Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ii have a 1 year old alapaha blue blood bulldog. I have bought several chew toys, but the all end up destroyed within a day or two. I need something thats more durable.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The Kong brand toys are good. You can stuff them with peanut butter and treats, and freeze them, so your dog will have to lick the stuff out and it will last longer. Also, some of the nylabone toys last a long time.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
I agree with the above posters, but antlers. My dog will chew for HOURS a day on his and after two weeks you can tell he's had it, but that at the rate It's going it should last months more.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have a strong chewing pup and as was said - Kongs last, so do the Nylabone plastic, I have an antler and it's lasting but I bought a base (round disc, she doesn't seem to care for it too much) and am going to try a long one; I also bought this chew toy from Petsmart that looks like a child's jack (think playing jacks with a ball) that that also seems to be lasting. here's the link: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12734990&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

We tried "indestructable" soft toys - don't waste your money!

·
Registered
111 Posts
My dog's chewing has calmed down a bit, but when he first came. to us a few months ago he was ripping through everything (I lived in constant fear of bowel obstruction - no fun). The one thing has lasted forever is this nylabone branch thing:http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-DuraChew-Hollow-Stick-Souper/dp/B005DGIA5I/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1355696565&sr=1-1&keywords=Nylabone+branch. It's pretty amazing.

They also have had good luck with antlers, which last a while, those bones that you can get filled with various things, and the kongs, although I've found they actually don't really like the kongs as much as the nylabones, but I think that varies from dog to dog.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Gonuts!!! Gonuts!!! Gonuts!!!!!

And if your dog kills em, they replace them.

Empty and rinsed bleach bottles (with supervision!)

Black HUGE kongs, a size or two above what the dog should have.

Nylabone Dental Dinosaurs. And Galelao bones.

Jolly Balls.

Tirebiters.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Favorite toy in the whole world. It was created for horses.. so imagine the durability on this toy.. later folks discovered that dogs loves them too. I have GSD... yep, she's destroyed everything but her JollyBall. The one with the rope looks awesome, I think I"m going to pick it up for her for X-mas. My dog has the "Tug n Toss"

http://jollypets.com/?page_id=15

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Favorite toy in the whole world. It was created for horses.. so imagine the durability on this toy.. later folks discovered that dogs loves them too. I have GSD... yep, she's destroyed everything but her JollyBall. The one with the rope looks awesome, I think I"m going to pick it up for her for X-mas. My dog has the "Tug n Toss"

http://jollypets.com/?page_id=15
My monsters demo the rope in short order. For really bad chewers, consider rope-less.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I just got the Nylabone branch mentioned above 2 weeks ago and thus far my dog loves it. More than any of her other Nylabones, second only to her elk antler.

I have a friend whose dog broke a tooth (and had to have it pulled) on a Durable Dental Dino so I don't buy them, but that is anecdotal. They are certainly durable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Petstages makes a line of soft rubber toys called "Orka." They are blue, come in many different shapes, sizes, and textures. Some have rope, tassels, and hollow parts to shove treats to keep the dog interested.

I also tried one of those "indestructible, tested on tigers and bears..." but it took my 5 month old puppy two chewing sessions to rip the stuffing out. If there is a seam, Kovy will find it...

Petstages toys saved my apartment from a teething puppy!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Petstages makes a line of soft rubber toys called "Orka." They are blue, come in many different shapes, sizes, and textures. Some have rope, tassels, and hollow parts to shove treats to keep the dog interested.

I also tried one of those "indestructible, tested on tigers and bears..." but it took my 5 month old puppy two chewing sessions to rip the stuffing out. If there is a seam, Kovy will find it...

Petstages toys saved my apartment from a teething puppy!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought him the Nylabone Durachew and he loves it. He was confused at first on what it was since it was made out of a different material than his normal toys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Large breeds, like my German shepherd, are very aggressive chewers. Do NOT give such a dog a hard bone - it will destroy his/her teeth. I am in the middle of $2200 worth of dental surgery on my dog right now. When he is done, he will have had extractions, root canals, and crowns on his back teeth from chewing on a very hard bone. Had we known the danger, we would never have given them to him. Our vet spotted a cracked molar, and it went downhill from there. Makes me mad such bones are even on the market, and without warning labels!

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Sorry to hear that your dog suffered from a slab fracture. The same thing happened to my dog, though thankfully it was minor (one piece slabbed off) and not a full-on cracked molar. I'm keeping an eye on it for now, but I also no longer give him very hard and edible chews, or weight bearing bones. I hope your dog's surgery goes smoothly!
But I must say that the 'fault' is on us owners. Every chew comes with its own hazards and some dogs like ours cannot handle these kinds of items. But there are many dogs who are able to chew hard or weight bearing bones 'responsibly.' The warning label is universal: supervise, and know your dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to hear that your dog suffered from a slab fracture. The same thing happened to my dog, though thankfully it was minor (one piece slabbed off) and not a full-on cracked molar. I'm keeping an eye on it for now, but I also no longer give him very hard and edible chews, or weight bearing bones. I hope your dog's surgery goes smoothly!
But I must say that the 'fault' is on us owners. Every chew comes with its own hazards and some dogs like ours cannot handle these kinds of items. But there are many dogs who are able to chew hard or weight bearing bones 'responsibly.' The warning label is universal: supervise, and know your dog.
I agree with the need to supervise, and we do, but we had no clue about the damage until the vet found it. It happens slowly, over a period of months or years, and is not obvious to us. The vet knew what to look for.

I should also mention that most of the damage was due to wear on the back teeth. The final straw was when he broke off a tooth and cracked a molar in half. Until then, the damage was not noticeable to the untrained eye. The "bone" was a large, hard plastic artificial bone. If your dog is chewing on one of those, you need to inspect his teeth frequently for wear, or just throw the thing away.

·
Banned
428 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts