1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
The lighter shading isn't uncommon in yellow labs.

The curl tail is odd. Doesn't fit golden, either.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
He's cute. Plenty of pure bred dogs fail to meet breed standards. Siberian Huskies aren't supposed to have curled tails either but around here most do. The people probably didn't know who the father was and he looked like a lab as a baby so they called him pure bred lab.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'd guess some sort of lab mix, but looks like it got mostly lab genes.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Overall, she looks very "Labby", but not quite. Her coat looks a bit long for a Lab and I don't think I've ever seen a Lab with that curly a tail. Its kind of hard to tell if it's just shading (normal) or actual white markings. You can find the odd mismarked Lab, but they are uncommon.

Whatever she is, she's adorable.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
There are expensive DNA tests you can send away for. I did and it was interesting. One is Wisdom Panel. Another is Embark. I did Wisdom Panel and only needed to swap the inside of my dogs' mouths. Some need to be done by a vet.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You could also reframe in your mind your idea of what a Labrador is; a dog that looks and acts a certain way, with certain innate talents and qualities. All dog breeds are an amalgamation of canine traits selected for, and bred for, by humans. Then one day we named a certain dog or group of dogs "Purebred _______" and the breed's history started from there. It's historical, but it's nothing sacred or immaculate.

You selected your pup because she looked quite Labrador-y to you, so for all intents and purposes she is your Lab. Without a pedigree I'm assuming you weren't going to show her in conformation, or breed her...so your opinion is the only one that matters! ;)

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I agree:
1. Does he have webbed feet?
2. Does he like water, will he drink from a hose, does he play with or bite at the water if you squirt it towards him?
3. Can he be kind of clumsy, does he love to play?
4. Does he nip with sharp teeth, or with a soft mouth?

He may not be a Lab mix; he could be a Golden mix. Individuals can be very similar, but a Lab tends to be more rough and tumble, and a Golden may be less tough and more sensitive ... but that's difficult to distinguish.

The coloration is unusual. I wonder if he might be mixed with a spaniel? Where are you, and what breeds are common?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.