Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm feeding my pitbull this bully max and it's very good but it's crazy expensive

anything with similar ingredients that's a lot cheaper?

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
some suggestions for you to have a look at

Victor Nutra Pro, 38/18
Inukshuk Pro, 32/32 or 30/25
Purina ProPlan Sport, 30/20

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
First 10 ingredients of Bully Max:
Chicken meal, brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried plain beet pulp, ground sorghum, pearled barley, brewers dried yeast, whole ground flaxseed, menhaden fish meal, egg product

and first 10 of Pro Plan Sport:
Chicken, Corn Gluten Meal, Rice, Beef Fat Preserved With Mixed-Tocopherols, Poultry By-Product Meal (Source Of Glucosamine), Whole Grain Corn, Corn Germ Meal, Dried Egg Product, Fish Meal (Source Of Glucosamine), Natural Flavor

Pro Plan starts with chicken rather than the more concentrated chicken meal, has corn products which some people don't like (I think its fine) and beef fat vs chicken fat which seems irrelevent

Bully Max likely gets more of its protein from named animal meats and has a generally "better" ingredient list but similar overall nutritional profile at around double the price.

EDIT TO ADD
my personal preference on that list is the Victor but I have fed all three before at some point in time

The Inukshuk can be too high in fat for some dogs, I had gotten this insane closeout/damaged bag sale so fed it only to the more active dog (this was several years ago)

I like that Victor specifies the percent sources of protein in all their formulas

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Hmm... looking at the Bully Max package in the link, and there is no AAFCO Statement of Nutritional Adequacy?

Oh, and before the "OMG, by-products" reaction, poultry by-products is NOT feathers. It's things like organs and feet.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Hmm... looking at the Bully Max package in the link, and there is no AAFCO Statement of Nutritional Adequacy?

Oh, and before the "OMG, by-products" reaction, poultry by-products is NOT feathers. It's things like organs and feet.
Did you scroll down past the supplement? the regular dry food is listed as ALS

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Did you scroll down past the supplement? the regular dry food is listed as ALS
They say it is, but on the package, I didn't seen an AAFCO statement for either formulation or feeding trials.

These are the three formats for nutritional adequacy statements

1. “ __ is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog (or cat) Food Nutrient Profiles for .”

· The first blank must show the product name (the same name on the front of the package).

· The statement says if the product is for cats or dogs.

· The second blank says what life stage the product is for.

2. “Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that __ provides complete and balanced nutrition for _.”

· The first blank must show the product name (the same name on the front of the package).

· “AAFCO procedures” are standardized feeding protocols that define how feeding trials are to be conducted and assessed.

3. provides complete and balanced nutrition for __ and is comparable to a product which has been substantiated using AAFCO feeding tests”

· Note that this particular nutritional adequacy statement is not used often. Products justified nutritionally adequate in this way are sometimes referred to as “family products,” meaning the product is similar, but not identical, to one which has been subjected to animal feeding tests. The differences may include minor formulation changes that do not affect the products’ nutritional basis.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
They say it is, but on the package, I didn't seen an AFFCO statement for either formulation or feeding trials.

These are the three formats for nutritional adequacy statements

1. “ __ is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog (or cat) Food Nutrient Profiles for .”

· The statement says if the product is for cats or dogs.

2. “Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that __ provides complete and balanced nutrition for _.”

· “AAFCO procedures” are standardized feeding protocols that define how feeding trials are to be conducted and assessed.

3. provides complete and balanced nutrition for __ and is comparable to a product which has been substantiated using AAFCO feeding tests”

· Note that this particular nutritional adequacy statement is not used often. Products justified nutritionally adequate in this way are sometimes referred to as “family products,” meaning the product is similar, but not identical, to one which has been subjected to animal feeding tests. The differences may include minor formulation changes that do not affect the products’ nutritional basis.
I had to go find bigger images of the package, you're correct the AAFCO statement is not listed.

i asked if you were seeing the right product because the first time I clicked the Amazon link above, it only loaded through to the ads below the supplement and I was like "That's not a food though?"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts