Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm a veteran dog owner that has had dogs over a span of 22 years. I am looking towards the future and thinking about what dog I'd like to get next, and I'm looking for some advice on a breed that would suit me. I'm looking for:
  • Non-shedder good for allergy sufferers
  • Small (less than 20 lbs)
  • Easygoing
  • Good with kids
  • Relatively easy to train (at least basic commands and house training)
  • Whose sole mission in life is to please me and keep my lap warm :wink:
What would you suggest? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I would suggest you look at the toy group, and see if any of those breeds appeal to you. Most of those breeds were originally bred to be lap dogs/warmers/etc.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/toy_group.cfm

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Havanese? Shih tzu? Bichon?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'd thought Havanese or Shih Tzu as well. What about a Japanese Chin, or a Maltese? Are they all good for allergies and pretty low energy? My problem is that my current dog is a Miniature Schauzer. He's a great dog, and there's no way I'm giving him up, but he's much higher energy than I anticipated. It's super frustrating and I'd like to avoid that with our next dog, some years in the future!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I'd thought Havanese or Shih Tzu as well. What about a Japanese Chin, or a Maltese? Are they all good for allergies and pretty low energy? My problem is that my current dog is a Miniature Schauzer. He's a great dog, and there's no way I'm giving him up, but he's much higher energy than I anticipated. He's a runner, so the slightest opportunity he finds to slip out of the house, he's gone. It's super frustrating and I'd like to avoid that with our next dog, some years in the future!
Well that is a terrier for you, what your Mini Schnauzer is.

I think a Chin or a Maltese would be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts