Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know what other people use for the cushion in your dog's crate?
This is what I use for both of my dog's (Frankie & Johnnie)

Johnnie has
Comfy Plush Crate Mat put in pillow case prevent her from destroying it. Then I wrap it with a fleece blanket with another fleece blanket I put in the crate to create a illusion of pillow I fold it into 3

Frankie has
Precision Pet SnooZZy Original Crate Beds with roll edges in a pillow case and wrap with a fleece blanket

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
A memory foam bed/cushion designed to help prevent hip injuries.

Sometimes I take it out so he can lay on it in my room (you can see it in my sig. image)

In my room he lays on a cushion filled with wood chips to help absorb odor (not that he has any) and provide a natural-ish feel.

He likes doing that digging thing on it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
fleece blanket and a furry hot water bottle. Hes in a cats travel box at the minute but when he gets a bit bigger Ill get him a dog version and prob put some vet bed in it.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I used to have one of those fleece crate pads, but when Shippo was around a year old, he got bored one day and shredded it. After that he slept on the bare crate floor for a while before I went out and got a cheap microplush blanket. That's what he's on now. I've got it folded up so it's cushiony and fits just right in the crate.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My dog doesn't have a crate in the house. He doesn't need one, and he has not since tiny puppyhood.

However, he has one in the van for safe riding- and it has a very large, plush comforter that used to be on my queen-sized bed. The crate also has a chew bone he rarely touches and a water bucket clipped to the side.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Unfortuntely, nothing. Both Bayne and Baylee with shred up everything. I do put nyla bones and kongs in though.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Holly has an Afghan blanket my grandmother made her and her Kong.

J.C. cannot handle a blanket... any time I've ever had one in there, he'll pee on it and then proceed to try and tear it up. So he just has a few chew toys.

Shadow (when her crate is out), has a few towels.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Depending on the dog either an old comforter or a dog bed. And everyone has a Kong and bully stick. Only 3 sleep in their crates but they chew on their toys in them or just lay in them during the day lol.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Cushion? :D You mean chewtoy? ;) Eventually I had to leave everything out of my crates except the bare crate floor - and replace my plastic crate tray with a steel one. :rolleyes: About the only safe thing to put in is a frozen stuffed Kong (non-frozen don't last long enough for any substantial crate time). Gotta love those huskies, they sure know how to keep themselves occupied!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bear doesn't use a crate, but Cubby does.

And the only thing in his crate is an old blanket. Anything too plushy he feels the need to take the stuffing out of, and toys don't last long in the crate. Dog beds are just too expensive to have him destroy in less than a day....

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Trent has his divider, as we bought him a large sized crate, and a worn t-shirt of mine, which he has yet to rip.

For entertainement he has the occasional stuffed Kong, his bully stick, a Nylabone, and one of those flexible ball toys.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Cardboard boxes.

No lie. I had to stuff the back of Little's crate with cardboard boxes because it's too big (and it's the smallest size available!) and he tends to pee at night on his bed... I really dislike crate training.

But there's a newspaper for lining, a towel to sleep on... no toys, because I'm afraid that he'll choke on them.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Basil has a square dog bed in his crate. It's double sided, one side a kind of shearling-like material, the other smooth windbreaker type material. It's flipped over to the smooth side since it's summer. It's also thick around the edges, so it's sort of like a little bowl XD I usually toss a stuffed Kong in there to lure him in (though he usually doesn't need much convincing) and sometimes a rawhide stick, too. At night he doesn't really need any toys or treats, but during the day I like to make sure he's occupied. Oh, and I also usually put a little baby blanket in there, too, because he likes to dig on it before he goes to sleep, but I think he piddled on it a little bit because it stinks, so I took it out to wash it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was unaware that some kind of padding should be put in the crate. Right now my puppy sleeps on the hard plastic flooring of the crate. He seems fine, but should I put some sort of padding in the crate?

Also, I put a toy or a busy-bone in there, but never any food or water. But when I let him out, he RUNS to his water bowl. He's only in there for 4-5 hours at a time- maximum. Nonetheless.... should I be putting a water bowl in his crate if he shows such thirst each time he gets out?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts