problem unless there's chemicals or dry foxtail seeds in it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I imagine some dogs eat it out of boredom or to purge something from their digestive tract. But, grasses (and weeds) are sources of nutrients too...... Think barley "grass", wheat "grass", seaweeds (kelp, nori, spirulina). Dandelion is high in calcium and can be purchased (for our human salads) at Whole Foods for more then what most lettuces cost...

PetMD has some info on the nutritinal aspect too.. http://www.petmd.com/dog/wellness/evr_dg_eating_grass?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=eating%20grass&utm_campaign=Dogs&gclid=CPT7vtLY0bACFUu4tgodhxzt1Q

·
Registered
500 Posts
Dandelion is high in calcium and can be purchased (for our human salads) at Whole Foods for more then what most lettuces cost...
Haha! My yard is filled with them! I can just go out there and grab a handful if I want some dandelion greens instead of spend muchos bucks on an "exotic" food from an overpriced store.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haha! My yard is filled with them! I can just go out there and grab a handful if I want some dandelion greens instead of spend muchos bucks on an "exotic" food from an overpriced store.
Hee hee hee!! I totally agree!!!! We purposefully don't treat our yard with chemicals so I can and do pick young dandelion but I'm always FREAKED the our male foster dog may have lifted his leg on them...... EEEWWWWWW :)

Almost all my shopping used to be at Wild Oats. I was SOOOOOO MAD when Whole Foods bought them out and closed em down -- grrrrr.. I actually quit shopping there all together. Luckily, we got a Trader Joes last year. They seem to be better priced then the regular grocery stores in my area :)..

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Honestly, I don't even think the tummy ache thing is true. I've heard it over and over again but it doesn't really make sense to me and I've yet to see any real evidence to back up that claim. My dog eats grass and she never ever pukes because of it. She either thinks it tastes good or is fun to nibble on or both. People really overthink things sometimes, IMO, though I am of course not immune to it myself. ;p

I just think somebody somewhere was like, "My dog pukes when he eats grass. He must be doing on purpose to make himself puke!" When obviously in reality it could be a plethora of reasons, and a coincidence makes more sense. I'm sure dogs just like to chew on grass and it probably gets stuck in their throats sometimes or doesn't digest properly (there's a reason humans don't eat grass) and that makes them puke. But I highly doubt any dog does that on purpose. That's like saying your dog ate chocolate on purpose to commit suicide. ;p

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yeah buddy eats grass all the time, sometimes he pukes but I chalk it up to eating too much horse poo :S. Izze would also eat grass & she puked a lot, now I don't know if thats bc of too MUCH grass, or a piece that 'went down the wrong way' or what.

Here is something (I think) that's related; my dogs like totally love ... Horse food (we feed a dry, pelleted feed, not the ones with molasses in it) that they love to eat, they have been getting grain free food & OH thinks that they are craving grain, (I just think they like the taste of it lol) so I got NVI prairie venison/millet just to test his theory. Who know he might be onto something.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Funny, my dog will go for my rats' lab blocks if they're on the floor... I try to keep them picked up so they aren't wasted though.

ETA: My dog goes for a specific type of grass, she kept stopping to nom it on our hike today. No idea what kind it is. But she never pukes from it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My dogs both eat grass, they've both puked it up on a number of occasions, but most of the time they don't. I have, however, noticed a significant decrease in the grass eating since both have been switched over to a %100 raw diet. Not sure why this would make a difference but like mentioned it might be a nutrient thing, and/or purging the digestive system of something that does not belong.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My dogs both eat grass, they've both puked it up on a number of occasions, but most of the time they don't. I have, however, noticed a significant decrease in the grass eating since both have been switched over to a %100 raw diet. Not sure why this would make a difference but like mentioned it might be a nutrient thing, and/or purging the digestive system of something that does not belong.
I have wondered about this. My dogs are mini cows they all graze and eat figs. My poor fig trees are constantly under I attack. I feed high end kibble, but it's still kibble. I have wondered if I switched to raw if would it stop.

Every foster dog that I have had eats the grass too. I like to think I just have sweet grass.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I do know from my own experience that when Leeo was having his first symptoms of something wrong with his health ... he would gobble mouthfuls of grass as quickly as he could and then he would vomit and go into a pancreatic attack. So it must also be an aid to digestion during illness or to rid the body of toxins ........

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I think there is some truth to eating grass with a upset tummy. Jackson does it with both though. It's funny.

When we are outside, sometimes it seems like more of a nervous habit. If he's got a lot of energy and has been running and chasing my dads dog and swimming, etc, he immediately hops out of the pool and quickly starts munching on grass, like he's trying to release some pent up energy or something, it's weird. I always thought maybe it was the moisture in it, and his way of getting some? LOL I don't know. Then sometimes it's purely out of boredom, or maybe the fact that it just tastes good.

Yet the one night when he was throwing up ALL night long and ended up in the ER, he kept racing to the door to go outside and he would start eating grass in order to make himself get up whatever was left.

But oddly enough, I can tell a difference between his "I am just eating grass for fun" or his "I am sick and need to eat grass" haha. It's very rarely because he's feeling sick. And he never pukes from just eating grass on a daily basis.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have wondered about this. My dogs are mini cows they all graze and eat figs. My poor fig trees are constantly under I attack. I feed high end kibble, but it's still kibble. I have wondered if I switched to raw if would it stop.

Every foster dog that I have had eats the grass too. I like to think I just have sweet grass.
I am continueing to monitor the grass eating, but I have noticed they don't eat nearly as much of it now that they don't eat any kibble what so ever. They were previously about half raw, and half high quality kibble fed. My dogs would nibble on grass every day, each time they were outside. If one of them did have an upset tummy, they would gorge on the grass until they puked up whatever was ailing them. Neither dog has had a slight digestive issue, or seems to be as interested in grazing on grass since we've made the %100 raw switch. So although I'm no expert and can't say for sure if its because of the raw diet that is decreasing their interest in grass and roots, something has definitely changed.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Maybe it is the canine equivalent of Jello? Tasty yet soothing if you have a tummy ache.

Max eats grass both because it tastes good and when he has an upset. Sometimes it comes back up and sometimes it comes out the other end.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Dobermans are definitely known for grazing... I've never had the opportunity to observe the variety of grass.

My Lab-GSD mix picks out and eats chicken grass (which is like crab grass, but smoother), stops to eat clumps of a round leafed grass that I've never identified, and selects long strands of bermuda to snack on. He does Not snack on crab grass... However, when he is sick (???) he will signal me to go outside (and won't go to the bathroom), then rush to chew up crab grass... he'll keep chewing and within 5 minutes he will start churning and throw up. I can't generalize this to other dogs... but one datum point seems to establish the fact :)

·
Banned
30 Posts
Coco eats grass frequently, it's just something she does... if I'm sitting in the grass I'll hold a piece at its roots and she'll go for it! I guess the grass I pick is best, haha. Sometimes she does throw it back up, but is don't think it's related to feeling sick. She eats it way too often for that.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My dog eats grass...
but
Im more concerned about her eating mushrooms....
Ooh, we get these weird mushrooms that like, melt into black goo when you touch them! It's soooo strange. They will be fine for a little bit, and when they are big enough for the dogs to notice, I'll go out and try to pull them, but they just liquidize! It's so odd. I think they are called Ink caps, or something like that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts