Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Meet Barley - my new rescue dog. Some people say he looks like a pit bull mix but he is listed as a whippet/lab mix on his papers. What do you think? I think the whippet is likely due to his legs/feet/tail but I'm not sure. He's about 45 lbs fully grown. Do you see any other breeds in there? I love pondering these things. (He's the brown dog in the pics)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I could believe whippet or some kind of sighthound especially with the ears. Labs do have a strong square head which makes a lot of lab mixes come off as looking like pit mixes, but it can be really difficult to tell. Whatever he is, he's super cute!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
That kind of cowlicky fur on the side of his head is just like my cattle dog, same color too :p If he has any in him though, it's definitely not strong. maybe a cattle dog / whippet / something else.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I definitely see sighthound (Whippet or Greyhound) in his eyes and face. Lab seems believeable, too, I think his fur would be thinner if he were mixed with pit bull. He has the somewhat thick fur like a Lab mix would have. He's a cutie!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everyone! I'm pretty sold on the whippet thing. We took him to a vet and to a training class over the weekend and both of them immediately called him a whippet. As for what he's mixed with, I have no idea, but I think that lab is a really good guess. In any case, he's a sweetheart and we love him so much already!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would have though Whippet/Boxer. I don't see pitt bull or lab. Lab genes seem dominate, esp. in black. I've seen many lab mixes that look nearly purebred. And pittbulls have that huge mouth that tends to show up, even in mixes. Whatever he is, he is a cutie.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
that 2nd pic made me think JRT...ear set and expression, mostly......maybe Whippet/JRT/? ?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Whippet x definitely seems accurate...when I first say the headshot picture that's what I thought. As for the other part? It could be lab I guess...I don't know, nothing really "jumps" out at me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts