Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
One that is extremely people and kid friendly! And is not reactive at all. I personally like long haired dogs although I don't own one at this time but this is a personal preference.

Both of our dogs have been like this although our last dog was a little more social where she actually enjoyed being petted and belly rubs. Zoey tends to be happy people are over but is not into petting or belly rubs.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I don't think there is a best.

Individual families and there lifestyle, make a huge impact on what breeds/types would work best for a families needs and wants.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Too many factors to consider for a one size fits all, IMO. Age of kids, other pets in the home, home set up, lifestyle, activity level of family, etc.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I agree all families are different and have different needs.

I think they only thing pretty general is an overall known tolerance for children, cause when I hear "family" dog I think children.

But even that varies, I mean I have found MOST all shiz tzus, I've been around to be fantastic with kids, tolerant and juat sweethearts, cuddly and playful. But I would be wary of families with toddlers because of the size of the dog in comparison to a clumsy toddler.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
As others have said, I think many dogs can fit very well into a family.

That being said, I think people use "family dog" as a term to indicate that a dog will get along with a family with little to no training. For instance, Golden Retrievers and Labs are supposed to be good "family dogs", which means people think they require minimal training and work, which just isn't the case at all. I've worked at numerous doggy day care centers, and by far and away the worst dogs to manage were the 'family' Labs and Goldens that were allowed to run amok in their homes.

Almost every dog can be a good family dog with the right training (the only breeds I'd exclude from this are the very large, intense guarding breeds, like Tibetan Mastiffs). And literally any dog could be a "bad" family dog with the wrong training.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I don't think there is one "best" dog breed for families, because there are many factors to consider. And I think there are many breeds that do really well as family dogs.

I do think it's hard to go wrong with a poodle though. They are not too active, but active enough, friendly with people, other dogs, smaller animals (usually), easy to train, people focused, smart, funny, etc. They come in 3-4 different sizes, so there is a size to suit everyone. The only downside is the grooming, but then they don't shed, which a lot of people would consider a huge advantage.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for everyone who have answered. I actually never thought of it that way, and now I see what you guys mean by that there isn't a "best" breed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts