Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

What's a good breed for my grandfather?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Vivyd 
#1 ·
My grandfather is in his 80's. He's loved dogs all his life, took care of some decades ago when he lived in a village.

He's pretty healthy right now, goes on walks regularly and doesn't have many health problems except for the occasional hip pain, but he really wants a dog again. I also think it'd be a good idea for him to have a companion. It would definitely make him a lot happier than he is at the moment.

The thing is, I've also been researching on dog breeds for the elderly, and all the results seem to suggest smaller lap dogs, like Pomeranians or Yorkshire Terriers, but he doesn't want a small dog. What he's looking for is an intelligent dog breed of medium-large size. He has his eyes set on a Labrador Retriever. But I'm worried that a dog of that size might need more exercise than my grandpa can give him/her.

What dog breed would you recommend for an older person? Maybe I'm being too cautious, and a Lab would be just fine?

#2 · (Edited)
Does he have a yard where he could throw a ball for fetch? Does he have the income for an occasional dog walker or day of dog daycare?

I'd suggest a middle aged rescue. A dog that is 4-7 years old or so and moderate energy. A lab or lab mix maybe but one key point would be getting a dog that is already good on a leash and doesn't lunge or pull. Even a 30 lb dog that pulls hard can yank an older person to the ground.

A greyhound is a breed that often comes into rescue already crate trained and generally well mannered. There are a lot of middle aged and senior greyhounds coming from the tracks that need homes and every one I've met has been very sweet and calm around people and other dogs and good on the leash.

Depending on where you are (what country or region), there will be different common dog breeds that need homes. Some places don't have as many dogs in shelters, but if you ask around at dog clubs or with breeders, they are likely to know of a dog that needs to be rehomed through no fault of his own. Maybe family financial or health problems etc.

Please do plan ahead though for if your grandfather becomes unable to care for a dog so that the dog doesn't end up back in a shelter. Everyone should consider what may happen to their dogs, but someone who is older and/or more likely to develop health problems in the near future might want to have a more solid plan in place if that makes sense.

#3 · (Edited)
He lives in the Toronto region of Ontario, with a backyard around 30 by 40 feet if you don't consider the deck. But as he's going back to China for a few weeks during the summer, it seems like he plans on getting a dog there and bringing it back. I am unsure whether he could or would pay to have someone else walk for him.
Thanks a lot for your advice, I'll talk to him about getting a milder tempered dog, as well as who he would trust with the dog should something happen.

#4 ·
Another option would be to foster for a local rescue. That way he would get the benefit of having a dog around, but if something should happen, the rescue would take the dog back and place it with another foster home. He would also get the satisfaction of helping a charity, plus many rescues will cover the cost of food and medical expenses.

#5 ·
LIving with an adult in a calm environment almost anydog could suit-- he could adopt a shelter dog or a sharpei mix (in China right, am thinking they are easy to get there).... and make it work-- young adult/ adult better than a very young puppy... let us know.... how it turns out....

#8 ·
Basset Hound! They are great dogs for older people cause they are perfectly happy to rest on bad days and are perfectly happy to go on walks. very mellow dogs. They do whatever you do happily. They are also very affectionate and great best friends and make good company cause they love their people. but not overwhelming. Easy to care for. but also getting adult because training any puppy can be stressful for anyone.

#10 ·
I don't know what breeds are common in China, I'm sure it varies by area there also. However, unless he knows someone there that has a dog available or something along those lines, I think finding one locally in Canada is probably better. A medium/large dog will have to be shipped with the luggage (rather than inside the cabin like a very small dog, although depending on the airline and route some don't allow any in-cabin pets anyway) and its a pretty long flight. That can be very stressful on a dog that isn't well crate trained and there are temperature/seasonal restrictions which might be a problem in the heat of summer.

I think that the individual dog is overall more important than breed in this case. He definitely does NOT want a puppy or very young dog (under about 2 years old). I'd suggest a breed or mix that doesn't need a lot of grooming. A short haired dog will shed but is very easy to bathe and doesn't need professional grooming. A long haired dog will shed but with regular brushing, most grooming can be done at home. Breeds that need trimming like poodles means a trip to the groomers every 6-8 weeks for most people.

Since he's got a bit of a backyard, that can help him exercise the dog on days when it is icy or snowy (dangerous walking conditions) or if he has some aches and pains that day. Fetch is fun for many dogs, he can get a small plastic kids pool for warm weather, can play hide and seek with toys etc.

#12 ·
Some shelters will let older people adopt senior dogs for reduced price or free in a "seniors for seniors" deal! A 10+ year old dog would be lower energy, easier to manage, and there won't be as big of a chance that the dog will be around still when he no longer able to care for him/her. And so, so many seniors have a rough time finding homes because of their age!

#14 ·
Do you know why he wants to get a dog in China? Especially if he wants a Lab? I mean, if he fell in love with a particular dog in China and wanted to bring it back with him, that's one thing, but to deliberately make that choice seems a bit odd, considering the time, money, and hassle it takes to bring a dog overseas.

But anyway, yes, an older dog would be best. Especially if he gets a Lab, as they are very hyper and nippy when young, and an older person with thin skin and reduced mobility might have trouble with that.

#16 ·
I would also highly recommend getting the dog in Canada not China.

I'm currently living in China but am planning on returning home and bringing my dog with me. Re-locating a dog is nothing to take on lightly, and it seems to be a fairly big hassle and can take quite a long time depending on where you are going. I think Canada requires dogs imported from China to be micro-chipped and to of been vaccinated for rabies/had a rabies booster shot in the last 1 month to a year. It may also require a parasite treatment something like 1-3days before departure for things like worms, fleas etc etc. All of this has to be done at a government approved vet...of which there aren't many as far as I can tell. There's one on Shanghai that I know of. Just the one. I'm guessing the other major centers will have one as well.

Also besides avoiding all that hassle by getting a dog in Canada, you could also get a dog from a reputable breeder (very uncommon in China), who health tests and will be able to give you a good idea of what you will be getting. Lots of countries have problems with puppy mill dogs and China is no exception. If anything it's even worse. I didn't know about the situation here before I bought a dog together with my now ex-girlfriend. The puppy seemed healthy and lively but within two days of bringing him home he got sick and required veterinary treatment that ended up costing more than he did in the first place...and we went to a fairly up-market pet store. I know many, many other people that had the exact same experience. Anyway, let's just say lesson learned. I won't be so naive next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.